midi track volumes keep changing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nagual65

midi track volumes keep changing

Post by nagual65 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I have Ableton 10 Lite which came with my midi keyboard.(not using the keyboard at the moment)
I had written a track in finale, exported the midi file and imported it on ableton.
I am using sardino violins from Project Sam The Free Orchestra VST for one track and some other free cello section VST for another line.
I keep raising the volume by clicking on the screwdriver button in the bottom and bringing on the vst setting but after I play the piece, stop it and play again it goes back to the base volume. (even though the reverb setting remains the same!)
I even increased the volume to the max in the session view,but it doesnt make any significant difference. when I click on the screw driver button, the volume is at where it was, only by manually increasing the volume there it actually goes up(gets back where it was after stopping the piece)
The crazy thing is I am using pianoteq VST for another line and the volume setting for that doesnt change at all, whatever I chose in VST settings, it remains!
No, the automation button is off and while clicking on the tracks in session view the "show modulation" option is frozen( I don't know what this modulation option is but I assume it's off)
I went back and checked if there is any volume property in the original Finale piece, apparently there isn't any.
please help me figure this out. this is driving me insane.

pottering

Re: midi track volumes keep changing

Post by pottering » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 am

Hard to know what it could be as I don't have that plugin/library installed, but it could still be automation, as there is more than one button that could be called "automation button" (Automation Arm and Automation Mode buttons, plus Clips have other buttons), and more than one place automation can be (Clips Envelopes in Session and Track lanes in Arrangement).

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... envelopes/
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/clip- ... -envelopes

Each MIDI note has its velocity property, which usually translates as volume, but it doesn't change like that.
♥♥♥

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:21 pm

You probably have some volume automation recorded in the MIDI file, it'll be CC#7 usually.

nagual65

Post by nagual65 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:21 pm
You probably have some volume automation recorded in the MIDI file, it'll be CC#7 usually.
how do I find out if that is the case? I just drag the midi file from my desktop into the midi lines in arrangement view. how do I know what is in the file?
The crazy thing is this happens to two particular VSTs,but not the third VST that I'm using!