Ableton crashes when I try to use Asio4All

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
strangers&aliens

Ableton crashes when I try to use Asio4All

Post by strangers&aliens » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:37 pm

This started happening very recently. First time it happened, I loaded up Live, and it came up with this error message: "Live's last program run was abnormally aborted. It is likely that this happened because a corrupt audio driver was selected. Audio has therefore been temporarily disabled. Please choose a different audio driver from the Audio Preferences."
Now, every time I try to select Asio4All, Ableton crashes and when I load it it comes up with the same error message. I have tried installing and reinstalling the drivers, however that doesn't work. I have also tried installing different versions of the drivers, and that doesn't work either.
I don't want to try uninstalling Ableton because I don't want to lose all of my work.

Thanks,
Will

DjPseudonymous

Re: Ableton crashes when I try to use Asio4All

Post by DjPseudonymous » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:51 pm

It's hard to believe there are only a handful of people using ASIO4ALL. I am having the same problem with some Live 10 update between the time I last used it and today. This is frustrating as I have used ASIO4ALL for all my audio applications (Reaper, Cakewalk, Sound Forge, Omnisphere) for at least 10 years without problems. I find it hard to swallow that now I have to find another alternative for Live only.

Incidentally the ASIO driver that MAGIX provides with its products appears to be a 2016 (v2.13) version of ASIO4ALL with the labeling changed.

DjPseudonymous

Post by DjPseudonymous » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Following up on myself...for what its worth ASIO4ALL 2.14 still works fine with my Live 9.7 x64 installation.

MartinFV

Post by MartinFV » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:08 am

Moin,

I use Asio4All if not near external I/O (abroad, hotel, living room, ...).
Ableton 11.1.6 (suite) reproducably and "reliably" crashes under Win10 and Asio4All 2.15 (German, did not try other language). Freezes entire machine, no reaction on mouse, keyboard, not even screen-brightness or volume keys.
Solution: Downgrade to Asio4All 2.14 (english), no more problems.

HTH
Martin
(final-virus.com)