Help with making program changes on U-he synths in Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sayatnova

Help with making program changes on U-he synths in Live 10

Post by sayatnova » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:04 am

Hello Everyone,

I am having a hard time figuring this out...

On my U-he synth, I tried to just place a preset patch into the "MIDI Programs" folder, and named it "000 Patch Preset Name". I tried to get the bank and patch changes recognised by ZebraHZ via a dummy clip from Live. This did not work. Maybe because Live cannot set a value of "0" in the fields for Bank, Sub Folder, or Patch sections...

Per a tech support exchange with U-he, and in the manual for Zebra HZ, this should be true:

1) The "MIDI Programs" folder in the preset menu is Bank "0".
2) Each subfolder will be referenced in augmenting values starting from 1. By this criteria: the single subfolder I have created in the "MIDI Programs" folder in the preset menu should be set to "1" (hence the original naming scheme...;-)

So, in the "MIDI Programs" folder in the preset menu of the U-he plugin (Zebra HZ), I have created a sub folder called "1", and in this folder I have a patch preset called "000 Patch Preset Name". I have also duplicated this and called this second patch "001 Patch Preset Name"...

So, technically, shouldn't I just need to send a bank and patch select message via a dummy clip in Live, with 0 as the Bank value, and 1 as the Sub Folder value, and 1 as the Patch value to make this work? I am asking because it does not work.

Perhaps there is a problem in Live, since there is no "0" as an option for any of the parameter sections: it is either "--" which is OFF, or starts at "1"... No way to select "0" as a bank, or any other value.

I have quit and rebooted Live a few times to be sure and get the updated status for the "MIDI Programs" folder after I created the sub folder and added the presets...

What am I missing? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have 6 hours into this with no luck.

Thank you!

doghouse

Re: Help with making program changes on U-he synths in Live 10

Post by doghouse » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:15 pm

What you are missing is the two ways hex values are displayed in decimal. This has been going on since the earliest days of MIDI. In MIDI patch organization, there are 128 patches per bank and 16,000+ banks (0000 - 3F3F).

The actual hex values are 00-7F. Some devices count 0-127, others count 1-128. Just add 1 to the number used by the device. 1=0, 128=127, etc.

sayatnova

Post by sayatnova » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:35 am

Thank you for your help. I will give that a try.

OK, tonight I was able to figure it out: You can leave the Bank and Sub at "---" and only use Program values to change patches, IF you have only patches listed in the main MIDI Programs section. However, if you switch to also using a second Bank (sub folder in "MIDI Programs" folder), as soon as you switch to the second Bank, it will still work until you go back and try to use a dummy clip that previously worked for the "MIDI Programs" folder (that has "---" for a value...). You cannot return to the "MIDI Programs" folder level. In this case you need to be sure and use Bank "1" for the "MIDI Programs" folder ("0" in the manual!), and Bank "2" for the subfolder in the "MIDI Programs" folder ("1" in the manual)! Note: Programs always start at "1" (for 000) and go up from there regardless of the Bank they are in: "---" will not load a patch in any case.

This worked in Zebra and Hive, which is what I had time for tonight. Should be the same for all U-he synths.

Hopefully this will save some other a lot of frustration!

Thank you for the help.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Glad to have helped out.