MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danielgrieff

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by danielgrieff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:49 pm

SkullHQX wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:51 am
@danielgrieff Thanks for your feedback. Can you mention what audio interface you used? That might help people some more.
Sorry for my late reply, I'm using an RME Babyface Pro. It has beta drivers compatible with the M1. Works as reliably as it did with my old 16" MBP. RME are always on the ball!

andreasgoteson

Post by andreasgoteson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 pm

I was expecting the release of Live 11 to natively support apple silicon, but it does not look like it from experience with the beta version.

I'm on apple silicon and in Ableton 11 beta program. Acc. to release notes, the last beta version is suggested as a final stable version and this version still runs thru rosetta according to activity monitor.

It runs smooth though and I will no doubt upgrade anyway. Also read somewhere about compatibility issues with Push 1, but mine is working fine!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 pm

andreasgoteson wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 pm
Also read somewhere about compatibility issues with Push 1, but mine is working fine!
Is this where you read about the issues with Push 1?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=240993&start=75#p1784267

Were there other sources talking about problems with Push 1?

Thanks

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:11 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 pm
andreasgoteson wrote:
Also read somewhere about compatibility issues with Push 1, but mine is working fine!
Is this where you read about the issues with Push 1?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=240993&start=75#p1784267

Were there other sources talking about problems with Push 1?

Thanks
I'd like to know this too. Currently on a Push 1 with a 2010 17" MBP. That MBP is just struggling too hard with the latest projects, even though it's just had a fresh thermal-paste renewal, so I think it may finally be time to get an M1 mini to coincide with Live 11 (which ironically doesn't fully support it).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:54 pm

I’d wait for the next silicon lineup. M1s are powerful in unique ways and snappy, yes, but they still have some regular limitations and aren’t fully supported yet. Also, there’s no verification that your specific problem is even addressed.

If you’re looking for a portable setup that can run a basic Live set. M1 should be okay. If you want to hook a bunch of things up to it and push it, it’s more a weird gamble.. probably mostly not in your favor. Yes, for Logic and a lot of other DAWs it has had stellar performance. But you would be best to see how people are getting on with Live specifically, as it is a very unique DAW with unique demands. The performance test page kinda give an indication of how it performs.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm

andreasgoteson wrote:
I was expecting the release of Live 11 to natively support apple silicon, but it does not look like it from experience with the beta version.

I'm on apple silicon and in Ableton 11 beta program. Acc. to release notes, the last beta version is suggested as a final stable version and this version still runs thru rosetta according to activity monitor.

It runs smooth though and I will no doubt upgrade anyway. Also read somewhere about compatibility issues with Push 1, but mine is working fine!
hope they're working on it but yeah realistically I think it will happen during..the year; hopefully. As I maybe said Earlier they expect max/msp to work natively not before summer; so that means no native live M1 version with max for live before then anyway.

MattGarland

Post by MattGarland » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 am

I've recently bought a 13" M1 MacBook Pro. My previous laptop was a 2017 15" MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, running Bug Sur.

I've not done detailed testing yet, but have opened up several of my previous projects and found no issues.
I don't use heaps of VSTs or AUs, but I have a few ImageLine ones and Arturia Analog Lab, V-Collection, which are playing back as expected.

HOWEVER - I do have a few projects which use a fairly packed Drum Rack, and in these projects, I'm getting 120% or more CPU usage resulting in unplayable sound (just lots of awful stuttering). And I've not got to the bottom of why this is.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:54 am

Keep us posted. Would like to hear how you get on over time.

Thanks!

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm

MattGarland wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 am
I've recently bought a 13" M1 MacBook Pro. My previous laptop was a 2017 15" MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, running Bug Sur.

I've not done detailed testing yet, but have opened up several of my previous projects and found no issues.
I don't use heaps of VSTs or AUs, but I have a few ImageLine ones and Arturia Analog Lab, V-Collection, which are playing back as expected.

HOWEVER - I do have a few projects which use a fairly packed Drum Rack, and in these projects, I'm getting 120% or more CPU usage resulting in unplayable sound (just lots of awful stuttering). And I've not got to the bottom of why this is.
I have an M1 MBP and had the same issue with one particular drum rack imported from an earlier project. Once I deleted the track the CPU went from 85% to 10%, no idea why that particular rack caused problems. Generally the CPU on my M1 is around a quarter of what it was on my 2013 MBP. I have no issues with plugins but hardware is a problem; Roland SPD-SX, Yamaha DTXM12, DMXIS, Roland TM6-PRO don't work at all; Focusrite 18i20, Launchpad Pro Mk3 and LaunchControl XL work sometimes but also crash Ableton repeatedly.

Overall I'm glad I made the switch and because I kept my old MBP I can use that as well with my hardware via LINK or a MIDI network. It's a bit cumbersome but gets round the current limitations of the M1.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm

MattGarland wrote:
Would be great if you could report this to support@ableton.com ! The more data we get, the better :twisted: :lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Graham.V

Post by Graham.V » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:10 pm

MattGarland wrote:

Try setting the In/Out sample rate to 48000 if it is currently higher. I had this same issue loading a large project with the sample rate at 96000, but making this change fixed it for me.

inBloomMusic

Post by inBloomMusic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:26 am

Im Running a m1 macbook pro 16Gb an the cpu hits 100 plus an cant play any of my projects i usually have 120 plus channels but my 15 inch macbook pro handles it no probably besides the fans hope ableton gets on this!

Bitwig 3.3.3 is Running super smooth on the m1

just writing this to see if anyone else has similer issues

dchalfon

Post by dchalfon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:19 am

i am also on a m1 16gb mbpro. live 10 runs on it, but it is dragging the cpu. most of my sessions reach 80 to 90 with only 8 or 10 channels. so i would say ableton with m1 as it is now is a no go.
on the other hand logic is killing it. and native plugins like tal and valhalla are amazing.

im almost selling my push2 and moving back to logic...

Tronam

Post by Tronam » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:44 am

That’s been my experience as well (M1 MBP). Everything in Live appears to work well and it has been stable for me with all 200+ of my plugins, but the performance is really weird. I feel like Live under Rosetta doesn’t understand how to take advantage of the M1 CPU cores. Reason has this problem too. Everything works, but gets wonky when multithreading is enabled.

Tronam

Post by Tronam » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 am

Interesting timing! It looks like there's a new L10.1.35b1 beta that specifically addresses M1 Rosetta performance. I'll be very curious to test it out.