Major Problems With Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonljacobi

Re: Major Problems With Live 11

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 pm

Just chiming in with some perhaps pertinent info. 11 has been just as efficient for me as 10 with one HUGE exception which was actually plug-in related. When I switched from Kontakt 6.2.1 to a higher version (can't remember which), things trotted along fine for a while, then all of a sudden--huge CPU numbers, audio drop-outs, etc. Basically unusable, even when I switched the plug-in off. Going back to 6.2.1 cured the whole deal.

I've heard tell of others having this issue with Kontakt, but it's not universal. I'd suspect something in the VST memory handling or general memory handling clashing as the issue was when large instruments were loaded. My projects are largely audio-heavy, but the one that game me fits was all virtual using a memory/FX-hungry piano (Sampler), a usually well-behaved drum kit (drum pad/lots of instances of Sampler), and Kontakt with a 400MB flute library.

papawise

Post by papawise » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:27 am
...Not sure how people make things so hard for themselves but I guess we are now a world of beings not doings.
You are obviously a genius that has the whole life sorted.
Besides that impressive power, we, the mortal humans are many having issues with Live 11 as you can see. Forgive us please and thanks for your valuable help.

blrjohn01

Post by blrjohn01 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:39 pm

I've had Ableton 11 for about a week and see where it can get to be a challenge. It is definitely still in "out of the box" development. I think if you are gentile with it then there should be no issue. With time the performance issues will go away. The AI component is a big step these days and in order for 11 to be more efficient the foundation has to be implemented. That will take some time, but in the end it will be able to support so many new features.

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 am

luckykat wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:46 pm
BloodPremonitions wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 am
I have to say that I have had a fairly horrific time changing over to 11. I pre-ordered and have been wrestling with it since the release, I had issues with the plugin scans/library and still am today. Particularly with AU plugins, which it no longer seems to read at all when I boot a session it disables the plugins, and they are not able to be re-activated. Even if I open that same plugin again and it works. Sessions crashing and also a new problem with the interface that I have not seen anyone here writing about... I've encountered an issue where plugin interfaces, clip view, midi view, etc randomly close.

CPU usage is fine for me, I would even say improved (when I have actually been able to mix), but the interface issue has rendered this program completely unusable for me.
Have had same issues as you in particular with izotope plugins. Basically every single project uses about 50 of their plugins so I have to go in & manually delete , re-upload & then re-edit every single instance. Thanks Ableton! Oh, and this happens with every other external plugin. Good news re: CPU though
Sounds like thats a problem on the plugins side no?
11 is fairly new. I know some of my plugins crash Live 11 still, but thats on the plugin devs, not the DAW.

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 pm
Just chiming in with some perhaps pertinent info. 11 has been just as efficient for me as 10 with one HUGE exception which was actually plug-in related. When I switched from Kontakt 6.2.1 to a higher version (can't remember which), things trotted along fine for a while, then all of a sudden--huge CPU numbers, audio drop-outs, etc. Basically unusable, even when I switched the plug-in off. Going back to 6.2.1 cured the whole deal.

I've heard tell of others having this issue with Kontakt, but it's not universal. I'd suspect something in the VST memory handling or general memory handling clashing as the issue was when large instruments were loaded. My projects are largely audio-heavy, but the one that game me fits was all virtual using a memory/FX-hungry piano (Sampler), a usually well-behaved drum kit (drum pad/lots of instances of Sampler), and Kontakt with a 400MB flute library.
I had recently huge CPU issues only with some specific sets and under specific circonstances (with Live 11, but as you will see it was not Live 11 related).
After a lot of testing (and sweating) I found that the last NI updates (from february 2021) had a huge issue with the "Usage Data Tracking" option : if the option was enabled, and when the laptop was offline (like it always is when using on stage for exemple) the NI plugin was triggering a process called mDNSResponder that entered a feedback loop and put my CPU on its knees. No issue if the latpop is connected to internet.
I don't know about Kontakt because I turned this option off long time ago (and I'm still using Kontakt 5), but it was turned on on Massive and Absynth, and each instance of these plugins were triggering a feedback loop of mDNSResponder while offline.
As soon as I turned off the "Usage data Tracking" option, no more issues...

After some exchanges with the support, it seems that NI staff is aware of the issue and will fix it. But so far, it's been a lot of months without any update...

todde.t.

Post by todde.t. » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:41 am

OMG to the OP I am having the same exact issues first on my PC install where I have 32G of Ram and a I7 and now on my Mac mini which has 64G ram and a 6core Intel. It is not the computer I can promise you that. I came from Logic and im starting to wonder if I need to go back.

On my PC I did delete preferences and that other stuff and it worked instantly, for how long I have no idea. The reason I did it on my PC is because I didn't have that many set as I just started using it. For my Mac its been longer and dang, why should we have to delete our settings and what not for it to run smoothly?

ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

There is one thing I hate more than anything is when a developer or anyone who is selling you something blames issues with what they are selling on your equipment, or something you are doing wrong.......

and @blrjohn01 If I have to be gentle with something I am using to make bangers with, then its not for me or anyone else in the industry. Thats like saying "if you're gentle with a hammer". Kinda doesn't make much sense, but sometimes neither do I so no judgement but that really threw me off my chair laughing so thank you......
ToddE.T. Novist/Student
Cert Data RecExpert (https://www.sertdatarecovery.com)
Live11/LogicX/FL/Reason/Masch2 DAWs
MacMini 6Core/64G/SSD
Push2/GrmthrMoog/Rol MC-808/Masch 3/ApolTwinX/Oxy49Pro

Pi-Qui

Post by Pi-Qui » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi guys, after security update 10.15.7 Catalina on my MacBook Pro 2012 16Gb RAM en two speedy SSD's Ableton keeps crashing all the time.
Support from Ableton sucks, they do not really help. And it takes ages before they react. I have bought the Live Suites retail number 10 and 11 and use them as a professional musician. The problem hasnt been solved after 4 months, I think the programmers must be morons at Ableton. I want my money back or I want reaL help.
ANYONE INTERESTED IN STARTING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST ABLETON?
Let me know. I already contacted a lawyer.

With regards Pi-Qui

Paul_A2412

Post by Paul_A2412 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 am

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 am
Paul_A2412 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 pm
Im having problems as well. Workstation uses a 2080Ti, 32cores AMD 2990wx, 64GB ram and all M2 drives. Live 11 performance is terrible even after format and reinstall win10. Takes forever to load a 22channel light project. Once i start playing a loop that has a recorded audio sample it will loop endlessly, sometimes i can stop it others it will continue until i end the abletone task. When i croo the audio sample the cursor won't release. Sometimes the software stops responding all together. It is impossible to finish a project or downgrade as files are not backwards compatible. Im using the 90days trial but won't ever pay a company for it with this amount of bugs considering that live 10 worked flawlessly. Most of my plugins are waves licensed and worked perfectly in live 10. Ableton has to fix this poor release as it cannot be used in a popfessional environment. Like i cant even imagine playing a loop for a customer and trying to justify why the loop plays forever and i cant stop it. If i've seen it in the first 3h using it how they could release this garbage? What a joke.
Less moaning and more actual details would be better, especially when trying to pick through a solid brick of badly formatted text :roll:

Define your rants please:
- Live 11 performance is terrible = How? For those of us that have perfectly fine performance how can we compare?
- Takes forever to load a 22channel light project. = So takes 22 billion years or 30 seconds? What do you consider "light"?
- as it cannot be used in a popfessional environment = Loads of people use it in a popfessional environment, however these people are actual pop fessionals
- why the loop plays forever and i cant stop it. = What loop... in arrangement, a clip, using looper... ugh, what do you actually mean.

Also, what (if any) audio interface do you have and what are your settings.

Just go back to L10 if it works.
Take your pills son and stop writting useless replies on the web, nobody needs your trash opinions. Moan, define rants, go back to live 10? Wtf you're on about you clown? I would give you something to moan about quickly.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 am

Paul_A2412 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 am

Take your pills son and stop writting useless replies on the web, nobody needs your trash opinions. Moan, define rants, go back to live 10? Wtf you're on about you clown? I would give you something to moan about quickly.
Yet you still fail to give us any info to try and help. You just continue with your rambling pointless ranting.
Maybe try calming down and think about your own behaviour and attitude before posting again, or maybe your just another little boy keyboard warrior.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:16 pm

Lets stop with the insults and threats please, we don’t tolerate that here.
Ableton Forum Administrator