Should i install Win XP (service pack 2)? and if so...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mosca

Should i install Win XP (service pack 2)? and if so...

Post by mosca » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:53 pm

I have no wish to connect my laptop to the terrorweb so is there anywhere i can (legally) get a hold of Service Pack 2, download it and burn it to a CD for transfer?

is it even worth the bother? What are the benefits?

your thoughts gentlemen

mosca

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:30 pm

you can find service pack at microsoft.com ,it's free & you can burn it .
you get updated drivers ,i instaled it for some softwares & hardwares who needed sp2 .

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Service Pack 2 is mainly a security update. It installs (crappy) Windows Firewall and Security Center and other crap. Your minimum memory requirement with jump by about 25mb, even with all th crap turned off.

For audio, you really don't need it. Why then did I install it, you ask? Because I don't want to be without the latest updates...and you can't update unless you go to Service Pack 2, at least not easily. So I decided to get it going, and then I went into my serives and turned most of them off. A great resource for shutting off your services is http://dhost.info/kyeu/mirror/blackviper/ . After turning everything off, you can run a lean and mean system that's completely up to date.

Keep in mind that for audio, you probably don't need it, and it is quite a bit of work to get your PC up to XP2 and then streamlined for pro audio.

My system now boots up taking about 125mb of RAM at startup. I can get that down by another 10-15mb if I turned off themes, but I like the pretty curves.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:38 pm

I run Live and all my other musicstuff on an not updated Windows and never had a problem.
A friend of mine had a prob with his tascam 122 audiointerface, then we updated and it worked fine, I think there was a usb fix included in an older update, wich comes with the SP2.
But when you don´t have any problems, then don´t update, there comes a lot of unneeded stuff with SP2.

Never change a running system, especially when it´s Windows! That´s what I´ve learned by reinstalling a lot of systems.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

jbible

Post by jbible » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:24 pm

I waited until I reformatted last time to install SP2. Doing a big OS update before I am prepared to reformat makes me nervous. It added some extra crap...I stripped it out. Doesnt really make much difference. A little more stable maybe...but that could just be because I reformatted and tweeked all my settings pretty good.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:30 pm

I definitely find SP2 to be overall more stable and better in terms of adding USB or Firewire devices and fixing network connections, etc. Overall, I'm happier with SP2, but I do have most of the services turned off...I use Black Viper pretty religiously.

FaX-01

Re: Should i install Win XP (service pack 2)? and if so...

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:00 am

mosca wrote:I have no wish to connect my laptop to the terrorweb so is there anywhere i can (legally) get a hold of Service Pack 2, download it and burn it to a CD for transfer?

is it even worth the bother? What are the benefits?

your thoughts gentlemen

mosca

Why bother ?
My DAW never and I mean NEVER goes anywhere near the terrorweb.
Anything that gets downloaded on thsi PC for it gets Virus scanned.
Burned to CDR
Scanned again then taken across the room to the DAW.
Still on SP1 here and see absolutely no need to update myself.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:41 am

just to throw another spanner in the works

I have SP2 and NAV corporate and my laptop has always been connected to the net as well as being my DAW and I've had no problems as a result. Cant even remember what but there are things I liked about SP2 that I think made it worth it, but alot of the fear of the net and installing new things IMO is a hangover from the Win98 days because since XP (home + updates) I've had very few problems. - A copy of XPPro without updates did give me problems at one point and norton seems to do a fine job of catching any unwelcome visitors - I haven't had a virus since 'kakworm' which was about 4 or 5 years ago now and probably on 98 or XP Pro.

I think these days you dont need to be as careful as alot of people make out, and there's always system restore

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:27 pm

forge wrote:just to throw another spanner in the works

I have SP2 and NAV corporate and my laptop has always been connected to the net as well as being my DAW and I've had no problems as a result. Cant even remember what but there are things I liked about SP2 that I think made it worth it, but alot of the fear of the net and installing new things IMO is a hangover from the Win98 days because since XP (home + updates) I've had very few problems. - A copy of XPPro without updates did give me problems at one point and norton seems to do a fine job of catching any unwelcome visitors - I haven't had a virus since 'kakworm' which was about 4 or 5 years ago now and probably on 98 or XP Pro.

I think these days you dont need to be as careful as alot of people make out, and there's always system restore
it is so true ,my pc running win 2000 pro keeps on getting viruses ,as for the 2 running xp with all the updates ,it never happen .
i have started connecting all my computer on the net since windows xp came out ,i never had a problem with them regarding viruses .