Session View/Live Looping questions with launchkeys mini

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gdgross

Session View/Live Looping questions with launchkeys mini

Post by gdgross » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi all. Longtime musician, new to ableton, and wanting to get into session view for live lopping performances and maybe spontaneous songwriting. I'm mostly a guitarist, but play other instruments passably, a longtime protools user, and I guess kinda old school in my understanding of DAWs and signal flow and such.

I got myself a novation launchkeys mini mk3 as a controller, which so far seems to integrate well. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is there a way to set up in advance the number of bars in a scene before you start recording it? It's difficult, for example, to play a phrase right up to the end of a 4 bar scene, and hit the trigger button to stop it without adding an unwanted extra bar in the scene. Or must I simply get used to playing with one hand and stopping the scene recording with the other? (For my immediate purposes, I'm thinking of forcing every scene to 4 bars or something like that.)

2. there's a tempo knob on my launchkeys that doesn't seem to control the session tempo. It might be controlling arpeggiator subdivision or something, I don't know. Is there a way to change this? Everything else seems to map ok so far.

3. with the launchkeys, it seems all recorded scenes default to looping - can I make one or two of them one-shots? (these might not need to slave to the 4 bar length i mentioned earlier)

Alternatively, maybe someone could point me towards some good tutorials on session view/looping with a controller in Live?

Thanks all!
Geoff

gdgross

Re: Session View/Live Looping questions with launchkeys mini

Post by gdgross » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Bumping, are there any decent tutorials on this subject? The manual and user guide don't really address these questions as far as I can see

gdgross

Re: Session View/Live Looping questions with launchkeys mini

Post by gdgross » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:41 pm

Bumping a second time... 😬😬