Major Problems With Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Major Problems With Live 11

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:07 pm

Nothing wrong with the CPU meter, you just need to know what it's doing, and the changes in the L11 one.
Ableton Forum Moderator

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:33 pm

My computer struggled after the initial install but I waited a bit to let Live do indexing etc. before coming to any resolution on its performance. Now it ‘mostly’ runs great.

It seems the biggest trend across OSes is sample-heavy instruments being disruptive. People have been mentioning issues with drum rack 128s. Personally, I seem to have issues with the Spitfire MPE packs (especially having it get ‘stuck’ when I try to close them either removing an instance or closing Live). Maybe some kind of memory leak, I dunno.

Sorry to hijack heh. Hoping an update is on the horizon to remedy threads like this. But I also hope people will be patient and observant rather than trying 20 different fixes.... at that point, you won’t even know if you’ve actually addressed the problem... or which task fixed it.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:54 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:07 pm
Nothing wrong with the CPU meter, you just need to know what it's doing, and the changes in the L11 one.
that’s fair, but it doesn’t really explain why 4 tracks with a couple of effects on each might take ~35% of CPU to calculate a sample in Ableton, yet adding another 10 tracks, each with a similar number/type of effects may only add another 5% to that load.

it may be “working as designed”, but that’s not always synonymous with working as an average person would expect (a distinction I encounter regularly in my day job). an average person would presumably weight the first 1% of processing power used the same as the last 1%, and it doesn’t seem like that’s what Ableton is telling us.

but like I said, it’s working fine for me, performance-wise, even if I can’t make much sense of the performance metering, so as long as that’s the case, it’s good enough to keep me happy. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:57 pm

slow.robot wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:54 pm
[jur] wrote:
that’s fair, but it doesn’t really explain why 4 tracks with a couple of effects on each might take ~35% of CPU to calculate a sample in Ableton, yet adding another 10 tracks, each with a similar number/type of effects may only add another 5% to that load.
It does, actually :wink:
hint: 1 track = 1 CPU core
so... :idea:
Ableton Forum Moderator

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:51 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:15 pm
luckykat wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Ha. No pressure there mate :wink: How is Omnisphere out of interest? How does it compare to Serum? I'm looking for a vst for big bass sounds. Any suggestions?
Try Xhun Audio Little One, its fab, and a hidden treasure.
https://www.xhun-audio.com/site/xhun.php?page=littleone
Thanks Mark. Will give it a look. Appreciate you.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:58 pm

papawise wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 pm
guys, excuse me but I wouldn't like to hijack this thread because it's something that should be fixed ASAP!

Ableton isn't giving any reasons nor updating info/schedule for people paying a fortune for the new version isn't getting real answers about the OVERLOAD UNUSABLE WEIRD STUFF going on!

Let's move this thread and make it serious for them to pay attention.
Agreed. I have lost weeks of production time trying to make Live 11 usable. I have had to teach myself under the good tech intricacies, invested in a desktop because my expensive laptop wasn't powerful enough & had very little explanation for this from Ableton. If it was a free product like Vital, fair enough. But with the high price, there needs to be support. Mat Zo even said on twitter that Ableton's code is awful causing these issues. I had issues with Serum (it was probably Ableton) but what I like is that Steve Duda replies quick. Why? Because he gives a shit about a product he created & wants it to enable you as a producer.
Feel free to escalate this thread to get their attention (not sure how to do this).

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 pm

slow.robot wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:54 pm
as someone new to Live, I have found it weird that it says I’m using so much processing power, HOWEVER, I’ve had almost no issues actually running anything (i7, 32 GB RAM from a few years ago). I transferred an all-audio project from Reason, with ~22 tracks and a bunch of effects on most, automation, yadda yadda, and it still plays back fine with the buffer at 128.

the weird thing for me is that the CPU load indicator seems to jump up to 20, 30, even 40% with only a couple of tracks and some processing—but even with the project above, I haven’t yet gotten it past the 50% mark. it ramps up quickly, but at a certain point, adding new instruments and effects stops hitting the CPU as hard (or at least that’s what Ableton is telling me). I notice that sometimes the CPU and/or disk overload indicators have gone off, yet I haven’t experienced any actual dropouts. I wonder if there might be something wrong with the load indicators.

the one performance-related thing that concerns me (and has me scratching my head) is that “Places” thing where it just looks like it’s constantly trying to find stuff. sometimes it goes away, and I think it’s all good, but then later I look, and it’s there again.
I'm upgrading to a similar config to you so finger crossed this works out better than current (recommend by producers). I have read a lot of pros like Mat Zo say how badly Ableton is coded which could explain the incompatibility with very popular VSTs & frequent crashes. I also encounter the 'Places' loading thing. Weird & inexplicable.

Andrew Hill

Post by Andrew Hill » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:48 am

There's an issue with Live 11 reading the VST3 system folder.

I keep doing alt scan (win10) and it either misses the Reason Rack Plugin or the Waves H comp compressor. Have tried deleting the preferences file and the plugin txt, but it will only read one or the other after a fresh scan.

Think this is why the first track I made in Live 11 would lead to a crash and would not load and ive ended up deleting it. Aside from this Ive had no problems but I use the RRP a lot so this is an issue for me.

Want to avoid reinstalling Waves but considering re-installing Ableton then Reason, not sure what else to do

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:30 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:57 pm
slow.robot wrote:
[jur] wrote:
interesting—good to know. still not very intuitive, but good to know.

hint (for anyone involved in writing Ableton’s manuals): if hints are needed to explain something that’s in the documentation, then the documentation could be more clear. :wink: :lol:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:17 pm

slow.robot wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:30 pm
[jur] wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:57 pm
slow.robot wrote:

interesting—good to know. still not very intuitive, but good to know.

hint (for anyone involved in writing Ableton’s manuals): if hints are needed to explain something that’s in the documentation, then the documentation could be more clear. :wink: :lol:
:wink: fair enough!
There's actually quite a few articles in the KB and in the manual about Live's CPU handling/metering/calculation, so I might not have linked the best ones.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm

To everyone:
we're reading btw, and I may say that I'm not feeling good to see those of you who are experiencing this problems with L11 :|
You need to write to support@ableton.com if it's not done yet.
I know, I know, support is very slow recently and that's frustrating, but that's the only way to proceed atm.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Andrew Hill

Post by Andrew Hill » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Andrew Hill wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:48 am
There's an issue with Live 11 reading the VST3 system folder.

I keep doing alt scan (win10) and it either misses the Reason Rack Plugin or the Waves H comp compressor. Have tried deleting the preferences file and the plugin txt, but it will only read one or the other after a fresh scan.

Think this is why the first track I made in Live 11 would lead to a crash and would not load and ive ended up deleting it. Aside from this Ive had no problems but I use the RRP a lot so this is an issue for me.

Want to avoid reinstalling Waves but considering re-installing Ableton then Reason, not sure what else to do
This is fixed for me after doing Waves v12 updates (I also reinstalled Ableton exe and Reason Suite but Im thinking the waves update did it. I dont even use the v12 plugins its a couple of freebies).

reconrose

Post by reconrose » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:51 pm

While I appreciate your responses [jur], I don't think they adequately explain why CPU usage seems significantly increased in 11 for some users compared to 10. Even changes in metering shouldn't cause audio dropouts etc for users with rigs that should be able handle even more than what 11 is throwing at it.

I would be able to run about 20 tracks at once (didn't try more) in 10 with 4-7 stock and VST plugins running on each just fine. I had a project with around 5-6 tracks with the same amount of processing in 11 give audio dropouts because of the CPU overload error.

There could certainly be something wrong with my setup, I'm just not sure why that would only have an effect for 11 if that's the case and there's no CPU usage issues with 11.

I would just go back to 10 and wait for the updates but the comping addition is too useful for me to give on it. I contacted support but thought I'd bump this thread as this is an essential matter and I hope the Ableton team is looking into this further.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:25 am

reconrose wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:51 pm
Even changes in metering shouldn't cause audio dropouts etc for users with rigs that should be able handle even more than what 11 is throwing at it.
Sure, that's different things, but it's still worth mentioning the updated metering.

You need to get analytic and should first compare L10 vs L11 with the same set and settings (audio pref etc..), and this set should use only native Live devices before doing any comparison involving VSTs.
Ableton Forum Moderator

tjspurge

Post by tjspurge » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 am

I've also been having problems with the GUI being laggy or totally unresponsive in a set with many tracks of multisample instruments and LFOs. Eventually I have to force quit the project and reopen. I'm on windows 10. Just got the Live 11.0.1 update.

Live 11 is broken!! My CPU isn't maxing out, my RAM is 64gb, and GPU is fine. My laptop should definitely be able to handle this set, but I can only interact with it via an APC40mk2 once the transport is running.

I've submitted a support ticket.