Super weird crackling sound ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarcusvS

Super weird crackling sound ableton

Post by MarcusvS » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi guys!

So I reached out to ableton support a while back. Unfortunately they were not able to solve my problem but hopefully someone of you geniuses will be able to. When I got a new sound card (SSL 2+), I started having a problem when using Ableton live 10 suite. I haven't experienced something similar before and even now, this problem only appears when using ableton and not other DAWS like cakewalk by bandlab.
When I record things like guitar, vocals etc, a weird crackling sound often appears when playing back the audio I recorded. It's not the crackling sound that happens when using a to low buffer size for the processor. My crackling sound also appears in the recording when I export it and start playing it in a media player. If I loop the section where the crackling noise appears in, it can start crackling in different parts of the audio file and it sometimes disappears completely for a while.

If I change the sample rate in ableton to a sample rate I didn't record the audio in (either a lower or a higher sample rate) , it suddenly disappears for a while. But oftentimes, it appears again after some time. However, this makes me think that the crackling noise is not within the recording itself. I've now tried 2 other sound cards out (from 2 different manufacturers), one of them being the sound card I was using before, and I now have the same problem with those sound cards as well. I've also tried them out on a different computer with different cables but the problem still occurs on there. Not in cakewalk by bandlab though. I also sent ableton support a status report but they couldn't find anything that stuck out. Worth noting is that I never get any crackling sound on midi-tracks. Just audio.

In the examples that I'm attaching, I recorded my guitar with a sample rate of 48k in preferences. Then I exported the guitar recording. Then I switched the sample rate to 44,1k in preferences and exported the guitar recording. Then I switched the sample rate to 96k in preferences and exported the guitar recording. As you can hear, the crackling sound only appears in the audio file named “48k in preferences”.

Link to drive folder with the examples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by MarcusvS on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

teo halm

Re: Super weird crackling sound ableton

Post by teo halm » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 am

same here sigh

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:15 am

Oh well, yet another help me help me thread, without telling us basic system setup info.

Enjoy.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:39 am

LOL...... :lol:

They just don't seem to get it, do they?
Last edited by miyaru on Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 am

miyaru wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:39 am
LOL...... :lol:

They just don't seem to get it, do they?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

MarcusvS

Post by MarcusvS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:50 am

This is my second post in this forum so I dont really know what info to include and not. Im using an asus laptop (2017 vivobook with i7 and 16 gb RAM) running windows 10, 64 bit. Latest version of Ableton 10 (now trying out the ableton 11 beta). The other computer I use is a desktop with similar specs. When doing these tests, I just added an audio track, plugged my guitar in , recorded, put the amp from ableton on the default setting, then exported it. Nothing third party at all and nothing on the master. If U need more info I'll gladly add it in my next reply!

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:09 pm

Maybe your third post, but you been a member for several years, so you shouldve read, that in order for help, you need to provide some sort of system/setup info, its quite basic, but saves a lot of time. Without it, other members wont give up their free time to try and help.

You must ensure, that Ableton and Windows are using the exact same settings, sample rate, driver etc ir you will get weird artifacts. Using the correct soundcard drivers?
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

MarcusvS

Post by MarcusvS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Ok I understand. I have the 24 bit 48k (studio quality) option enabled in windows. Using 48k in ableton preferences as well. In the "Record/Warp/Launch" section in preferences I can also see that im recording in 24 bit WAV. Yeah, I have the correct drivers. I even uninstalled the other sound cards drivers in order to make sure they didnt cause any issues while testing.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Windows using the same playback device as Ableton?

how is Interface connecting to PC USB hub? A lot of interfaces need a direct USB port, and dont like going via Hub.

MarcusvS

Post by MarcusvS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:25 pm

Yeah the same playback device. Im not using a USB-hub. My sound card is always connected directly into the laptop. I've also tried different USB-ports. I keep my setup really minimalistic so other than the sound card, I only have an external screen, a USB-mouse, and a bluetooth keyboard connected. I've also tried out disconnecting the 3 latter devices , but with no success. The problem only occurs on audio tracks, even audio tracks i haven't recorded myself, like splice samples.

MarcusvS

Post by MarcusvS » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Ok, so now I've also tried fl studio for a few days and I don't get the problem with fl... I've also tried out cakewalk by bandlab as I said before and had no issues there either. It's just in ableton, which makes me believe that It's not something wrong with the sound cards, the drivers of the sound cards, nor anything wrong with the windows settings. It must be something weird going on inside ableton? Anyone having any more suggestions of things/settings to try out? highly appreciate any help I can get!

Breizhonneg

Post by Breizhonneg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the same kind of problem : I am currently ripping some of my vinyls so I purchased couple month ago a brand new audio interface (Motu M2).

To proceed to the recording, I plug into my DJ mixer A&H Xone 23 a decent quality cable (Cordial) that is connected to my audio interface in both left and right entrances. The audio interface is then plug by USB to my computer. Once the gain adjusted so it never clip and remain between -1dB and -3dB (in ableton audio track), I start my recording : ALL of my recordings are crackling in a very harsh way in some part of the records, not even the louder parts of the records. It never happen twice at the same place of a same track. I'm saying crackling, but It would be more appropriate to say that at these moment, It's like the sample rate is passing from 44k to 1k for a few seconds. Those rips are unusable.
Here an example : https://soundcloud.com/antoine-allain-4/harsh-crackling

I've been using Audacity for a few recordings since I was not able to solve this issue with different parameters, and never had this problems, all of the recordings are super clean. This probably come from or my OSX version or ableton, if audacity is working perfectly fine with my setup.

FYI : I'm running latest ableton version 10.1.30 on macOS High Sierra, Intel Core i7, 16Go RAM.

Just wanted to share my experience here to see if other people is experiencing the same kind of problem. If it happens with vinyl ripping, this might happen with any other source. I'll be soon using a hardware synth and would like to record it within ableton, this would be a pity if I couldn't do it.

Hope to read you soon!

morgien

Post by morgien » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:50 am

Same issue here, and a partial solution too.

How to get the crackle:
- Run ableton (live 10 on laptop computer in my case)
- set monitoring to IN/AUTO
- plug a cable into audio interface (Scarlett 6i6 1st gen in my case) - doesn't occur without the cable (probably because the input is inactive without it?) and it does not matter if there is an instrument (guitar/bass in my case) plugged in or not
- press play = crackle. Press record = crackle. And, funny enough, the crackle is "bpm synced" :D Meaning the sound is definitely connected to something that Ableton is doing, because yes, same as other people, I had no such problem in other software (tested with Reaper trial and Audacity in my case).
- Thats not all, all I need to do is to press and hold the left click mouse button in track area and the crackle is there too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn2v5te3jrx77 ... n.mp4?dl=0

What I tried and didnt help:
- all kind drivers
- all kind of audio settings within Ableton
- all kind of input and output settings within Scarlett MixControl software (including muting other inputs, switching line/instrument, and many more)
- prayer
- cursing

I even contacted the Focusrite, as I thought it to be something they got wrong, but in the end I've asked them to close the ticket, nothing they can do really . And I doubt a ticked with Ableton would help either, even though it's strange that it really happens in Ableton only - people with different audio interfaces reporting this issue as well. F.e. this thread on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... recording/
But - when I plug in a Boss Katana 50 and use it as audio interface, no issue, not even with Ableton. Different PSU maybe, better shielding? Because this issue is a combination of something that Ableton does plus the PSU related interference.

Now to the solution. Reddit OP solved it by buying USB C powered audio interface. Makes sense, in the light of what my solution is.

First time I got rid of the crackle was when I moved the interface to a different position a plugged it in a different socket in power strip.
Worked for a while, later, no idea why, crackle appeared again. (and yes I've tried like 3 different power adapters, in case the one I've used was the culprit, nope, no change there). Maybe different wall outlet would help, but that would be cumbersome in my case.

For now, every time I have crackling in ableton, i just let the play button pressed while moving my audio interface around until I find a position where the crackling sound disappears. Last time i had to record with the Scarlett set on the same place as before, just upside down :)

So in short
- try an audio interface that is powered by USB - helped some people, and I've tested it with Zoom H1n and can confirm I had no crackle (guitar didn't sound very good though, since H1n inputs are meant for microphones) - but - my test with Boss Katana proves, that AC power itself doesn't have to be a problem.
- simply try a different audio interface position, and if possible, have as little other power cables around it as possible and, if possible, different wall outlet then your laptop.

Hope this helps someone, cheers.

JamesAlphonse

Post by JamesAlphonse » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:29 pm

I think I figured out the problem... at least for myself, but it seems to be exactly the same as your problem minus steps 2 and 3 below. My quick response here, is try Ableton 11 Trial version and my long winded response is below. Hope it helps someone here!

Now, oddly enough for me, there were 3 problems, and I figured that out after recalling an episode of House lol. Essentially, they stated that really tough medical cases can be the result of a combination of symptoms, so don't count out multiple parts of your chain. I'll list the challenges I had here.

1. If you have an Apple computer with an M1 or M2 chip, that's likely the cause. Ableton started having all these issues when I upgraded my computer, like crackles upon stopping audio (even though I got a top of the line Macbook and spent a day on the phone seeing if it was an Apple problem). Then, I remembered that my Apogee Duet completely stopped working because of the M1 chip, and thought "I wonder if that's the case with Ableton as well?". I used the Trial version of 11 and a lot of my problems went away, but not all!

2. After, I still had some challenges. I was using a Triton preamp as part of my chain and it was introducing a high frequency, hiss and it was particularly triggered by a louder singing and sibilance. I was told that it could have had something to do with using my Heritage Edition interface (which already has preamps) with the Triton. Unfortunately, I didn't realized this earlier, but I read a lot of blogs saying to always use an SM7B with a preamp. I just totally forgot that it's not the case when it's already in your interface. If you still need a lift to your signal, consider a preamp plugin!

3. Some things were just at the source. I had thought most of my sibilant sounds were from the above two problems, but they were masking that I just needed to sing better and that I could use a pop filter.

Anyways, I hope my 2 weeks of troubleshooting can help someone else get some peace of mind! Best wishes to you all!!