Beat Mapping / Tempo Mapping

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Polyganics

Beat Mapping / Tempo Mapping

Post by Polyganics » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:49 am

In Logic Pro, beat mapping is a wonderful way to change the grid and not the audio.

Pro Tools allows you to create beat markers, again, changing the grid not the audio.

How do I do the same thing in Ableton? I know how to warp and move around warp markers, but that changes the audio. I know how to set new warp markers, but that doesn't seem to set "Downbeats" or eighth notes or anything like that.

Help?

Thank you!
Polyganics

yur2die4

Re: Beat Mapping / Tempo Mapping

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:03 am

If you warp a clip, you can have it in the arrangement view and have it determine the master tempo by toggling the Lead Follow button. That’s the method Live offers, for better or for worse. There are a few more details in the manual, if I’m missing anything.

garyboozy

Re: Beat Mapping / Tempo Mapping

Post by garyboozy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:31 pm

further to yur2die4's info, a little tip:

once you have the master clip controlling the tempo, duplicate the warped 'master' clip's track, then mute the orig track and unwarp the master clip on the duplicated track. this way, you'll have the warped clip controlling the tempo, but won't get any warping artifacts when playing.