Help with audio routing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
discohorse

Help with audio routing?

Post by discohorse » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Specifically I am trying to, using Windows, route audio from Sonic Pi into separate channels in Ableton Live. I already know the code side of things but need a way to interface Sonic Pi with Ableton.

I have a friend who, on Mac, is able to achieve this using the Pass-Thru function of Loopback to create a sort of virtual soundcard to be read by Logic, but I’ve been unable to find a working application for Windows… Does anyone have any ideas? It will need to function as one device for the purposes of ableton but have multiple outs.

Thanks in advance!

miyaru

Re: Help with audio routing?

Post by miyaru » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:00 am

My audio Interface - a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - has loopback functions to achieve this.

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... lett-18i20
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:31 pm

It's one of the downsides of the Windows OS; it cannot recognize more than one audio device at a time. If you're not using a Focusrite interface (which is one of the few brands to offer this feature internally), the best solution is an audio interface without enough extra outputs and inputs that you can physically route a loopback channel.

Rumor has it that it can be done in Windows with ASIO4ALL, but I'm not aware of anyone who's made it work that way. Maybe someone else on here has had a better experience.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Loopback in interface drivers is becoming more common, probably intended for the podcasting market. My MOTU M2 has this feature.

I'm a Mac guy where there a number of apps that can capture audio output from one app and send it to another. I have no idea what's available for Windows, but here's one to look into.