Delay in scene stopping after pressing pause

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fohn jashanu

Delay in scene stopping after pressing pause

Post by fohn jashanu » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Hey,

I have just downloaded the trial version of Ableton, so I'm brand new. There seems to be a setting turned on which keeps playing the track for a second or so after pressing pause/stop. The same thing happens with individual scenes and clips, so it's hard to follow the part of the tutorial where you are supposed to use the Session view to play around with layering the demo track on the fly. So this acts like an echo effect on a mixer/dj controller and I'd like to know how to turn it off.

I also have some skipping and cracking in the sound for some scenes. I have gone into preferences and tried to change the buffer size, but there is no option to change from 256 samples. There is no dropdown like in the images I've seen on google.

Any help would be great.

Thank you

pottering

Re: Delay in scene stopping after pressing pause

Post by pottering » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 pm

That delay sounds like Clip Launch Quantization and the Global Quantization setting.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/launc ... antization

Buffer size settings depend on the OS's or audio interface's audio drivers, Live just picks up whatever those offer. The dropdown you see in most videos is usually from the OS driver.

fohn jashanu

Re: Delay in scene stopping after pressing pause

Post by fohn jashanu » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi,

Thanks, that's helpful. I can see that by changing quantization to None, this enables me to start a clip immediately, rather than coming in on the next downbeat.

But there is still a trail of like 3 seconds after i stop a clip before sound stops. Again, this is like there is an echo effect on, which i'm keen to know how to turn off.

To be honest, i find the instructions on the website quite hard to follow. Are there any good basic video tutorials out there?

Thanks again