Weird audio dropout in Ableton 10 project...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PhunnkMunk

Weird audio dropout in Ableton 10 project...?

Post by PhunnkMunk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:12 am

sent a support request regarding this but no response, so figured I'd try here too...

working on a project in Live 10. having this weird audio dropout for a fraction of a second at the exact same spot every time I playback.

Have turned off all plugins on the master channel to eliminate any cause there. CPU is not overloading, is around 50%. have went through all the automations on all channels to ensure there isn't anything turning on/off that would trigger such a glitch.

I've sometimes experienced such a similar glitch when either the CPU is overloading or using Waves' Abbey Roads vinyl plugin and automating on/off - except neither of those is the culprit in this case.

pretty dumbfounded on why this is happening.

anyone have any ideas of how to further troubleshoot to find the source of why there's this dropout/glitch at this exact spot every time?

Mark Williams

Re: Weird audio dropout in Ableton 10 project...?

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:47 am

You wont get much response here either, you want help but do not give any details. System OS etc. Won't be wasting my time guessing your system.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

ripp76

Post by ripp76 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:50 pm

Have you tried to open a brand new project and loading only the audio that's causing you trouble and see what happens?

I have a similar issue, and it seems the EastWest Play plugin could be the problem.
Live 11 Standard
CPU: i7 7700k
RAM: 48Gb
Windows 10 SSD drive
ASIO4ALL driver
GPU: MSI GTX 1080

PhunnkMunk

Post by PhunnkMunk » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 pm

no, it was a pretty fucking complex project pretty far in, so that wouldn't have even been an option.

if i recall correctly, I might've gotten it worked out simply by reducing the CPU load as much as possible by freezing tracks and turning off plugins that weren't essential until the last steps of the mixdown.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:32 pm

OS and computer details would really be a benefit to post.... ANY time you have an issue. Along with Audio interface.

Would also help to know what the size of your project is (tracks) and with this dropout, is it a complete audio dropout or just one of the instruments as this would help isolate if the issue is a plugin (could be a ram/streaming sample issue) or an application/audio issue.

ripp76

Post by ripp76 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:24 am

I'll try freezing tracks. If I play the WAV file in the preview pane I can hear it fine, no problems at all. When I put that file on the Audio Track, then I have those dropouts.

It's not a big project, CPU shows no more than 10% utilization, RAM is laughing out loud. I guess the EastWest Play plugin may have something to do with this.

I've tried even using the Realtek sound driver and not ASIO4ALL, just in case, the dropouts are still there, so it's not the driver. Must be a plugin.
Live 11 Standard
CPU: i7 7700k
RAM: 48Gb
Windows 10 SSD drive
ASIO4ALL driver
GPU: MSI GTX 1080

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 am

If you use Play it's kind of rubbish, try check the Preference > Streaming option and set the voice to the max available.

Also try toggle the option in the hamburger menu (top left) "Stream From Disk"

As counter intuitive as it sounds, I have a feeling I managed to fix my issue by enabling the stream from disk option. Either there is an issue with Play streaming from RAM when rendering or that option is incorrectly labelled but pretty sure that fixed one of the issues I had.