Looper "undo" via Multi-purpose button doesn't work as expected

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
manasseh

Looper "undo" via Multi-purpose button doesn't work as expected

Post by manasseh » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:20 pm

This is a very old issue:

Using undo via the multipurpose button in Looper in Live 10, whether mapped to a keystroke, midi note or using the mouse, leads to the same bug.
From what I understood in the manual, it will "erase" the last recorded overdub in the Looper when I hold the button for 2 seconds...

What happens in reality, is that the looper multi-pupose button goes into overdub mode (as soon as it detects the click) and then, sensing it was a longer click, it undoes the recorded clip immediately (which recorded silence) - making it appear that nothing happened, except undo changed to redo.
As an experiment, if you try to play something while you hold the button to undo, and then press redo afterwards, you'll hear the recorded sound, which means it switched momentarily to overdub mode.

Seems to me this is self defeating - when the button is held for 2 sec, looper shouldn't interpret a switch to overdub mode and start recording, but solely to undo the *previous* clip, that took place before pressing the button.

Does anybody experience the same problem?
Live 10.1.30

Semmi Cicó

Re: Looper "undo" via Multi-purpose button doesn't work as expected

Post by Semmi Cicó » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Same here,

I struggeling with it since a few week. Now I seeing, this is an unresolved problem from 2011 !!!!

Gusztav

Semmi Cicó

Post by Semmi Cicó » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:39 pm

I have a solution!

The main problem is, how Ableton expect the CC messages.

My setup: Line6 UX2 with a pedal. This pedal must be "Momentary" - in this case, it will send always two MIDI messages. In my case I am sending on the chanel 01 the MIDI CC 85. In a monitoring software (i am using MIDIVIEW) you will see:
01 85 0
01 85 127

However, ableton live expects:
01 85 127
01 85 0

We need to translate the MIDI messages, otherwise ableton "thinks", you are holding the pedal and after 2 seconds, it makes a REDO. I am using BONE MIDI Translator. The process is quite straightforward, but if you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me!

Regards

Gusztav

Semmi Cicó

Post by Semmi Cicó » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm

You can also use the program, which is free
Bome's Midi Translator Classic

In this case you will need to install loopbe1 - for routing the MIDI messages to the Ableton Live. You need to select "Loopbe internal Midi" as an "Midi Out" in the "Bome's Midi Translator Classic" .

Regards

Gusztav

manasseh

Post by manasseh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:53 pm

Hi,

I mapped the multi-purpose button to a keystroke, midi note or using the mouse - and could reproduce the problem in all three cases.

also my sustain pedal which works in momentary mode , behaves the same way.

What do you suggest?
Live 10.1.30

manasseh

Post by manasseh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm

Finally submitted this bug to Ableton ticket support, and is now awaiting analysis and bug fix.
Live 10.1.30

cuneytkarayalcin

Post by cuneytkarayalcin » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:32 pm

Hey ! I just reversed the polerity of the foot pedal ! and it worked :)

gelbfinger

Post by gelbfinger » Tue May 02, 2023 3:13 am

manasseh wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm
Finally submitted this bug to Ableton ticket support, and is now awaiting analysis and bug fix.
Did you ever get an answer ? I opened a report ticket too, but apart from automatic replies that didnt help, I go no answer.

manasseh

Post by manasseh » Tue May 02, 2023 10:30 am

Hi, I'm not sure my bug report submission was considered to be a bug in the end or was simply deprioritized.
Live 10.1.30

gelbfinger

Post by gelbfinger » Thu May 04, 2023 2:31 pm

thank you,
i wrote to the support as well, but never got an answer appart from two automaticly generated one which were refering to the manual and then ask me to explain the issue again. No answer since.

I did try to controll the Mulitpurpose button with the line 6 HX Stomp. While CC message had the issues of the Looper not reacting well i got it to work by making the HX Stomp sending a Momentary Note On Message. now it works fine ! (Ableton 11). hope that might help someone else.