Rewire no longer supported - damn

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KR3000

Rewire no longer supported - damn

Post by KR3000 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:34 am

I upgraded to version 11 and noticed Rewire no longer works. I read that Rewire is no longer supported and so is dropped. I understand there is a workaround but this is terrible news for those who use Ableton rewired into another DAW. I believe there is a large volume of users who use Ableton in this way and it is terrible news that Rewire will no longer be supported. I wonder if Ableton will work on a replacement industry standard? Surely its in their best interests to retain users in future. I love both Ableton and S1 but not having Rewire support would leave Ableton surplus to requirements.

Angstrom

Re: Rewire no longer supported - damn

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:43 am

I think the problem with Rewire was twofold for Ableton

Firstly, it’s abandoned technology now. from Propellerheads

>Reason Studios has announced that they will discontinue the Rewire protocol end of 2020.

Secondly, I don’t think Ableton like taking this submissive role (of being being a rewired appendage to another DAW). I always got the impression they resented that “second DAW” status. Or they wanted to force people to use Ableton as the primary DAW, which obviously isn’t possible for many people in their own real production environment .

So I really doubt they will create new bridging software which puts them in this “secondary” / sidecar position. They like the walled garden model of Apple and only adopted Steinberg and Propellerhead 3rd party software because it was expedient at the time to do so.

They wish to be the top dog, so it’s unlikely they will manufacture software which they feel devalues Live.

Just my impression, pulled out of nowhere much and should be treated with the respect due to all internet opinions :wink:

KR3000

Post by KR3000 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:14 pm

That would be a shame if true, Ableton is a great DAW but S1 has some features I can't drop, ARA2 support, mixing flexibility, Pipeline XT etc. I will continue to use Rewire into Ableton 10 but this will likely be my last purchase of Ableton unless a solution is found. I'm sure one of these companies could buy the Rewire tech or develop a new solution. Such a shame if this is no longer possible.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 pm

It has nothing to do with Ableton, Props no longer support it, simple as that. :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

KR3000

Post by KR3000 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 pm
It has nothing to do with Ableton, Props no longer support it, simple as that. :)
Of course it does have something to do with Ableton, it was a feature of their DAW, and it means there is a major functionality now missing which could impact future sales. The question is whether Ableton or another industry figure will come out with a similar feature or even buy the Rewire code from Reason?

richardsun

Post by richardsun » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:03 pm

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:58 pm

Rewire still works on Live 11 exactly the same as it used to (unsurprisingly since Rewire is dead for years and won't change anymore), it is only disabled by default.

Just use -EnableReWire in options.txt to enable it.

Live 11 installs Rewire (64-bit) with all installs (Rewire DLL is in Redist folder in Live's install folder), while Studio One 5 doesn't even come with Rewire, it is a completely separate installer the user has to download and install separately.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... udio-One-5
ReWire is not installed with Studio One 5 because Reason Studio is retiring ReWire in 2020.
Doesn't make much sense OP's assumptions about the future of Rewire in Live and Studio One being so biased towards S1.

PreSonus already removed Rewire from S1's installers.

Pretty obvious that between Live and S1, the DAW that is going to fully drop Rewire first is S1.

EDIT: Also S1 doesn't even have complete support for Rewire, it only hosts, while Live can host and can be a device (as OP knows).
♥♥♥

Anderton

Post by Anderton » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm

It seems to me that Ableton are doing the best they can under the circumstances - making it still available to those who are willing to dig for it, but not officially supporting it. It's like there are plenty of software programs that work just fine with Windows 7, but companies won't officially support an operating system that Microsoft itself no longer supports.

There are still a few programs that support DirectX plug-ins, even though that's been a dead standard for years. Yet the plug-ins still work in programs that support DirectX. There's always a chance that ReWire will be like one of those ghost ships that keeps travelling the oceans, even though the crew died years ago.

Then again, there are enough programs (Finale, Notion, Melodyne, Waves) that depend on ReWire for certain functions,,,maybe someone will pick it up, dust it off, and keep it going through at least another generation or two of operating system changes. Or maybe not. Too bad if it dies completely, I use ReWire a lot.