Major Problems With Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Darko_Live

Re: Major Problems With Live 11

Post by Darko_Live » Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 pm

luckykat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:20 am
Darko_Live wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:03 am
Hi All,

Joining the discussion as I am having issues too with my setup and L11.

Recently reinstalled this laptop while having a M1 chip Mac in the Studio.
I ran L11 for the first time this weekend on the M1 with a heavy L10 session and it didn't crash but I'll run further tests.

Now on this laptop running Intel I had these issues.

-Impossible to install some plugins from NI suite (Live doesn't want them)
-Impossible to run some plugins when the session is running, some Native Instruments he did install, but also the Arturia.
Oddly enough when I try several times after having Ableton flash all red and crash some Plugins do open
-After installing some Native Instruments plugins they don't automatically appear in the VST section (like they always did since L6).

I must say there is actually nothing running in Ableton apart from the Arturia suite and only two plugins from NI.

As a side note I don't understand the access to Audio and Midi Effects now in section folders. Meaning clicking twice instead of one, not seeing them all at once (folders close when you open another one), not to mention having to get used to it. Changing things for a better yes, but changing just for changing ... Is there a reason why they did that ?

Last but not least I am looking for a way to reinstall Live10 on my laptop as I would like to run it while they fix all L11 issues. Can't find the installer on ableton.com

Darko.

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2 (20D80)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Thanks for your comment. I wrote this about the experience I had & some fixes I discovered: https://medium.com/the-electronic-music ... 4aa6238b07
I don't have any NI plugins or Arturia but can say that izotope plugins are very CPU intensive & caused a lot of crashes on my laptop before I switched to a tower.
Thank you @luckykat
Most of it resolved now, I think mainly the short period of new OS / new chips (also run a M1 Mac mini for tests) make the developers work more difficult. Native's don't work well in AU, better use the VST folders (they are all visible now), same for Arturia, although they say they don't support Big Sur / M1 it does work smoothly.
No more crashes either, haven't had one in a while. Things are looking good.

AdamGreen

Post by AdamGreen » Mon May 10, 2021 2:03 am

Darko

Last but not least I am looking for a way to reinstall Live10 on my laptop as I would like to run it while they fix all L11 issues. Can't find the installer on ableton.com

https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 am

AdamGreen wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:03 am
Darko

https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/
It should be in your account where you registered and downloaded L11 from. You need to select Live 10 from the drop-down menu to get the download button.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon May 10, 2021 1:12 pm

EDITED : Posted in the wrong thread sorry.
Cheers
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Dandy Dust

Post by Dandy Dust » Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm

On my wish-list: Ableton Live should have some kind of VST - Interface that structures the scan.

Most incredible: Live 11 produces a new folder called VST3, and suck in there, what ever (also) has a VST 3 version installed... 8O :?

But many of the VST - plugin depend on their own folder structure... that means they start malfunctioning "looking" for their installation paths and

withdrawing from functioning and authorization... reinstalling them sometimes adds to the mess, since some older installation locations might be involved... (i got several hard disks! because I try to keep the access to .wav - files quick)...

well this is my impression: The update from Live 10 to Live 11 totally confused my more complex VST plugins and no update of Live 11 will ever be able to resolve what has happened through that.
Search great DAW?
- BUY ABLETON LIVE 10 SUITE today!
It will be worth every cent. Dandy

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm

this is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every plugin I own.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

What am I supposed to do ?

Anyone have any tips ?

Dandy Dust

Post by Dandy Dust » Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 pm

oratowsky wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm
this is a mess.

I spend about half my workday every day cajoling it into loading projects by restarting and remaking live sets by dragging tracks one by one because it crashes all the time on every plugin I own.

Support tells me they can't do anything bc 3rd party plugins are causing the crashes.

Anyone have any tips ?
Of Course VSTs are crashing when Ableton changes their PATHS!!! - how? - if You had vst2 AND vst3 installed it just tragged the Vst into a new folder, this is just one example... who ever programmed this should be fired immedeately. Also abbondaning win7 was a crime against the vast community, because many peripherals only have win7 drivers, many synths and stuff dont work with win10. The quality of programming has left the know quality of this german product.
Search great DAW?

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Tue May 11, 2021 1:15 am

Dandy Dust wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 pm
oratowsky wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm
this is a mess.

Anyone have any tips ?
Of Course VSTs are crashing when Ableton changes their PATHS!!! - how? - if You had vst2 AND vst3 installed it just tragged the Vst into a new folder, this is just one example... who ever programmed this should be fired immedeately. Also abbondaning win7 was a crime against the vast community, because many peripherals only have win7 drivers, many synths and stuff dont work with win10. The quality of programming has left the know quality of this german product.
i'm on Mac, there's no change in vst location.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 am

Ableton does not change a VSTs installation path, that is something the user does.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 am

Dandy Dust wrote:

Ableton does not change a VSTs installation path, that is something the user does. Personally I have not found 1 synth or anything that does not work on Win 10.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Dandy Dust

Post by Dandy Dust » Tue May 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 am
Dandy Dust wrote:

Ableton does not change a VSTs installation path, that is something the user does. Personally I have not found 1 synth or anything that does not work on Win 10.
No, no synthesizers, but VSTs with subdirectories that have Vst2 Vst3 and AAs or what ever it is called allready installed, because they are dragged into this new VST3 folder. Conretely Captain plugins did not work, everything with sample -subdirectories, like sample tank and especially Dark Side and other stuff from EastWest. Because Ableton is not capeable of targetting those problems, name them or say where it is stuck - I just received error messages, blank windows and had to restart the whole computer over and over again, because Ableton does not go away as a background process even if "forced" so in the app - manager... Of course I had very many plugins installed on live 10 (on win7) ... dont blame windows 10 or my computer because EVERY OTHER PROGRAMM I RAN before on win7 and now on Win10 is fine EXEPT freaking Ableton Live 11.
Search great DAW?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue May 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Dandy Dust wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:31 pm

No, no synthesizers, but VSTs with subdirectories that have Vst2 Vst3 and AAs or what ever it is called allready installed, because they are dragged into this new VST3 folder. Conretely Captain plugins did not work, everything with sample -subdirectories, like sample tank and especially Dark Side and other stuff from EastWest. Because Ableton is not capeable of targetting those problems, name them or say where it is stuck - I just received error messages, blank windows and had to restart the whole computer over and over again, because Ableton does not go away as a background process even if "forced" so in the app - manager... Of course I had very many plugins installed on live 10 (on win7) ... dont blame windows 10 or my computer because EVERY OTHER PROGRAMM I RAN before on win7 and now on Win10 is fine EXEPT freaking Ableton Live 11.
Still does not change the FACT, that Ableton does NOT change any folder/installation of any VSTs. That is down to the user, that is the simple fact here. You chose where you install VSTs, Ableton does not, you just point Ableton to your vst folder, and same for VST3s, which should always be installed in a separate folder from VST2's. I have not found any plugins that do not work on Live 11/Win 10.

Dandy Dust

Post by Dandy Dust » Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 am

Wrong, it does.

If You have a Vst installed at Live10 that allready has a Vst3 version in it, it will me drawn to a different folder, named VST3.
Search great DAW?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 am

That's because vst2 and vst3 are different. They have to be separate or you will encounter problems. Ableton does not choose which folder to install plugins too that's down to user to choose.

Dandy Dust

Post by Dandy Dust » Wed May 12, 2021 11:32 am

Would be great if Ableton Live 11 asked me - for example - which version (vst 2 or vst3) should be used.

i would love to see an Interface that protokolls the scanning process and in addiction allows to leave some problematic vsts away.

People have many of them installed, that´s not so new, and they won´t become less in the future... even if all of Lives internal instruments are really
great...

I love Ableton Live and I´d love it´s latest version to work as smooth as its predecessors.
Search great DAW?