Live 11 Sudden CPU Spikes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moukoko

Live 11 Sudden CPU Spikes

Post by moukoko » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi there.

Running Ableton on big custom built rig - latest intel i9 10900x processor, 64 GB RAM etc, big GPU, 4k monitor.

Getting some very odd behaviour when recording in arrangement view. Have instances at the end of a four bar loop where - for no clear reason - the CPU will suddenly bump to several thousand % and glitch out before returning to normal? Anybody else getting this?

moukoko

Re: Live 11 Sudden CPU Spikes

Post by moukoko » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 pm

...interestingly, when i look at task manager my CPU is actually nowhere near even 10%-15% usage when this happens.

have since been playing around, and de-activated hi-dpi and seemed to get better...? all very weird. Any thoughts?

properLofi

Post by properLofi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:15 pm

I’ve read a few things where people have had issues with hi-res displays despite having sufficient GPU to cover the load.

That sort of matches with you saying turning off hi-dpi stops it. I’d suggest a support request :)

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:52 am

Thanks will keep going and send a support req.

Are ableton aware of the issues with high res displays? Feels like it’s been around for a while now as an issue...

Acachia K Seam

Post by Acachia K Seam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Hi I'm also experiencing this, and it seems to be happening in Ableton 10 too now - unable to work on anything currently as it renders the editor unusable!

I have a similar rig to what you described - i9, 2080ti, 64gig RAM, SSD, 4k screen.

Please do post if you manage to find solution!

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 pm

...acachia - have you tried the high DPI removal? does it make it any better? This is all v frustrating when you spend a small fortune in search of better performance!

Acachia K Seam

Post by Acachia K Seam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:10 pm

Did in fact disable DPI but now think this is not the problem...have realised my issue is actually being caused by the midi trying to initialize itself constantly. The intermittent freezing I'm getting seems to be happening whenever the midi tries to reconnect.
Have a project deadline coming up so fingers crossed Ableton support can help me out! :cry:

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:12 pm

...whenever the midi tries to reconnect? what do you mean?

Acachia K Seam

Post by Acachia K Seam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:39 pm

Live is constantly trying to initialize midi, as it would usually when it boots up. Like it's trying to re-connect to or search for any midi devices. However I have unplugged all devices - re-installed vanilla Ableton. Still does the same thing, very weird.

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:33 am

Forgive me but how do you know this? Sorry.

properLofi

Post by properLofi » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Have you disabled USB power management? This stops the computer from dropping power to devices and disconnecting them accidentally.

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi - have tried the USB power management think.

Let’s see how that plays out...

Thanks

MarzT

Post by MarzT » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:40 pm

me too - updated waves - had a heckuva time - ouch... it's like the cpu is hogging. ableton doesn't even show up in taskmanager as an app that's running. submitted a few crash reports... restarted 'puter... on PC turned off vpn i dunno. something's up... was better last week... argh

I restarted the puter and now Waves telling me "updates available" - yeah, something "not talking right to something" in the "somewhere" LOL

*edit ok i didn't post... i *waited* *

ok, restarting the computer really seemed to help - the graphics are responding better - I think the plugins on the backend e.g waves not all synched or something and with my vpn on by default, because I have the "let ableton report on the backend" set to ON to help...

well much better now - my project is working more smoothly... no crashes...

golemus

Post by golemus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:36 am

moukoko wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm
Getting some very odd behaviour when recording in arrangement view. Have instances at the end of a four bar loop where - for no clear reason - the CPU will suddenly bump to several thousand % and glitch out before returning to normal? Anybody else getting this?
I had this same behavior with Live10 on my laptop. For me the reason seemed to be CPU(or GPU) throttling. The CPU percentage increases to huge numbers because CPU clock frequency drops to very low values (0.2-0.4Ghz). If CPU throttling is cause it is easy to confirm from task manager or with Core Temp app which shows you CPU frequency real time.

For me solution was underclocking (95% CPU from Windows Power Management) but you have a powerful system so I don't know if this would solve anything. Maybe your system uses actually Intel GPU instead of the external one? If Intel GPU throttles it will also cause CPU throttling because they are on the same chip.

And of course be sure that you have all latest drivers and if not take a backup before updating them.

moukoko

Post by moukoko » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:57 pm

...is there a way of insisting that ableton takes the NVIDIA GPU rather than the intel one? I am worried about this too...