Live 11: Fold my Scale?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Live 11: Fold my Scale?

Post by ze2be » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:12 pm

I cant seem to find this in any review video.

I dont know the names of scales im creating, I just play around until I find something I like. Would be great to be able to fold the scale I just made in a clip, and get all the octaves.

Because I do not know the names of these scales I jam out, the scale menu does not help me.

I would hope that if we first fold our notes then hit the scale button it would make a scale grid view from our own scale creation?

pottering

Re: Live 11: Fold my Scale?

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm

If you simply randomly pick notes by ear, then why don't you use the Scale device to create your non-conventional scales?
♥♥♥

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:11 pm

pottering wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm
If you simply randomly pick notes by ear, then why don't you use the Scale device to create your non-conventional scales?
Not nesesarily non-conventional. Simply dont know the names of all the scales that exist.

Because I like to see whats going on at the midi note editor! And I sometimes break out from scales, and that would be a mess with automating chain selection of different scale plugs and so on. To do this also requires to program the instances of scale plugins needed to fit your current melodies.

Starting a new song I usually jam around on the midi keyboard until I find some scale progressions I like and record it to a midi clip. I dont know theory so I cant tell what the name of these scales are unfortunatelly. You are blessed if you can!

Just seems weird to me that you must know the name of all the scales to be able to fold your curent jam scale progression. Curently you must know what name of the scale you just jamed out, so that you can find it in the scale menu, so you can fold it im the editor.

Instead of just folding scales of whatever notes you curently have in your clip!

Should be easy to add.. Unless I missed something and its already in the beta.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:49 pm

ze2be wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:11 pm
Instead of just folding scales of whatever notes you curently have in your clip!
You can already fold to the notes for many many years...
Ableton Forum Moderator

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:49 pm
ze2be wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:11 pm
You can already fold to the notes for many many years...
I know, and I do it all the time, since it first was available. :)

It does not give you all the octaves of the keyboard though, like the new Scale function in Live 11 do. It only gives you as many octaves as you currently used in the clip. So I end up opening and closing it a lot, like if I want to move some notes 1 octave higher etc.

With the new Scale Fold future in 11 beta it would be great to be able to make a Scale Fold with all 11 octaves out of the current content in the clip as well.

aka "Fold My Scale"

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 pm

It is not really that easy to add, as most note combinations will fit various scales, not just one, it is kinda fuzzy.

If you have M4L, there is these devices (had kinda forgotten, Live 11 taking my attention now):

http://fabriziopoce.com/HarmoTools.html
♥♥♥

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:55 pm

pottering wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 pm
It is not really that easy to add, as most note combinations will fit various scales, not just one, it is kinda fuzzy.

If you have M4L, there is these devices (had kinda forgotten, Live 11 taking my attention now):

http://fabriziopoce.com/HarmoTools.html
Aha. Ok thanks, and thanks for the link! I do not know theory you see.

In any case, so lets not call it a scale fold then, but I just want to fold with all the 11 scales available, instead of having to open and close the fold all the time, just to move one note 1 octave up etc.

Fold My Scale now re-named to Fold with All Octaves. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:58 pm

ze2be wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 pm
So I end up opening and closing it a lot, like if I want to move some notes 1 octave higher etc.
You can do it without unfolding: select your note, and press Shift+up/down keys :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:04 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:58 pm
ze2be wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 pm
So I end up opening and closing it a lot, like if I want to move some notes 1 octave higher etc.
You can do it without unfolding: select your note, and press Shift+up/down keys :wink:
Yeah yeah my man, but its just a suggestion to the new Scale Fold future coming with Live 11. Its a "I don't want to scroll scale presets" kind of thing, I rather make my own. But can I fold them too please? :)

Just a humble suggestion to the beta, that's all. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:41 am

Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't mind about scales either, I just play stuff (and don't really know anything about music theory anyway).

But here's a tip: as it's usually quite straightforward to find which key you're in, once you've recorded some midi, activate the scale button and fold your piano roll. Select your key.
Now press "K" to highlight the scale in the piano roll , and now scroll through the scales. At some point, the highlighted scale in the piano roll will match with the notes in there. Congrats, you've found your scale!
Ableton Forum Moderator

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:00 am

[jur] wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:41 am
Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't mind about scales either, I just play stuff (and don't really know anything about music theory anyway).

But here's a tip: as it's usually quite straightforward to find which key you're in, once you've recorded some midi, activate the scale button and fold your piano roll. Select your key.
Now press "K" to highlight the scale in the piano roll , and now scroll through the scales. At some point, the highlighted scale in the piano roll will match with the notes in there. Congrats, you've found your scale!
Cool!!

I will try it as soon as I get my hands on a copy! Im not on the beta so want be before release.

Awesome tip, thanks! :)