Live 11 Sudden CPU Spikes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slow.robot

Re: Live 11 Sudden CPU Spikes

Post by slow.robot » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:20 pm

moukoko wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:57 pm
...is there a way of insisting that ableton takes the NVIDIA GPU rather than the intel one? I am worried about this too...
if you have the Nvidia GPU activity icon in your taskbar (right side—near network status, time and date, etc. icons—you can click to see if Ableton is listed when it’s running. mine started using the GPU by default, so I suspect yours is too.

if not, I think there’s a way in Windows’ options to either exclude or include certain software from running off the GPU.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 pm

moukoko wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm
Hi there.

Running Ableton on big custom built rig - latest intel i9 10900x processor, 64 GB RAM etc, big GPU, 4k monitor.

Getting some very odd behaviour when recording in arrangement view. Have instances at the end of a four bar loop where - for no clear reason - the CPU will suddenly bump to several thousand % and glitch out before returning to normal? Anybody else getting this?
Snap. It has been a horror show for the past 2 weeks. At 1st I couldn't even download Live 11. I literally had to call a tech support line to find a file which Ableton had bizarrely omitted from their upgrade files. Then the crashes started. It has got so bad that I am unable to open my Live 10 files at all & I am panicking as I had about 40 songs in production which I cannot access. I am even switching computers to get one that can handle Ableton (although previous setup was recommend by producers so it looks like 11 and the way it was coded is not efficient). Wish they would reply to give more support & give specific steps to get it to work.

I also posted a thread about this which you might want to check out to cross reference the solutions from forum members.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:09 pm

luckykat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 pm
moukoko wrote:
Hi there.

Running Ableton on big custom built rig - latest intel i9 10900x processor, 64 GB RAM etc, big GPU, 4k monitor.

Getting some very odd behaviour when recording in arrangement view. Have instances at the end of a four bar loop where - for no clear reason - the CPU will suddenly bump to several thousand % and glitch out before returning to normal? Anybody else getting this?
Snap. It has been a horror show for the past 2 weeks. At 1st I couldn't even download Live 11. I literally had to call a tech support line (not Abelton obviously) to find a file which Ableton had bizarrely omitted from their upgrade files. Then the crashes started. It has got so bad that I am unable to open my Live 10 files at all & I am panicking as I had about 40 songs in production which I cannot access. I am even switching computers to get one that can handle Ableton (although previous setup was recommend by producers so it looks like 11 and the way it was coded is not efficient). Wish they would reply to give more support & give specific steps to get it to work.

I also posted a thread about this which you might want to check out to cross reference the solutions from forum members.

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 pm

I'm noticing this when I use the stop all clips button in Session view when running a number of deep sampled instruments.

I also notice this when I re-organize track order.

Lastly, I've noticed this happens when I click and drag something like an EQ over to one of the tracks.

Seems to be a number of different things causing it.

Strelokk

Post by Strelokk » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 am

moukoko wrote:
latest intel i9 10900x processor, 64 GB RAM etc, big GPU, 4k monitor.
Wow!
I've been using an i5 7400 with 16 Gig of RAM. Live 10 worked like a charm on that old fella. In Live 11 a single instance of Wavetable with a 4 voice chord brings up these spikes.

Today I got a new machine. i5 10400, 16 Gig, SSD. Nothing has changed.

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 pm

...god it's so strange. I wonder how much of it is a change in the way the monitoring works vs reality?

...but then I guess i truly did have a big drop out and crash the other day...

...weird - the people who seem to get best performance seem to be those who invest in fully formed power macs i'd say?

craigc

Post by craigc » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:48 pm

I've also noticed different behavior with CPU usage between live 10 and 11. I'm running on an older machine with 8GB of ram and a core I5 processor. The system is dedicated to Ableton. Spiking seems to occur when launching 11 initially and also when opening a new project. The CPU idles at 10% just after launching. If I start playing a clip it jumps close to 20%--these are not that heavy projects with tons of tracks or effects. They ran in 10 at about 8%.

There is definitely a difference in CPU utilization between live 10 & 11. I thought it would simply be solved by getting an upgraded system but after looking at other posts I don't think that will solve anything at this point.

sdamian

Post by sdamian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm

moukoko wrote:
Hi there.

I have a similar issue. that is happening less for me than before.
I turned off bluetooth, wlan. also put my pc on high performance, I unstalled my antivirus (McAffee) I use now the windows defender. I updated to last bios, upgraded all my drivers.
I upgraded my external from a native instrumen MKI to a focusrite 4i4 3rd gen. I thought a MBP would solve this; but by reading on the forum it will not (thanks internet...)
but I still get Cpu spike of 1000% plus around 10-25minutes. It is really annoying since I use it for live performance.

computer:
DELL inspiron 7570 i7 8th gen 1.8ghz base
docking station D3100
16gb ram, 1tb SSD

I can't remember having this issue in live 10.

Anyway I have sent a log report to ableton support a week ago. I am crossing my fingers that they fix to the new version, if they have find anything.

I would really appreciate any help.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 pm

Any news on this,
keep having peeks and pops every time my marker goes over a locator, for some reason.
Can't wrap my head around it.

jamesway

Post by jamesway » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:55 am

I also have noticed severe lag when turning on filters, and sometimes they do not turn on at all requiring me to copy sampler, delete and paste it back.

Pretty much doing anything introduced a severe lag making music making a chore now.

Also cc messages from my yamaha vdrums now cause huge spikes, i had to literally make a plugin in max to filter out cc's entirely.

Sorry Ableton but dis not good so far.

Londus

Post by Londus » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:27 pm

Hipip;

French user here, excuse my english.

Same issue with fresh I7 12700K, 32Go Kingston dual channel, 500Go SSD on an ASUS Prime B66O D4 plus.

I have spikes on CPU even if only one track is loaded with no device on it, playing nothing.
It's like a, non regular, cycle.

Nothing special on the windows performances monitor.

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:09 pm

Same Issue here, freaking i9-13900HX, RTX 4050, Babyface Asio,
no matter if 96kHz or anything else or any latency is dialed:
little spikies and dropouts here and then. No good. :(
I99900K WIn10
Win11 and Tuxedo Gemini 2
RME Babyface & UFX I
..some additional Synth hardware :)

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:52 pm

Update:

I remembered that I used to conigure processor scheduling for backround processes
back in the days as adviced by Ableton also.

Did it (and a bit more) following this guide: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processo ... indows-7-8

Looks a bit horrible but the spikes are _gone_ for now.
I99900K WIn10
RME Babyface & UFX I

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:18 pm

I am sry, that was a bit too optimistic, the smaller dropouts are still there,
but CPU load dropped for about 3 percent by the measures taken so far.

The dropouts occur at a cpu load of just around 18-20 percent and are really short.
I guess it is not caused by Ableton Live but system config anyhow.
I99900K WIn10
RME Babyface & UFX I

[nil]

Post by [nil] » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:26 pm

I am sry, that was a bit too optimistic, the smaller dropouts are still there,
but CPU load dropped for about 3 percent by the measures taken so far.
On the CPU meter, if you toggle "Warn on CPU overload" the indicator next to it will light up when Live has noticed a dropout. Is it toggled? Do you see it light up?

If it does you can check the CPU meter's "current" indicator to see if moves quite a lot from the average.