Hardware upgrade advice please!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
MUNCHED

Hardware upgrade advice please!!!

Post by MUNCHED » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:29 pm

hi all, i currently have a push 2 and what is now a broken apc40 mk1, also a m-audio fast track pro which is years old and crackles when i touch the outputs, the questions are have or has anyone here purchased the apc40 mk2 to go alongside push 2, when i google this i get which should i buy but i always liked the fader knobs when i work with ableton and currently don't have any now just the push 2, i know the push 2 can go into the session mode like the apc but is this a good piece of equipment to run alongside my push? second question is i use diva and now 2 instances of it and am getting some latency issues im using asio4all too, would me upgrading to the focusrite 212 3rd gen be a step up and would it help with any of my latency cpu problems, the main questions are is the focusrite a good interface to replace my fasttrack and is the apc40mk2 a good controller to have alongside push 2?? thanks any and all advice much appreciated!!!
windows vista, intel core 2 duo 3.06 ghz, 4 gig ram,Ableton 8, Xone 4D, traktor scratch PRO!!

Mark Williams

Re: Hardware upgrade advice please!!!

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Whilst the Scarlett will help with latency (providing you use the Focusrite drivers), it may not cure your CPU latency, as only a stronger cpu will help with that properly.
As for additional controller, I personally dont see the need for another controller like that, as only replicates what you can do on Push2, But it does seem a good controller, along with the Novation Launch Control XL.
Live 10,Push 2, KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Eventide H9, Komplete 12, Hydrasynth, NDLR, Bass Station2, MircoFreak, Alesis Multi Strike Pad

MUNCHED

Post by MUNCHED » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 pm

I agree with you completely I have been through this whole procrastinating process buying new this and that but when my apc40 was working the faders did make up for a lot, also this controller is on offer pretty cheap, I love my push and ableton got 2 screens and each controller under each screen makes it very tidy and nice to work with, I seem to have fixed the CPU by pushing my PC a notch faster which I forgot I had a gaming PC with a good processor so I'm sure the focusrite will make things nicer, thanks mate
windows vista, intel core 2 duo 3.06 ghz, 4 gig ram,Ableton 8, Xone 4D, traktor scratch PRO!!

MUNCHED

Post by MUNCHED » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Is there any other audio interface you would recommend?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:26 am

I have and use a Scarlett, so I would stick with it, maybe go for one with as many inputs as you can, future proof yourself, I started with the 6i6 and soon went to a 18i20, and now use a Behringer Ada8200 via the ADAT input with the 18i20 givies me all the ins outs Ineed, which covers me :)
Live 10,Push 2, KK S61 MK2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12D, Eventide H9, Komplete 12, Hydrasynth, NDLR, Bass Station2, MircoFreak, Alesis Multi Strike Pad

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:33 am

+ 1 for the Focusrite; I have a 18i20 3rd gen too, and like it very much in terms of value for money and sound whise. I think twe 2i2 will do you good, but get the 3rd gen - be beware!!!!

As far as Push2 and the APC go: would not know, I use the Push2 on it's own and am happy with that.......
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, Live Suit 10, Push2, Reason Suite 11, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:07 am

MUNCHED wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:29 pm
hi all, i currently have a push 2 and what is now a broken apc40 mk1, also a m-audio fast track pro which is years old and crackles when i touch the outputs, the questions are have or has anyone here purchased the apc40 mk2 to go alongside push 2, when i google this i get which should i buy but i always liked the fader knobs when i work with ableton and currently don't have any now just the push 2, i know the push 2 can go into the session mode like the apc but is this a good piece of equipment to run alongside my push? second question is i use diva and now 2 instances of it and am getting some latency issues im using asio4all too, would me upgrading to the focusrite 212 3rd gen be a step up and would it help with any of my latency cpu problems, the main questions are is the focusrite a good interface to replace my fasttrack and is the apc40mk2 a good controller to have alongside push 2?? thanks any and all advice much appreciated!!!
Scarletts are nice reliable boxes. I use them for live use and studio use.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Another vote for Scarlett. They’re fantastic.