Live 11/ M1 MBP CPU Spikes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Live 11/ M1 MBP CPU Spikes

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 pm

Yeah everything is unclear in this thread. OP is running either Live 11 in Rosetta or running the beta, or running the beta in Rosetta. Subsequent responders have not stated whether they're running the beta or not, or if on an M1 whether in Rosetta or not. Not to mention whether the plug ins they're using are running in Rosetta with a Native OS, Native with a Rosetta OS, etc. etc.

It's really important when trying to find what you think of as a bug to name the exact version of Live you're running, whether it's the beta or not, whether it's running in Rosetta or not, whether the plug ins that are spiking are in Rosetta or not.

There's absolutely no information you can get at the end of a beta, with the new M1 chip out that uses a wrapper of sorts to run x86 AU plug ins in Live, if you don't at least list what exactly you're doing. It's always possible it's a spike caused by the beta softwares extra documenting code for instance. It's always possible it's a set of plug ins you all own that are at the moment somewhat buggy in 11.

Greenapples2019

Re: Live 11/ M1 MBP CPU Spikes

Post by Greenapples2019 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi, I'm running the latest Beta on an M1 MBP and it's a definite improvement over Live 11 using Rosetta. I only used Ableton and Fabfilter plugins and ran a few like-for-like comparisons, and CPU usage is about a quarter lower on the Beta. I get a few spikes (rising to 200% for a couple of seconds), which seem to be linked to M4L devices rather than plug-ins but as I'm pretty new to M4L this may be expected?

Quick question though: in Logic Pro X you can specify how many of the M1's high performance cores are used, to spread the load out. Does anyone know how Ableton spreads the load between the cores, and whether the user can influence it at all?