Need help! Different audio effects in different scenes (for a live microphone)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
petterln

Need help! Different audio effects in different scenes (for a live microphone)

Post by petterln » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm looking into using Ableton for live backing tracks as well as a live processed microphone. Amongst other things, I will be using a comically extreme autotune-effect. It seems pretty simple to set up different scenes with all my tracks, and to add the live-track for my microphone. I've also figured out how to add fx to my live vocals.

The question is: Can I add different fx to my live vocal input for the different scenes? I would need my autotune pre-saved in different keys for different songs, for instance. In some songs I don't want autotune, but maybe I want something different. Is this possible?

If not, is it possible to add a bunch of different live vocal channels with the same input, and then set all but one of them to be muted in each scene?

Thanks in advance for all help, I'm brand new to the program.

Petter

jestermgee

Re: Need help! Different audio effects in different scenes (for a live microphone)

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 am

I'd probably suggest first testing things slowly. While you may have learned how to rout audio into live, through effects and back out again especially if you then want to chock up the program with a heap of wackly effects you may find either latency causes a delay that is irritating or the system starts to hiccup with too low buffer.

What you would need to do is either create a chain device (google this) with effects all on a single track but divided into chains you can switch between to enable the effect you want or just create separate tracks which you just arm when you want to select a track. The latter would allow for separate mix controls for each effect which would be better.

Best way, as always, is to just get stuck in and see what does and does not work for you.

petterln

Re: Need help! Different audio effects in different scenes (for a live microphone)

Post by petterln » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've used this setup in mainstage for a few years, so the computer should be able to handle it. I've set it up in an audio effects rack right now, which I will try to automate in the different scenes to switch between various effects.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:23 pm

The feature that you'll need to research s dummy clips, these can be used to set the effects on a track when they're triggered...

Cheers
D