Narration Processing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MoldyBurrito

Narration Processing

Post by MoldyBurrito » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:06 am

I have an NT1A, an Art preamp, and a Scarlett 2i2 interface.

I am recording narration for toy reviews, and notice there's a lot of low end. I do not have an outboard EQ, and was wondering if there's a way to lift the audio from the video, drop it in Ableton, edit the EQ then re-export it to the video editing software?

Is that even the way to do this?

I am obviously really new to this. I will give this a go on my own, but I am sure I will do it wrong the first try. Thanks in advance. :oops:

muthafunka

Re: Narration Processing

Post by muthafunka » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:17 am

Sounds like the videos you want to treat already are already embedded with the audio, right? It's kind of a 2-part problem - treat audio and edit video.
Did you edit/put the audio in the videos? Do you have the video edit files ie Premiere etc? If you or someone else does then the original audio should be intact somewhere, just get that, use an eq 8 in Ableton to roll the low end off, drop into the video and re-render.

Tbh if you're doing videos on the regular you should make a simple processing template, eq, comp, limiter in Live and also any audio interface software ytou use if it'll do that.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:37 am

for future recordings, you can also reduce the problem by making sure you are talking into the right side of your mic, but also increasing the distance from the mic. that design of mic has a pronounced "proximity effect" that exaggerates the low end when you get close to it...

MoldyBurrito

Post by MoldyBurrito » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. It really helps.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:12 pm

I believe the VLC player will extract audio from video.