Quality and stereo loss when exporting

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AcaOrdep

Quality and stereo loss when exporting

Post by AcaOrdep » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Hello everyone! I've been for days trying to export my song from ableton live, but every time I do it I get a huge quality loss, everything sounds muddy and far, and my biggest issue is that I can´t get the song to be stereo, it's being exported as stereo but the channels become equal I already checked everything I needed, and everything I saw online doesn't work.

Here are my settings:

dsu

Re: Quality and stereo loss when exporting

Post by dsu » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 pm

I noticed that you are exporting a WAV and MP3 file. Do both formats sound the same?

Even though you have set the output of the WAV file to be 32 bits , I wonder if the problem could be caused by having too high levels in your mix?

You can check this by noticing if the Master meter is always in the red when you are playing the track in Live. If this is the case, you could just lower the master level until the output is never in the red and then export the track, check to see if the problem is reduced.

You might notice that while listening to the track in Live with the reduced output level you have lost the "punch" of your mix. If when listening to your mixed file, you turn up the volume and the punch is restored you will need to get some amplification for your monitoring environment rather then pushing the loudness in the mix.

Sorry if this doesn't turn out to be helpful information, good luck on resolving the issue.

dsu

AcaOrdep

Post by AcaOrdep » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 pm

dsu wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 pm
I noticed that you are exporting a WAV and MP3 file. Do both formats sound the same?

Even though you have set the output of the WAV file to be 32 bits , I wonder if the problem could be caused by having too high levels in your mix?

You can check this by noticing if the Master meter is always in the red when you are playing the track in Live. If this is the case, you could just lower the master level until the output is never in the red and then export the track, check to see if the problem is reduced.

You might notice that while listening to the track in Live with the reduced output level you have lost the "punch" of your mix. If when listening to your mixed file, you turn up the volume and the punch is restored you will need to get some amplification for your monitoring environment rather then pushing the loudness in the mix.

Sorry if this doesn't turn out to be helpful information, good luck on resolving the issue.

dsu
Hey! The meter in Live is always green throughout the whole song, and I turned off the mp3 encoder, this is driving me crazy as I really wanted to publish this :(

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:31 am

Export as 16bit and not 32bit and see if that helps. No websites will let you upload a 32bit file anyway as far as I know.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 am

If you export in 16 bit, do you have the same problem?
Also, what does your Master channel I/O output settings look like?
Do you have any special routing via External Effects for example?

Lastly, if I understand correctly, when you play your project in Live - the music/sound is clear and has a stereo image (you can hear different things happening in the right channels and the left channels), but once you render out the project to a WAV file and you re-import that WAV file into an empty Ableton Live project with the same Master output I/O settings, you no longer hear the left and right separately, but it all sounds to be in the middle?

So when you say "the channels become equal" this is referring to what you hear, them being no longer different on each side? You are not referring to what you only see visually, right?

AcaOrdep

Post by AcaOrdep » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am

This is kinda awkward :lol:
Turns out I had the "mono" option activated in my windows for some reason hehe.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

I have the same problem. I solve it by recording the master instead of exporting. But I am also curious as to why it sounds so bad when I export it.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:29 pm

AcaOrdep wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am
This is kinda awkward :lol:
Turns out I had the "mono" option activated in my windows for some reason hehe.
At least you got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know what the issue was. Now punish yourself with 40 lashes of a wet noodle.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:33 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:29 pm
Now punish yourself with 40 lashes of a wet noodle.
I was thinking more like beating himself with a wet fish. :D
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:33 pm
Tarekith wrote:
Please don't harm animals!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:03 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Mark Williams wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
FGS
Noodles have feelings too!!

:D :D
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:27 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:03 pm
[jur] wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Mark Williams wrote: