MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Scoox

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Scoox » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 pm

It would be great if there was a wrapper or something that enabled loading non-native plugins indirectly, while native plugins would load directly in the DAW. Dunno if that's technically possible.

Peter Klank

Post by Peter Klank » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 am

SkullHQX wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:51 am
Currently it will be difficult to tell beforehand if M1 will work. Everything will depend on the use case, what is used in the project, what third-party plugins, what audio interface, etc.

Also I'm a bit sceptical about cpu performance measurements with third party apps. Better use Apple's own activity monitoring tool for now.

I've just received an M1 MacBook Air to test with. So I'll report back here if my Behringer XR18, Novation SL61 MK3 and Launchpad Pro MK3 even work. Luckily for me I hardly use VST's and my instruments are mainly hardware synths. So that makes things easier. For me Live is a great midi sequencer and mix rack. :-)

@danielgrieff Thanks for your feedback. Can you mention what audio interface you used? That might help people some more.
Does your XR18 work fine with the M1?

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:10 am

cids wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:34 pm
Be patient, it will surely improve a lot when Ableton and your plugins are native
It'd be nice to have sort of a timeline for this (I need a new laptop soon and it's either M1 or used intel depending on live M1 support and performances)

cids

Post by cids » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 am

My suggestion is to take a M1, accept that the first couple of months might be a little bit bumpy but after that it is the best long term investment with best price performance…
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Agreed. I'll be doing the same with the 16" M1 MBP the day they are released.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 pm

cids wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 am
My suggestion is to take a M1, accept that the first couple of months might be a little bit bumpy but after that it is the best long term investment with best price performance…
well I'm not sure if we're talking about a few months or a few years; also the native performance is an unknown until we have a native version; and let's not forget multiple third party plugins; max for live integration; and drivers (without compatible drivers you can't do anything). For now I'm sticking with my old mbp from 2011 with overheating and throttling problems. At least it's reliable if I don't throw heavy sessions at it.

cids

Post by cids » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm

It will be a couple of months... what drivers are you talking about?

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:35 pm

cids wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm
It will be a couple of months... what drivers are you talking about?
motu drivers mostly for me. it's getting there apparently; there's a new driver; but compatibility with older hardware seems unclear.
anyway with the never ending lockdown I haven't had much used for a laptop this year and it's not over; no gigs or residency for the time being; so I'm not that much in a hurry. Hopefully we get news by september.

cids

Post by cids » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am

Seems like MOTU is working hard on compatibility:

MOTU Pro Audio interfaces

The Pro Audio models listed below are compatible with M1-powered Macs and macOS Big Sur. Be sure to download and install the very latest shipping drivers. You must install these latest drivers before you can use your MOTU product listed below with M1-powered Macs or macOS Big Sur (running on Intel or Apple silicon-based Macs).

PLEASE NOTE: if you are installing MOTU hardware drivers on your macOS Big Sur system for the first time, please read this tech note for important information about enabling the driver in your system's security settings. This procedure is not necessary if the driver has already been installed in your macOS Big Sur system and you are merely updating it.

8M
16A
24Ai
24Ao
Monitor 8
112D
Stage-B16
8A
M64
8D
LP32
UltraLite-mk4
UltraLite AVB
828es
8pre-es

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Double Tap

Post by Double Tap » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm

I did a very rough and ready capacity test using Hive to compare the Live 11 beta and Logic Pro on my 16gb MBP - set up a bass line, a lead and a pad with a four-bar midi chord on a loop and used the same presets in each. I picked Hive because U-he have released a native silicon version now.

Initially, I got 33 instances of each on Live and Logic, with a 512 buffer on each. Huh. Rosetta is pretty good, I thought. Or Ableton have played a blinder with the beta.

Then after some advice on KVR - I mean, I never use Logic so I don't know how it really works - I changed the Logic settings to force it to use 8 processing threads / 4 high performance cores. It was set to automatic before.

That bumped Logic's performance up massively, to get 47 instances. That's a huge jump - almost 50% more capacity.

I still use Live, but I'm now salivating over the idea of a native version.

Biggnikh

Re: Help needed : Rosetta not available neither after manual install

Post by Biggnikh » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi people

I am trying to help a friend from a distance who bought a MacBook Air M1 and Live 11, perhaps a good soul here knows what’s wrong.

Personally our studio runs a MacPro 5,1 with High Sierra and a MacBook Pro 15 Retina with Mojave, both Live 11, no issues.

He was unable to open Live with Rosetta.

I walked him through a manual install from Terminal of Rosetta which was successful, but then when checking on « get info » from the Ableton app, there is no option for opening with Rosetta on his MacBook Air M1.

Had him restart the computer -> same, no Rosetta

Had him erasing his Ableton app and download again, drop in applications -> same, no Rosetta

Are there other files to remove manually other than the Ableton app, to reinitialise the install?

What could be wrong? Any tips welcome,

Best

Nico
"The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best"
H. Van Dyke

cids

Post by cids » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Rosetta will be used automatically when opening an Intel app

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm

Worked perfectly for me. As another user said, Rosetta should have installed automatically. Perhaps the terminal install messed something up. Security settings?

Biggnikh

Post by Biggnikh » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:43 pm

cids wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Rosetta will be used automatically when opening an Intel app

Thank you for your reply Cids.

Isn't he supposed to see the info of the app with a choice for opening the app, like the second picture in this link?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

On his M1, he does not have an option to open an app as Rosetta

Best

Nico
"The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best"
H. Van Dyke

Biggnikh

Post by Biggnikh » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm
Worked perfectly for me. As another user said, Rosetta should have installed automatically. Perhaps the terminal install messed something up. Security settings?
Thank you jonljacobi

I know, it seems to be working for a lot of people. At a distance it really isn't easy to help my friend, perhaps I will Teamviewer his computer in the coming days.

Regarding the install, walked him through it and the last terminal line from his print screen reads "Install of Rosetta 2 finished successfully".

However, and this is weird, upon inspection now the line before that says " Package authoring error : Package reference com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto is missing installKBytes attribute"

Will be able to ask his security settings tomorrow,

Best

Nico
H. Van Dyke