Help sync generative music to video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryjohohojyr

Help sync generative music to video

Post by ryjohohojyr » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:08 pm

Hello all :)

I'm hoping maybe someone can give me some direction to help me realize an idea I have. I make generative music using ableton and I'd like to sync it to video somehow. Layers of light and textures and stuff like that, being triggered by and regulated by the sounds. I'd like to go as far as to sync up parameters across audio and video, like for example, to have pitch in audio control hue in video, stuff like that. Essentially making a soundscape that informs it's own light show, one generative entity making light and sound

Ever hear of anything like this or have an resources you could share that might give me some direction? I imagine others are also doing this but farther along and I just don't know where to look ahah

djorno

Re: Help sync generative music to video

Post by djorno » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 am

Yo!

I am working on an 'inter-gene-reactive' system which uses Live + Resolume Avenue to achieve what you speak of, although I'm sure what's being developed would translate to other software you might be using yourself. What program did you have in mind for the video side of things, or were you looking for Ableton specific / M4L plugins?

I'm literally working on this stuff right as I type this. Random headache-inducing errors and obstacles keep popping up which prevent me from having a polished and presentable solution for you *quite yet*, unfortunately, but will be sure to share progress as is made. In the meantime, care to elaborate a bit on the generative music aspect of things? Any particularly cool techniques ya care to share?

Cheers

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:29 pm

One word : OSC.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ryjohohojyr

Post by ryjohohojyr » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:41 pm

I'm open to any video software. It's the one aspect I'm totally open to. I have close to 0 experience with visuals other than just from knowing VJs and doing projections for a couple dj's on resolume at festivals.
So long as I can get it to interact with clips of midi in Live and maybe even map certain variables to each other across platforms if possible.

Thanks so much!

And whats OSC?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:43 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:29 pm
One word : OSC.
This in Resolume is a dream come true!!

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 am

ryjohohojyr wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:41 pm
And whats OSC?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control
Basically, a way to send a lot of info between anything and anything, in a very readable way.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Matties Grooten

Post by Matties Grooten » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:40 pm

Please take a look at EboSuite