Increasing Performance for live appearances?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SUB

Increasing Performance for live appearances?

Post by SUB » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm using Live 2.0.1 for a few weeks now and wonder if I can increase the overall performance of this pretty cool tool. My setup: TiBook G4 867, 768 MB Ram, 30 GB Harddisk (with a 14 GB partition only for soundfiles), OS X 2.3, Oxygen 8

My Proposals: Chopping Samples as short as possible, reducing the sampling rate to about 32 khz (which in my eyes only makes sense with beatloops and other not-so-fancy sounds).

But how about the usage auf FX? Is there a way to reduce the performance problems when using multiple effects simultaniously?

My idea: I'd like to use the built-in reverb effect as an send-effect. My aim is to have all channels simply routed through that reverb with the possibility of adjusting the amount for each channel seperately. Any hints? Maybe I still didn't get into that source routing thing...

Finally: even with high latency (40ms) I get drop-outs when dragging effects to a channel. even if there's nothing else...

Your help would be much appreciated!

greets from berlin,
Fabian

muser

Re: Increasing Performance for live appearances?

Post by muser » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:44 pm

Hi Fabian,

What kind of audio interface are you using? With regards with your problems with dropouts, this can make all the difference, even in OS X (the differences were even bigger in OS9, IMHO). There seem to be a lot of problems reported by people using USB audio interfaces, and although my Egosys Waveterminal U2A works better in OS X than it did in OS 9, I still get noises when my buffers are set low.

My recommendation would be to try out your setup with on another audio interface--perhaps bring it down to a shop if you don't know anyone with a different one from yours--and see if it makes a difference. Hope this helps.

monolake

increasing performance

Post by monolake » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:24 pm

using only 32 kHz samples will propably not result in a performance boost worth the effort i would not do this.

my advise:

- turn OFF all EQ`bands in all EQ 4 if you do not need them. ( if you just use one band then turn off the other ones )

- bypass FX which are not in use, this especially true for VST plugs.
Live has an automnatic shutdown for unneeded devices but this does not allways work, espeically with VSTs.

- render FX into the files. Saves CPU and gives you more flexibility.

- turn off unnused inputs and outputs of your multipe I/O audiointerface
( Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Input / Output Configuration )
on my Hammerfall RME card this saves loads of CPU !

regards, robert / ableton

SUB

Your recommendations

Post by SUB » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:02 am

Thanks four our advice. I don't use an external audiodevice by now but it seems like i will try out the RME-Cardbus-System - but not right now since I don't like their pricing (although I don't think they'll lower it).

I still have a question: How can I use one reverb for many channels? Is it possible?

thanx,
Fabian

os

Re: increasing performance

Post by os » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:39 am

monolake wrote:turn off unnused inputs and outputs of your multipe I/O audiointerface ( Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Input / Output Configuration ) on my Hammerfall RME card this saves loads of CPU !
if only we could do this in OS X...

but yes, in OS 9 this saves me about 10% CPU load with my Mobile I/O.

muthafunka

Re: increasing performance

Post by muthafunka » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:12 am

How do you use one effect across multiple channels? Drag an effect into a 'Send' track in the same way as a normal track, then on a clip track tweak the 'sends' knob (1 or 2 depending on where you just dropped the effect) and you'll see the signal show up on the send track fader. You can send from as many clip tracks as you want and they'll all play through the same effect ie if you have a reverb in send 1, any clip tracks that you want reverb on just tweak that track's 'sends 1' knob to taste.
When setting parameters in the send effect itself set 'wet' to 100%.
Make sense?
nik

SUB

Post by SUB » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:32 am

Thanx four your hints. I'll try that out!

greets
Fabian

chris_borgia

Post by chris_borgia » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:12 am

also experiement with ram-disks. Create a ramdisk (apple menu->control panel-> memory.. then chose ram disk) you have a boat load of ram so i would create a big one, like 200mb.. then upon restart you will see this ram disk on your desktop. Use this to store your audio for you live set.

chris_borgia

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:01 pm

??da great article on partitioning. if you're willing to reinstall and partition eveything, this will improve your performance noticably.

http://www.sciencequest.org/support/com ... oning.html

also, keep in mind that stereo tracks eat more cpu than mono tracks. if a clip doesn't need to be stereo (kick drum, bassline, most percussion and vocals) render it and select 'convert to mono'. it won't do much if it's just one clip, but over a whole session it will save you a few extra %'s.

k

SUB

Post by SUB » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:04 pm

thanx to all.

talking about ramdisks: as far as I know there's no tool for os x yet. Im testing a handcrafted beta-state tool from our well-known fellow Alex but I'm not too shure whether this is a good a idea for a stage show...

How about an external 7200rpm firewire HDD? As far as I know the current firewire interface supports transfer rates up to 400 Mbit. Am I right? That doesn't seem to me enough for streaming multiple files of about 70-80 megs each file. But I expect a better performance than from the internal slomo-drive which runs at 4200rpm.

Your experiences?

greets
Fabian

kitchen

Post by kitchen » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:38 pm

Hey Sub,

Ive been using an external firewire harddisk (7200) for half a year now after my internal disk got wrecked during a gig. Performacnce in general seems better than of my internal disk (4800) . Also the external disk is no notebook harddisk and so its less expensive and more resistant to heat and shock. Lately though I have been experiencing problems with my firewire interface. Dont know what the problem is here, but I guess all the club heat and bass vibrations are not too good for any computer hardware :)

kitchen

kitchen

Post by kitchen » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:01 pm

Hey sub,
i know this is off topic, but i looked at your website, shesaiddestroy.org. I just wondered why you have that attitude of not telling the address of those clubs you list there. Ive been playing at the Blumenladen, KuT etc. myself and I know how happy everyone in those small clubs is, if theres lots of people coming. I really dont understand that 'for friends only' hype. In the end I guess its all about the music and not if youre into the scene or not..

kitchen

SUB

Post by SUB » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:09 pm

you're right - it's off-topic. i'll contact you via e-mail...

SUB

Post by SUB » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:33 pm

[off topic]

sorry to all, but maybe I have to answer kitchen right here, cause i'm not quite shure if I have the correct e-mail address.

to make a long story short: i receive most of the dates directly from the clubs/promoters and have the agreement with some of them to not promote their address since they're facing certain problems with the cops, annoying tourists, strange visitors in general... (e.g.ruf mich nie wieder an, Bassy etc.)

second: It IS a website for friends. i know most of the regular visitors, and it's part of the concept to not publish anything I don't like. I pay the rent, I am the boss. ;-)

feel free to send me some information on your project and your gig-dates!
and if you put a "zerstoerer" in your subject-line you'll keep up with anything that happens on shesaiddestroy.org - and even some of the addresses will be published in this group as well...

greets
Fabian

muser

Post by muser » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:04 pm

SUB wrote:thanx to all.

talking about ramdisks: as far as I know there's no tool for os x yet.
Just wanted to point out that http://www.clarkwoodsoftware.com/rambunctious/ has ramdisk software for OSX, and it's the same company that's been making OS9 ramdisk software for years.