anyone using Live2 as their primary recording environment?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fooflinger

anyone using Live2 as their primary recording environment?

Post by fooflinger » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:00 am

I've been using DP and PT for years, but am itching to get out of OS9 once and for all. I finally bought a copy of Live2 and find it very fun. Anyone actually using it as a primary DAW? Much of my stuff is audio-only, drum loops and live instruments overdubbed. Seems like there might just be enough horsepower to make it work...although it would be nice to have some basic waveform edit/trim capabilities internal to the program.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:53 am

I have been using MOTU DP for years and due to their apparent lack of commitment to OS X, I now much prefer using Ableton Live for just about everything. As I mentioned in another post, if Ableton were to add just these three improvements: AU/VSTi , G4 AltiVec support and QuickTime video, I would replace DP as my main recording environment.

twelve

Post by twelve » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:20 am

yes, i use live exclusively and wouldn't think twice about it if i could take advantage of au/vsti's and an eraser tool but am hoping apple releases a mini-daw which would have these or a au/vsti rewire host.

tjwett not logged

Post by tjwett not logged » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:52 am

I use Logic for most of my work(video scoring mostly), but if Live had Quicktime sync, and VSTi support(even if it was audio-only via ReWire) it would be my main thang. I still use it alot, but for now it's mostly a studio "sketchpad". I guess that's pretty much what everyone else said. It's surely capable of producing a "finished" product, you just have to get everything ready elsewhere.

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:39 pm

myself as well,
i've been using DP since 1991
and protools since it was called "sound tools"

live is by far much more efficient.
the days of racks of midi gear are over.
now we have an app like live that manipulates audio like midi.

i've adapted.
i built a pc just for live. and spent a fraction of what i would've paid for
a new mac and DP.

the choice is clear.....
dpel
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:11 pm

ive done loads of tracks just ith live - but at the moment im using FM7vsti and B4vsti so have to use cubase with live as the rewire slave - this means unforuneatly, i have to use cubase to record stuff - then i impoort it into live- tiresome