Help with MIDI Mapping [NOOB]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sirjeeves

Help with MIDI Mapping [NOOB]

Post by sirjeeves » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Hey folks, hope this is the right forum for this. Please excuse my ignorance. This is my first keyboard/controller and just starting to learn and get the hang of things.

I recently purchased a Launchkey 49 MK3 which came with Ableton Live Lite. When I select and use any device it seems that my entire range of keys is not enabled and chopped up mapping to other various functionalities.

Some examples:
When in Octave 0 the last three keys on the right of the keyboard do not register any sound although the MIDI light blinks. If I move to Octave 1 there are a set of four keys 3/4 to the right that do not work as well as the last key on the right that triggers a clip to start recording. If I move to Octave 3 there are some other weird things that are mapped to various keys. I assume this is some splitting or mapping but I am unable to find where that is occurring in the software.

Is there an article or somewhere in the manual that I might have overlooked regarding this feature? I have also checked MIDI mapping in Ableton Live and it currently shows that nothing has been mapped.

Thanks!

sirjeeves

Re: Help with MIDI Mapping [NOOB]

Post by sirjeeves » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:32 pm

So I finally figured it out. For my MIDI out, the Launchkey was also selected as a controller. For those stumbling upon this in the future, seems like an easy mistake to make as how the instructions from Novation show a picture with Launchkey set as the controller for both.