Major Problems With Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mark Williams

Re: Major Problems With Live 11

Post by Mark Williams » Wed May 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Ableton already separates vst2 and vst3 in the plugin browser and are scanned separately too. I haven't come across any problem plugins yet.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Dandy Dust wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 am
Would be great if Ableton Live 11 asked me - for example - which version (vst 2 or vst3) should be used.
Well, YOU can tell Live to do so... just go to the plugins' Preferences tab.
Ableton Forum Moderator

BloodPremonitions

Post by BloodPremonitions » Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 am

I have to say that I have had a fairly horrific time changing over to 11. I pre-ordered and have been wrestling with it since the release, I had issues with the plugin scans/library and still am today. Particularly with AU plugins, which it no longer seems to read at all when I boot a session it disables the plugins, and they are not able to be re-activated. Even if I open that same plugin again and it works. Sessions crashing and also a new problem with the interface that I have not seen anyone here writing about... I've encountered an issue where plugin interfaces, clip view, midi view, etc randomly close.

CPU usage is fine for me, I would even say improved (when I have actually been able to mix), but the interface issue has rendered this program completely unusable for me.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 am

BloodPremonitions wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 am
I have to say that I have had a fairly horrific time changing over to 11. I pre-ordered and have been wrestling with it since the release, I had issues with the plugin scans/library and still am today. Particularly with AU plugins, which it no longer seems to read at all when I boot a session it disables the plugins, and they are not able to be re-activated. Even if I open that same plugin again and it works. Sessions crashing and also a new problem with the interface that I have not seen anyone here writing about... I've encountered an issue where plugin interfaces, clip view, midi view, etc randomly close.

CPU usage is fine for me, I would even say improved (when I have actually been able to mix), but the interface issue has rendered this program completely unusable for me.
Did you send detailed info about this to support@ableton.com ?
Ableton Forum Moderator

bkg2018

Post by bkg2018 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi all,

I have made exhaustive testing and the conclusion is that Live 11 definetely has a performance issue compared to Live 10, not on macOS but on Windows 10.

I won't make a duplicate so you'll find details are in my posts on the other topic here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242943 .

I'm a great fan of Ableton Live since 2006 (version 6 !), and being a computer programmer since about 40 years I tend to study performances in a rather objective and scientific way. The tests I made show a significant difference in performance. But they also show that even a high-end MacBook Pro from 2017 is not at ease with Ableton Live, being 10 or 11. MacOS recent releases eat more and more CPU which is not available for applications anymore.

However I experienced no crash at all, so my guess is that peoples experiencing crashes have issues with third party drivers on Windows 10 rather than with Ableton Live itself.

In case of crash, you should go to the reliability report of Windows (ask cortana or the search input for 'reliability') and check what has crashed, then go to support of the related hardware company.

Just my 2 cents!

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat May 15, 2021 6:14 pm

The claim its third party drivers to blame for crashes is a stab in dark, thats more likely down to out an dated plugin/M4L device.

Live 11 runs fine here on my Ryzen rig. The only blip is if I change a preset on a VST, which I would expect to a degree.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi,

After I disabled all 3rd party plugins and re-enabled them, forcing Live to do the full re-scan of all my plugins (takes a while), it's a lot more stable now.

FWIW

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon May 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Dandy Dust wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm
On my wish-list: Ableton Live should have some kind of VST - Interface that structures the scan.

Most incredible: Live 11 produces a new folder called VST3, and suck in there, what ever (also) has a VST 3 version installed... 8O :?

But many of the VST - plugin depend on their own folder structure... that means they start malfunctioning "looking" for their installation paths and

withdrawing from functioning and authorization... reinstalling them sometimes adds to the mess, since some older installation locations might be involved... (i got several hard disks! because I try to keep the access to .wav - files quick)...

well this is my impression: The update from Live 10 to Live 11 totally confused my more complex VST plugins and no update of Live 11 will ever be able to resolve what has happened through that.
Agreed. Ableton could drastically simplify things but they continue to keep it unnecessarily complex and confusing and then offer no support. Did you see this that I wrote about the whole experience? https://medium.com/the-electronic-music ... 4aa6238b07

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon May 24, 2021 10:41 pm

oratowsky wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm
this is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every plugin I own.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

What am I supposed to do ?

Anyone have any tips ?
Yes. Firstly, check this out - I wrote it after all of the tech issues I experienced on Ableton 10 and 11: https://medium.com/the-electronic-music ... 4aa6238b07

Secondly, that's a BS line from Ableton. They partner with tons of companies so saying "they don't do 3rd party plugins" is like saying "they don't do Macs". They just need people who give a shit about their customers and the producer community.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon May 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:12 pm
Ableton already separates vst2 and vst3 in the plugin browser and are scanned separately too. I haven't come across any problem plugins yet.
Do you know why they install both and not just one?

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 pm

BloodPremonitions wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 am

Ditto amigo. I wrote this about the nightmare: https://medium.com/the-electronic-music ... 4aa6238b07
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I have to say changing from laptop to PC with 32GB of RAM and using an SSD external hard drive has helped massively.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon May 24, 2021 10:46 pm

bkg2018 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:11 pm
Hi all,

I have made exhaustive testing and the conclusion is that Live 11 definetely has a performance issue compared to Live 10, not on macOS but on Windows 10.

I won't make a duplicate so you'll find details are in my posts on the other topic here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242943 .

I'm a great fan of Ableton Live since 2006 (version 6 !), and being a computer programmer since about 40 years I tend to study performances in a rather objective and scientific way. The tests I made show a significant difference in performance. But they also show that even a high-end MacBook Pro from 2017 is not at ease with Ableton Live, being 10 or 11. MacOS recent releases eat more and more CPU which is not available for applications anymore.

However I experienced no crash at all, so my guess is that peoples experiencing crashes have issues with third party drivers on Windows 10 rather than with Ableton Live itself.

In case of crash, you should go to the reliability report of Windows (ask cortana or the search input for 'reliability') and check what has crashed, then go to support of the related hardware company.

Just my 2 cents!
I found switching from a laptop to a PC tower has helped. I chronicled it all here: https://medium.com/the-electronic-music ... 4aa6238b07

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon May 24, 2021 10:48 pm

oratowsky wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 pm
Hi,

After I disabled all 3rd party plugins and re-enabled them, forcing Live to do the full re-scan of all my plugins (takes a while), it's a lot more stable now.

FWIW
The challenge with that is that when you open projects that use 3rd party plugins (it could be very high depending on project), you have disabled plugins that don't re-enable when they work. So you have to manually delete & drag in that plugin. Or is there a shortcut?

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Tue May 25, 2021 2:47 am

luckykat wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:48 pm
oratowsky wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 pm
Hi,

FWIW
The challenge with that is that when you open projects that use 3rd party plugins (it could be very high depending on project), you have disabled plugins that don't re-enable when they work. So you have to manually delete & drag in that plugin. Or is there a shortcut?
No, I'm saying that I disabled and then RE-enabled them, forcing Live to re-scan.

Also, please stop spamming your website.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Tue May 25, 2021 3:09 am

Yes, a bit much reposting the same website link over and over in one thread. We get the point, thanks.
Ableton Forum Administrator