Question about using Hardware as MIDI

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
papasmurfeys

Question about using Hardware as MIDI

Post by papasmurfeys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:46 pm

I have an old Casio LK-100 keyboard that I'm trying to use as a midi device by plugging it in to my amp via instrument cable, and then plugging my amp into my pc via micro usb. There is midi in and out ports on the keyboard but unfortunately, I don't have a midi cable. And in case it matters, I'm using Ableton Live 10 Lite.

Tarekith

Re: Question about using Hardware as MIDI

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:00 pm

You didn't ask a question.

TLW

Re: Question about using Hardware as MIDI

Post by TLW » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:30 pm

I’m guessing you are wondering how to connect the Casio MIDI input and output to a computer.

You can not use an audio cable or an audio connection for MIDI. MIDI is not audio and audio is not MIDI. You need a MIDI interface that has 5 pin DIN in and out like the Casio and also has a USB plug that connects to the computer. Audio will not be sent through that connection because, again, MIDI is not audio.

Your best option might be to get an audio interface that also has input and output sockets for MIDI. Or a MIDI controller keyboard (without any built in sounds) that connects to the computer using a USB cable then use software synthesiser plugins in Live to provide your sounds.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.