Setting up a virtual MIDI network

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
pemby

Setting up a virtual MIDI network

Post by pemby » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Following https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... DI-network

and my setup

What computer do I configure the network connection on? Both or one?

pottering

Re: Setting up a virtual MIDI network

Post by pottering » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:44 am

As described in the help, Windows doesn't come with any MIDI routing (not even internal between Windows software), and needs the linked software installed and configured.

Not a Mac user, but that help file says on step 6: "Next, repeat this procedure on a second Mac computer", implying it needs to be setup in all Mac computers involved.

yur2die4

Re: Setting up a virtual MIDI network

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 am

It’s been a while for me. It in my experience midi over a network on Windows can be frustrating. I seem to recall using an rtp midi program back in the day.

I don’t want to pretend like buying random gear is a pleasant and accessible option for people but I do have a suggestion that I do find to be pretty robust.

I use Bluetooth midi often. Bluetooth midi especially works naturally with Apple stuff. It seems they put in the work to ensure that it’s useable and easily accessible on their OS / hardware.

On the Windows computer is where the ‘buying gear’ part comes into play. I’m a fan of these Yamaha Bluetooth midi dongles. They connect to a midi port, get their power from Just that port, and are able to send or receive midi. In this particular case, I would plug the dongle into the midi input of an audio interface (that is, if you have a midi input) and then connect the Apple computer to the Bluetooth midi dongle.

Again, the unfortunate part about this is that it requires buying an extra item. Plus, sometimes Bluetooth isn’t an option, I do not know what distance or what setting you intend to do this network method from.