Abusing Ableton Compressor's Side Chain For Unlimited Returns and/or Post-Fader Inserts (think Airwindows)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbone1313

Abusing Ableton Compressor's Side Chain For Unlimited Returns and/or Post-Fader Inserts (think Airwindows)

Post by jbone1313 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:28 pm

TL;DR: If you use Ableton's compressor, at 0% wet, with side chain enabled, side chain EQ disabled, and side chain listen enabled, you can do some dastardly routings. You can basically tap any audio signal in Live from any other place in Live.

It's nuts.

Aside from the below, can you think of any other ways this compressor abuse can be employed? Or any other feedback?

I have long wanted a way to do post-fader inserts in Ableton, mainly to be able to use Airwindows Console. I realized that the Ableton compressor can be abused for this purpose. It is also a way to have unlimited return tracks.

For unlimited returns, you can create a rack of these compressors, in parallel, and tap each and every track's output. Put this rack on a track. Duplicate as much as needed.

For Airwindows Console, you can create a rack of these compressors, in parallel, and tap each track's Post-FX output. That gives you the signal pre-fader, which will allow you to maintain unity gain, which is what Console needs. This is essentially a post-fader insert.

Then, you can add a utility plugin (for pan; gain is adjusted on the ConsoleChannel) and the Console channel plugin after each compressor, so that the Console channel is sitting right where it needs to be: post fader/pre Console bus.

This solves a big problem with mixing with Airwindows Console. Console users are aware of the strict gain and routing requirements. In heavy mixes, where track freezing is necessary, Console can be difficult to manage, because every time you want to make a track gain or pan adjustment, you would have to unfreeze the track. But, with this technique, that is no longer necessary, as all the Console plugins will be on other, unfrozen tracks.

With a MIDI controller and some simple macro setup and/or MIDI mapping, this can be a really efficient workflow. All these Consoles can be neatly organized in a rack, which is accessible via Push or other controllers.

The one downside is it messes up the solo buttons, since in many cases, you will be routing with "Sends Only" from the source track. I.e., if you are doing this, then when you press solo on a track, the track will not effectively solo, because its audio is being tapped elsewhere. IIRC, this is not an issue if using this technique for unlimited sends. And, if using this in mixing, with Airwindows Console, then IMO, it is no problem - workflow wise - to solo in the Airwindows chain.
Last edited by jbone1313 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pottering

Re: Abusing Ableton Compressor's Side Chain For Unlimited Returns and/or Post-Fader Inserts (think Airwindows)

Post by pottering » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am

For the solo button, you can route Post-Mixer in the Compressors (I prefer Gate), then add another Compressor(s) to the Master, this time routed Post-FX from the track with "Sidechained Compressors + Airwindows Console" (not clear you used another Track but I assume so).

Post-Mixer in Compressor will get the audio solo-ed or not, while Post-FX in the Master will get the audio before the Solo button mutes it.

EDIT: I just group Tracks and mute the Group to avoid both tracks and sidechains going into the Master. There are probably other ways of achieving those routings.
♥♥♥

jbone1313

Re: Abusing Ableton Compressor's Side Chain For Unlimited Returns and/or Post-Fader Inserts (think Airwindows)

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:21 am

Awesome. Thanks a lot. You have given me some ideas.

Are you running Airwindows Console?

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:30 am

No, I'm don't run that plugin, I just thought your post was interesting, and after reading it I tested a bit to see if I could get the solo buttons working with a routing using Sidechain Listen.
♥♥♥

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:25 am

pottering wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am
For the solo button, you can route Post-Mixer in the Compressors (I prefer Gate), then add another Compressor(s) to the Master, this time routed Post-FX from the track with "Sidechained Compressors + Airwindows Console" (not clear you used another Track but I assume so).

Post-Mixer in Compressor will get the audio solo-ed or not, while Post-FX in the Master will get the audio before the Solo button mutes it.
This works perfectly. Huge thanks!

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:37 am

Yes this is an old trick.
If you feel limited by it at some point and have M4L, then these devices were created to counteract Live's limited (no individual pre/post) sends.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:37 am
Yes this is an old trick.
If you feel limited by it at some point and have M4L, then these devices were created to counteract Live's limited (no individual pre/post) sends.
Thanks for suggesting those devices; they look cool.

After a quick test, they still do not help me solve the only outstanding issue I have, which is dealing with the solo buttons. Despite my reply above, using your devices or the compressor/gate thing, I still cannot quite get the solo buttons working when dealing with multiple levels of bussing. But, that is fine, I can work around it.

If I end up using your devices in my work, then I will donate.