Beatboxing In Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Antrod

Beatboxing In Ableton

Post by Antrod » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Antrod, I'm a beatboxer from Jacksonville Florida, and I'm trying to get some help.
I don't know if it's possible, but is it possible to record a sound in Ableton, edit that sound, make it into a sample, and play that sound on a midi keyboard?
I make music from nothing but edited human vocals, and being able to play those edited sounds on a midi keyboard would be more fun and be more on beat. I currently use Audacity, which to those who don't know is meant for recording vocals and editing them insanely. It doesn't have effects though, which is why I wanted to use Ableton. It also doesn't have all the beat perfection that Ableton has. It's more a click, drag and hope it's close enough to the desired beat.
Is it possible to do it? I have watched countless tutorials, and all have prerecorded samples. Non of them start off with recording said samples in Ableton, and making them into playable instruments. I thought I could record a kick drum, a snare, and a high-hat--edit them to sound more like the instrument--and play them on my midi keyboard. Is this possible through Ableton, or would it be easier and proficient to record samples through Audacity, and put them into Ableton?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Beatboxing In Ableton

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Sure.
Search for slice-to-midi in the manual or Ableton Live video tutorials.
Sorry, I'm not detailing the process because there's many different ways to do it.
And Simpler/Sampler, Drums Racks and Instrument Racks are you friends.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jlgrimes

Re: Beatboxing In Ableton

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Antrod wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 pm
Hey everyone!

My name is Antrod, I'm a beatboxer from Jacksonville Florida, and I'm trying to get some help.
I don't know if it's possible, but is it possible to record a sound in Ableton, edit that sound, make it into a sample, and play that sound on a midi keyboard?
I make music from nothing but edited human vocals, and being able to play those edited sounds on a midi keyboard would be more fun and be more on beat. I currently use Audacity, which to those who don't know is meant for recording vocals and editing them insanely. It doesn't have effects though, which is why I wanted to use Ableton. It also doesn't have all the beat perfection that Ableton has. It's more a click, drag and hope it's close enough to the desired beat.
Is it possible to do it? I have watched countless tutorials, and all have prerecorded samples. Non of them start off with recording said samples in Ableton, and making them into playable instruments. I thought I could record a kick drum, a snare, and a high-hat--edit them to sound more like the instrument--and play them on my midi keyboard. Is this possible through Ableton, or would it be easier and proficient to record samples through Audacity, and put them into Ableton?
Yes.

Ableton is pretty much a sampler at heart.

Very easy to record a beat box loop and slice to midi to build a custom kit. Ableton also has nice effects for tweaking samples as well.