Issue Adding Sound To Wavetable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Evan555222

Issue Adding Sound To Wavetable

Post by Evan555222 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:08 am

Just upgraded to suite and upon attempting to drag an audio track I have just recorded into Wavetable I get an error saying "Cannot load table filename.wav: The file 'C:\directory\filename.wav' could not be opened."
I do not have the same issue with Sampler or Simpler.

Edit: The waveform shows up in Wavetable after exporting the recorded sound, however I would very much enjoy the convenience of being able to drag recordings straight into Wavetable without having to do this.

vokinpirks

Re: Issue Adding Sound To Wavetable

Post by vokinpirks » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 pm

I had the axact same issue and it really pissed me off. I just found a solution and decided to share it. Maybe someone will find this topic...
So, go to Preferences / Record Warp Launch / Record and set File type to AIFF. From now on you can just drop recorded clips straight into wavetable.
An obsessive knob twiddler

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:04 pm

It should work with .wav. Strange...
Ableton Forum Moderator

blitzduck

Post by blitzduck » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:44 am

I stumbled on this thread in search of an answer. As I'm running Windows I'd rather leave everything in .WAV format, since even having it on .AIFF doesn't prevent Ableton from making .WAV temporary files (for example, when flattening a track).

Changing the File Type under Preferences > Record/Warp/Launch to .AIFF does help but not a full fix (due to temporary file formats). If I flatten a track, the audio clip is .WAV format despite the File Type setting (and thus, cannot be dragged into a Wavetable).

Any ideas are appreciated :idea: :D

eric.frederich

Post by eric.frederich » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:31 pm

I've tried it on two different Windows 10 computers, both have this same problem.
If I save the project, then re-open the project it'll work. Very annoying.

eric.frederich

Post by eric.frederich » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Is there a way to file a formal bug report against this so we can at least see that it's been acknowledged?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:07 pm

Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

eric.frederich

Post by eric.frederich » Fri May 20, 2022 3:30 pm

I've bought EZDrummer 3 from Toontrack. Seems like it is having the same issue. When I record a new clip and try to drag it in I either get an error saying "corrupt or unsupported audio format" or it crashes (and Ableton along with it).

However, if I save and then re-load the project it'll work. Very annoying.

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Fri May 20, 2022 6:33 pm

EZD 3 ist brand new. Did you try it with the latest update 3.0.1?

eric.frederich

Post by eric.frederich » Fri May 20, 2022 7:57 pm

Yes, I'm on 3.0.1 get error when I record something and want to drag it in. I even switched my record filetype to AIFF. Still when I drag in a newly recorded clip it complains, I need to save the project first. After saving project it seems to work, but this is with just 1 test.
It seems Ableton on Windows is doing something weird with temporary files until the project is saved.

eric.frederich

Post by eric.frederich » Fri May 20, 2022 11:48 pm

Not sure if these links are available to anyone that's logged in or just available to the person who reported it.
... in any case I submitted a bug report.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/requests/2650182

vokinpirks

Post by vokinpirks » Thu May 26, 2022 9:06 pm

No, the link isn't available to me.
Setting recording file type to AIFF solves the problem for me. Yeah, I still can't drop into Wavetable wav files that Live produces after Freeze + Flatten, but I can just resample what I need and use that even if a set isn't saved yet.
I agree that the bug is annoying and it should be fixed though.
An obsessive knob twiddler

BEONDEST

Post by BEONDEST » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:37 am

vokinpirks wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 pm
I had the axact same issue and it really pissed me off. I just found a solution and decided to share it. Maybe someone will find this topic...
So, go to Preferences / Record Warp Launch / Record and set File type to AIFF. From now on you can just drop recorded clips straight into wavetable.
I Had to switch it to AIFF then restart ableton for it to work with wavetable. I tried it back and forth a couple times to try and get WAV to work but it did not. Kind of a bummer because i would rather be using WAV files.

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:40 pm

eric.frederich wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:30 pm
I've bought EZDrummer 3 from Toontrack. Seems like it is having the same issue. When I record a new clip and try to drag it in I either get an error saying "corrupt or unsupported audio format" or it crashes (and Ableton along with it).

However, if I save and then re-load the project it'll work. Very annoying.
WAV files in Toontrack products like EZDrummer are DRMed, they only play in Toontrack products.
♥♥♥