Tascam Hardware

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypour-Music

Tascam Hardware

Post by Hypour-Music » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 am

I am having some trouble with a Tascam US-428 control surface. I have it working with live and Windows 10. Things that do not work properly are the bank buttons for the controller so i can use the bankable faders feature, the mute buttons will unmute when held down, if you let go they mute again. Same for the record button, hold it down it doesnt record, but you let go and its recording. the only buttons that really work properly are the play and stop buttons. Does anybody have any information about using the Tascam US-428 with ableton live 10 Windows 10 and how its set up? If so please let me know ASAP.

Richie Witch

Re: Tascam Hardware

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 pm

According to the latest release notes from Tascam, it's a miracle the control surface works at all. They stopped updating drivers back on Windows Vista. I'm afraid you may be out of luck. Sorry.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Hypour-Music

Post by Hypour-Music » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:17 pm

The part that I find weird is that i see on youtube, all of these people that use this particular device on windows 10 and it works flawlessly. The issue is that the people using it, don't speak english, so there could be some important parts that i may be missing about using this machine. Yes the drivers were stopped being updated on vista, but im running the vista drivers on 10 and it half works. so its not too far off from working properly. It's either i keep looking for information on getting this to work or i need to find a programmer that is willing to make special drivers for me, but the chances of me finding a programmer are slim to none. I do not want to consider myself sh*t out of luck just yet because im sure people have gotten this working. Its a piece of budget hardware perfect for starters, why wouldnt it work? I wont let an outdated driver ruin my purchase, but if its not the driver, it has to be something else.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 am

I feel your pain, I really do. My favorite Mackie mixing board, that was the heart of my studio for years, had drivers that didn't work past Windows 7. A lot of people tried to get it work, a tiny minority succeeded, and the only thing they could attribute it to was some mysterious combination of newer generation motherboard and an unpatched version of Windows 10.

Never worked for me after Win 7 though. Didn't work for almost anyone. Doesn't mean it didn't work at all, but enough of it didn't work, or worked sporadically, that it just wasn't practical to use.

I wish you the best of luck though. I've looked at that Tascam setup before on Reverb.com and it looks really damn cool. But they stopped building the hardware years ago and the drivers are seriously out of date. I've already been burned once, so I've passed it up.

Forget finding a programmer--find a translator and have them tell you what's going on in those videos you found.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute