Pre recorded midi > Hardware Synth help

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SonnyAngell

Pre recorded midi > Hardware Synth help

Post by SonnyAngell » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:33 am

Hey Folks!

Version: Ableton Live 10 Suite

How can I set up my hardware synth to play my pre-recorded midi tracks in Ableton?

Lets say I have a pre-recorded midi track, and I want to use my YAMAHA MODX7 as a slave to play the sounds / presets

How would I make that happen? External Instrument? Can it be done via USB? Please let me know how to properly set it up

Chancery

Re: Pre recorded midi > Hardware Synth help

Post by Chancery » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:19 am

You answered yourself. External Instrument.
Send the midi to the MODX and set the audio to receive from whichever input of your interface it is plugged to.
Yes, it can, and dare I say should, be done over USB. If the Yamaha is properly implemented you should see it in the list by its name.
That's assuming by "a slave to play the sounds / presets" you mean to play the midi notes in the track. If what you mean is to change presets that's a different story.

SonnyAngell

Post by SonnyAngell » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 pm

Hey! thank you for the reply!

Yes that's what I mean - I want to hit play, and the midi signals use the YAMAHA as its current preset / sound

as the track is playing will I be able to change my preset on the Yamaha and the sound changes as well?

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 am

SonnyAngell wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 pm
as the track is playing will I be able to change my preset on the Yamaha and the sound changes as well?
Yes, you can change the preset on your Yamaha from Live on a per-clip basis. That setting is within Clip View, so Live reads it at the beginning of each clip.