WIDTH"W" button question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Julia123

WIDTH"W" button question

Post by Julia123 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:47 pm

When I select the little "width" button my arrangement is far longer than my song. I have erased everything after the end. The H button works as it should.

I know I can grab the selector at the top and adjust there but I would think the W button should automatically fit my project from start to finish without all of the extra empty space on my screen?
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

diemo

Re: WIDTH"W" button question

Post by diemo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:35 pm

same question here, how to reset the "optimal" arrangement width to what is really there?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:24 pm

if you have any automation breakpoints after the clips, they'll be counted as part of the arrangement.

diemo

Post by diemo » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:23 pm

Nope, there's nothing there. I went through all the tracks, all automation envelopes with a red dot in the menu, no points, no markers.
Even if I highlight the empty part and do "delete time", the overview bar shows all with the empty space and zooms out entirely.
However, I noticed that the "W" button or key does actually zoom to show only the used space. That is workable, but it would still be nice if the overview adapted, at least on reloading an arrangement.
Cheers!

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:56 pm

I think there must be something you don't see.

When I have the issue, it's only because there's an automation point somewhere...
And in a complex set, I can spend 10mn finding the issue, because you need to check all the automation lines from all the tracks...

Highlighting the empty part doesn't help if the automation lane that has the faulty point is is not selected...

PM Ableton 11235

Post by PM Ableton 11235 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:25 pm

I am seeing a similar issue in Ableton 11 Live. My tracks all stop after 1min of recording time, but when I press "W" or double-click on the Overview, arrangement view zooms out to like 10min. So, ~9min of empty space. If I select View-Automation, all of the red lines are dotted, indicating no automation points added, but for thoroughness I also scanned through full time for all tracks. Anywhere else in the project to check that might be telling Ableton it needs to zoom out that far, or is there a way to 'reset' the zoom scale?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:38 pm

PM Ableton 11235 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:25 pm
I am seeing a similar issue in Ableton 11 Live. My tracks all stop after 1min of recording time, but when I press "W" or double-click on the Overview, arrangement view zooms out to like 10min. So, ~9min of empty space. If I select View-Automation, all of the red lines are dotted, indicating no automation points added, but for thoroughness I also scanned through full time for all tracks. Anywhere else in the project to check that might be telling Ableton it needs to zoom out that far, or is there a way to 'reset' the zoom scale?
You probably have a Take hidden in a Take Lane.
This is annoying... but it's fixed in the latest L11.2.11, so update your Live and you should be good :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:33 pm

I figured out you can put the play cursor at the end of the song and press ctrl+shift+end and then ctrl+L to select everything through the end of the song, then right click on the loop brace and delete time.

or it sounds like that’s fixed now which means it’s time for me to immediately forget it’s fixed and keep taking all those steps in perpetuity instead. 😆

PM Ableton 11235

Post by PM Ableton 11235 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:19 am

Thank you, I tried updating and restart but it didn't resolve the this issue. Also checked all of my tracks, didn't have any Take Lanes created that I could see. I confess I don't really use Session View and create takes, I create everything directly in Arrangement view.

[jur] wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:38 pm
PM Ableton 11235 wrote:
This is annoying... but it's fixed in the latest L11.2.11, so update your Live and you should be good :wink:

PM Ableton 11235

Post by PM Ableton 11235 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:21 am

This worked for me. Thank you for the tip!
slow.robot wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:33 pm
I figured out you can put the play cursor at the end of the song and press ctrl+shift+end and then ctrl+L to select everything through the end of the song, then right click on the loop brace and delete time.

or it sounds like that’s fixed now which means it’s time for me to immediately forget it’s fixed and keep taking all those steps in perpetuity instead. 😆

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:27 am

PM Ableton 11235 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:19 am
Thank you, I tried updating and restart but it didn't resolve the this issue. Also checked all of my tracks, didn't have any Take Lanes created that I could see. I confess I don't really use Session View and create takes, I create everything directly in Arrangement view.

[jur] wrote:
PM Ableton 11235 wrote:
Take Lanes are an Arrangement only feature...
Ableton Forum Moderator

PM Ableton 11235

Post by PM Ableton 11235 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:59 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:27 am
PM Ableton 11235 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:19 am

[jur] wrote:

Take Lanes are an Arrangement only feature...
Then I am even less knowledgeable about what I'm doing than I thought :)