The music you listen to and the music you make

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
telekom

The music you listen to and the music you make

Post by telekom » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:20 pm

I'm wondering... do you listen to the same kind of music you make?

I used to listen to lots of techno and drum n bass, but when I wanted to make music I got my guitar and played the blues. Now I like to make soundscapes, electronic bleeps and beats, but I listen to a lot of African and South American music, and guitar based songwriters. Maybe I just tune into the spirit of certain music at different times...

...how is it for all of you? Are you listening to some types of music but making totally different stuff yourself?

:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

zion15

Post by zion15 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:55 pm

well, the music i make is limited by what i can do (the tools and skills) and the music i listen to isn't. that's the sad part really.

even though i consider myself relatively eclectic as a composer or a soundsculptor, my taste of music is still heaps more varying and wider than the stuff i do. i don't really try to limit myself or focus to any one genre/sound... i haven't just got enough skills, motivation, patience and cash to do some of the songs i'd want to so i'm kind of stuck with what i have now and what little i learn every day.

in fact i would probably be working on some folk/prog rock right now if i had enough quality samples or a band since that's what i've mostly been listening to today. but that's how it goes, you could be anything if you have enough time and motivation...
| http://www.lumeet.net/ | neverstoplovingmusic |

atomic

Post by atomic » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:07 pm

what i make and what i produce is almost never the same. I have also often wondered about this. I guess where you are is not always what you give. if that makes any sence.

Peace
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:56 pm

Listen to IDM, experimental electronic music, Breakcore, Noise, Black Metal, Speed Metal, Punk, old new wave, Classical, NY Noise guitar stuff etc.

Play Goth/Industrial/Electroclash, so it's not too far away, I just tend to be into the source music for the genre I'm in as opposed to the genre. Too many people copying each other in the Industrial community to make most of it at all interesting to me.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:14 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Too many people copying each other in the Industrial community to make most of it at all interesting to me.
I agree, The whole EBM thing has been stale from the very moment it exploded. The style/genre has been around way before it became a strict standard for industrial bands to follow.

Jimmy, That quote you had in your sig. "What was once an audience, is now a market" speaks for this reply.

Back on topic!

I listen to such a wide span of music or should I just say anything with electronic sounds and anything that was made by people in different frames of mind for people either in a different frame of mind or just weird in general.

Right now I'm listening to The Bug 'Taping the Conversation'= tripped out spy dub with saxophones, oboes, and everthing else including the kitchen sink. I've also been listening to the new NIN album alot. The last 4 tracks? Starting from Sunspots to the last track are the real songs off that album (imho) The rest of the cd is ok but not something that would make me rush out and buy it.

The music I'm working on now is noisy, fast, dark, and well........weird. Just the way I like it. I have also started a track that is slow and the drums(impulse) are stretched out individually and then the time knob is cranked all the way to the right stretching them even more and a reverb setting that makes the drum hits another ambient synth in the mix. Finally a saturating compression to glue it together.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:22 pm

i like to make old-school techno, trance, hard trance, house, etc. and i listen to those types too, but i listen more to 80s bands like Depeche Mode, The Cure, Duran Duran, etc. I would like to make the kinda music Depeche Mode made but I dont know how to sing :wink:
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

SethAbare

Post by SethAbare » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:38 pm

Being musically diverse (I really hate that phrase, because people think that being musically diverse just means listening to both rap, and hip hop, more often than not I find people who are "diverse" to be actually just ignorant). I have a backround in classical music, Choral/stage preformance, My mother was a classical violinist for 30 years before quitting and started playing folk music in Alaska.
Growing up, Greatful Dead, Simon and Garfunkel, Paul Simon (graceland), TONS of classical music on the CBC; Later in life my HS friend Chris got me into a lot of Goth, and industrial, NiN, Bauhaus, Front242, some alt rock; Adam Ant, TMBG, basically anything on 120 min and Alternative Nation. I developed a fetish for whiney male singers in my later teens and listened to a lot of REM, and U2, thankfully my friend Chris was a bit more explorative in music and turned me onto orbital. I really picked up a lot of Eltronic Music then, prodigy (before "fat of the land"), Moby, some one hit wonder Rocktronica acts, and tons of remixes of my favorite bands by djs.

Then I joined the army, I was pretty much unprepared for rap/hip hop, having come from communities with very low black/hispanic populations. First rap song I really listened to the words of was "master P's, Jungle n*ggah (yea I censored myself, I don't like that word; I think it should be replaced by something less degrading) Can't say I was very impressed with rap music in general. Then a friend who was also in the army turned me onto some good hip hop, tribe, de la sol, Nas, and a lot of west coast stuff in general.

I spent the next few years in a general slump with music, I was DJing for a production company, but I couldn't find a voice in the music I was playing, it just seemed all a bit shallow to me. Then again I was playing a lot of tunes off of IHR, and other sort of cheesy house labels... I started to see the light later in my "DJ career" and was listening to a lot of detroit, and european techno, but unfortunatly it was too late. The DJ boom ended, and the music that was coming out was getting more and more amature. I guess thats when I started making music, at first with acidpro 2,0 (during my djing career). Mostly just loops and filters. Nothing really special or creative. About 1999 I started using reason, and went off on a bunch of masturbatory projects (mostly junky sounding house, nasty ugly amature with a big ego sort of stuff) Junk.

Then about 2 years ago I went through a bad breakup, got drunk every day and wrote tracks. I think the expressiveness of those tracks drove me to learn more about making them sound better, and since then I spend 3-8 hours a day working on some project.

I'd say what I make is considered "techhouse" or "detroittechno" by most. However I think the label limits the music.

I don't listen to very much music, I feel that if I listen to a lot of "techno" I would end up trying to imitate rather than find my own voice.

So currently the music on my computer is very minimal.

Eels - (discography) nice relaxing band with songs about how crappy life is, but somehow still make u feel good.

Brahms - (Ein Deutches Requiem) More songs about death, and in my opinion one of the best works of music that explores dramatic shifts in mood.

Soul Coughing - (discongraphy) Because this band had one hit, and a bunch of really good songs. The singer is a great poet, not a very good musician, but really has a nack for saying things that creep you out. Very New York (in my opinion)

Ben Folds Five - (discograpgy) A throwback to my whiney white singers, But actually this dude is a really good pianist, prolly one of the best musicians in the "alt-rock" genre.

wow I wrote a lot of crap, I didn't edit for spelling mistakes or stupidity, so take it as you will.
splashtunes.com

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:43 pm

hey seth welcome,
Know what you mean about being too influenced by listening to certain types of music. it's interesting what you're saying about the progression of the music you choose through diff. stages in life and diff. experiences. Even if I listen to Tom Waits or Joni Mitchell I sometimes get inspiration that helps me with a totally abstract soundscape...

MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:48 pm

I just tune into the spirit of certain music at different times...
And write what I feel at different times

SethAbare

Post by SethAbare » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:58 pm

telekom wrote:hey seth welcome,
Thanks for the welcome!
splashtunes.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:22 am

I listen to a lot of stuff, but I know there's some things I can't do, some I won't and some things I shouldnt do.

Cant : Steve Reich
Reason : not enough xylophonists

won't : loungey /trip-hoppy stuff
reason : there's enough already

shouldn't : funk of the 1970's 7" style
reason : get up off that thang - you're playing it like a white person.

Although I often get validation from acts I like, validation to do something different ..

right now I'm resting my vocal chords from some bad singing, which I wouldn't even bother with if Brian Eno hadn't got away with it on Taking Tiger Mountain and others. Yes, my singing is that bad.

I've always wanted to sound different, like I brought something back from the edge - all my favourite acts were/are like that.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:38 am

Angstrom wrote:
I've always wanted to sound different, like I brought something back from the edge - all my favourite acts were/are like that.
Like Justin Broadrick of Godflesh? He can yell, scream, play guitar, program beats, synths, and samplers, yell and scream some more, but he can't sing worth a shit. Talented musician/Untalented vocalist.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:22 am

suburbanbather wrote:Like Justin Broadrick of Godflesh? He can yell, scream, play guitar, program beats, synths, and samplers, yell and scream some more, but he can't sing worth a shit. Talented musician/Untalented vocalist.
I dunno, I appreciate his cookie monster vocals more than most, and honestly his singing when he tries is fine by me, but I've always been more into the voice as a percussive instrument than as melodic.

Godflesh= one of my favorite bands of all time, and to keep with the theme, my stuff sounds nothing like them.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:39 am

On some tracks his singing voice just sounds out place to me. The song 'Frail' off of the 'Love and Hate in Dub' album come to mind. Might be a psycholigical thing with the aggressive music and singing instead of yelling :? Either way, Godflesh truly is a Godlike wall of sound.

The first time I heard Cookie Monster vocals (Ministry's Psalm 69) I fell in love with undecipherable vocals. Kinda like another guitar or distorted synth in the mix. If you get a hold of the lyrics, the vocals are as clear as night and day. But otherwise its just another cool sound added to the mix.

Staiolz

Post by Staiolz » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:11 am

Its hard for me to finish a project, but when I do, it comes out electronic-related, I have never been consistent in my style!

I grew up on old school hip-hop, underground rap from all over the world. I also listened to a lot of early 90's dance and industrial. Techno was always my thing as well as the MTV gen. music.

Now, I ditched hip-hop somewhat, I still find myself listening to it but it hasn't really made a come back (a lot of it is kind of trashy nowadays). Lately I've been into Acid House from Europe, DnB/Jungle, Some trance here and there, a lot of deep house. As I'm writing this, I realized I'm into so much more, that I can't really genre-classify. As of right now I'm listening to some Chicken Lips, Alter Ego, Patrick Alavi, Dj Heather, Lance Desardi, Trentmoller, Dj Patife, Dj Hype, Squarepusher, some more mixes, and some more albums. Depends on my mood mostly. I've been listening to some old Mobb Deep too, they have somewhat of a cult following nowadays.

I ramble, I know. but I love Live :D
Powerbook Ti 1ghz, Evo MK-425C, Live 4 baby, and Evo X-Session, oh yeah.. and this thing called a Dual 2ghz G5. :)