Major Problems With Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luckykat

Major Problems With Live 11

Post by luckykat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:10 am

Live 10 was challenging and would occasionally crash. It was not perfect which is why I thought 11 was launching.
Using exact same setup, Live 11 is murdering my computer (and making my hair gray fast!) and crashing repeatedly on launch. I have a few 3rd party plugins but these were recommended by some big producers. I deleted these but it seems to have got worse. There are some projects which I cannot launch at all (they crash every time I try to launch which is making me worry they could be unable to retrieve & work lost).

Setup:
HP Envy 360x (28GB free on the hard drive)
ASIO sound card
8GB RAM (6GB usable which is weird but after reading a lot of producer feedback said would be sufficient).

I read that putting sound library & projects on an external hard drive (just got a 2TB Samsung T5) makes Ableton lightning fast but this has not happened.
I have lost about 2 weeks of production trying to work this out, spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support to optimize my laptop, took forever to install Live 11 due to lack of info from Ableton+ weird error messages & got one delayed reply from Ableton saying it was laptop memory (now fixed) and maybe 3rd party plugins (now deleted). Their response times are long so looking for help from the community. Need to get this fixed asap so I can do what any producer should be able to with their DAW after investing a lot in Suite.

Can anyone help (crossing fingers & toes!) ? :|

cids

Re: Major Problems With Live 11

Post by cids » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Did you try to delete Ableton's prefs files?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... eset-Live-
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 pm

cids wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm
Did you try to delete Ableton's prefs files?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... eset-Live-
Thanks for the help. I went to the link & I managed to delete preferences.cfg but there was no Undo folder.
Launched Ableton & it opened. Then tried to open the project & it crashed and caused a crash on my browser window which was open. Had to restart the whole computer. This happens every time I try to open certain projects. I'm looking at switching my laptop which is a disaster because it is past the return period. 1 program is killing my entire computer which seems weird considering the power it has.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Probably better to just try starting from scratch with a fresh OS install and using only the latest versions of your programs and drivers. 9 times out of 10 this solves most people's problems.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

papawise

Post by papawise » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm

having the same experience.
I regret switching to Live 11.

In Ableton 10.1 I could load at least 100 channels fully filled with plugins on a Windos 10 + Intel i7 8700 6core + SSD's machine.

I get the ovearload indicator going crazy, muting behavior, glitches, crashes...
all the time, even increasing the buffer size and decreasing the Sample rate. I'm frustrated..

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:41 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Probably better to just try starting from scratch with a fresh OS install and using only the latest versions of your programs and drivers. 9 times out of 10 this solves most people's problems.
Thanks for the idea. I tried fresh install with latest versions of programs & drivers & same problems on Live 11. 10 seems to much more stable. I'm going to invest in a desktop as I heard this is more robust for music production. That said the setup I described was recommended by a few producers when I got it. I can't prove this because I am not an Ableton engineers but I think they didn't do the beta test on Live 11 for long enough & launched massively problematic software. If this was a San Francisco startup, they would be out of business by now due to user migration.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:46 pm

papawise wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm
having the same experience.
I regret switching to Live 11.

In Ableton 10.1 I could load at least 100 channels fully filled with plugins on a Windos 10 + Intel i7 8700 6core + SSD's machine.

I get the ovearload indicator going crazy, muting behavior, glitches, crashes...
all the time, even increasing the buffer size and decreasing the Sample rate. I'm frustrated..
Wow, it's not just me. Snap! May I ask what you are running it on (OS, computer, RAM etc)? Everything was fine (well almost, it still crashed occasionally) on Live 10. What is mega concerning is that the only email reply I got from Ableton said I had a 12GB RAM surge on 1 project. I repeat, 12GB RAM on ONE project. This seems way too high as most computers would come with 8GB RAM many with 4GB.
Re: Muting behavior, glitches, crashes.... me too!!!!
Have you managed to get an explanation from Ableton. So frustrating paying $500 for Suite, getting a product that doesn't work, wasting about 2 weeks of production time & not getting any clarification/fixes from them. Very unimpressed.

But....trying to stay positive & work out these kinks. If deadmau5 uses Ableton, I will try to be persistent & make it work!

papawise

Post by papawise » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 am

Intel i7 8700 3.2 Ghz (not even using integrated Graphics!)
16 GB RAM Corsair LPX 3000Mhz (more than enough!)
WINDOWS 10
SSD NVMe Samsung EVO 960 for O.S. and SSD's for Ableton temporary and cache
Audio Interface RME RayDat with ADDA converter with 3ms latency

So I can't imagine a much better setup than that... but Ableton 11 still fails. It's a PC hog.

So tell to Ableton support that they better put hands to work instead of blaming your RAM, because in Live 10.1, I could run more than 100 channels filled with Diva, Omnisphere, Trillian and many FX plugins like Fabfilter's, Wave's and Altiverb with many instances mixed with Ableton Live stock plugins, without any glitch.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 am

papawise wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 am
in Live 10.1, I could run more than 100 channels filled with Diva, Omnisphere, Trillian and many FX plugins like Fabfilter's, Wave's and Altiverb with many instances mixed with Ableton Live stock plugins, without any glitch.
Video proof or it didn't happen :)

100 tracks of Omnisphere, i'd really like to see what that looks like and why that is needed outside emulating the symphony orchestra.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 pm

papawise wrote:
Intel i7 8700 3.2 Ghz (not even using integrated Graphics!)
16 GB RAM Corsair LPX 3000Mhz (more than enough!)
WINDOWS 10
SSD NVMe Samsung EVO 960 for O.S. and SSD's for Ableton temporary and cache
Audio Interface RME RayDat with ADDA converter with 3ms latency

So I can't imagine a much better setup than that... but Ableton 11 still fails. It's a PC hog.

So tell to Ableton support that they better put hands to work instead of blaming your RAM, because in Live 10.1, I could run more than 100 channels filled with Diva, Omnisphere, Trillian and many FX plugins like Fabfilter's, Wave's and Altiverb with many instances mixed with Ableton Live stock plugins, without any glitch.
That's a nice setup & should totally be able to handle the workload. I got super lucky & despite being out of the grace period, managed to return the HP Envy 360x which just didn't seem to be handling Ableton 11. Switched to a Dell XPS 8940 (i7, 1 TB SSD & 32 GB RAM). If it doesn't work on this, I'm changing DAW!! One thing I've noticed is if you put your library & plugins on an external SSD hard drive, it is a little better. But nowhere near what market ready software should be.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 am
papawise wrote:
in Live 10.1, I could run more than 100 channels filled with Diva, Omnisphere, Trillian and many FX plugins like Fabfilter's, Wave's and Altiverb with many instances mixed with Ableton Live stock plugins, without any glitch.
Video proof or it didn't happen :)

100 tracks of Omnisphere, i'd really like to see what that looks like and why that is needed outside emulating the symphony orchestra.
Ha. No pressure there mate :wink: How is Omnisphere out of interest? How does it compare to Serum? I'm looking for a vst for big bass sounds. Any suggestions?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:15 pm

luckykat wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Ha. No pressure there mate :wink: How is Omnisphere out of interest? How does it compare to Serum? I'm looking for a vst for big bass sounds. Any suggestions?
Try Xhun Audio Little One, its fab, and a hidden treasure.
https://www.xhun-audio.com/site/xhun.php?page=littleone
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

papawise

Post by papawise » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 pm

guys, excuse me but I wouldn't like to hijack this thread because it's something that should be fixed ASAP!

Ableton isn't giving any reasons nor updating info/schedule for people paying a fortune for the new version isn't getting real answers about the OVERLOAD UNUSABLE WEIRD STUFF going on!

Let's move this thread and make it serious for them to pay attention.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:04 pm

My computer is from 2010, and L11 runs just as fine as L10, so you are experiencing something unintended, i.e L11 doesn't need more cpu than L10.
You need to contact support@ableton.com. I know, it can take long for them to respond theses days, but they will get back to you.

Any of you seeing this L11 issue have M4L devices in their sets?
Ableton Forum Moderator

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:54 pm

as someone new to Live, I have found it weird that it says I’m using so much processing power, HOWEVER, I’ve had almost no issues actually running anything (i7, 32 GB RAM from a few years ago). I transferred an all-audio project from Reason, with ~22 tracks and a bunch of effects on most, automation, yadda yadda, and it still plays back fine with the buffer at 128.

the weird thing for me is that the CPU load indicator seems to jump up to 20, 30, even 40% with only a couple of tracks and some processing—but even with the project above, I haven’t yet gotten it past the 50% mark. it ramps up quickly, but at a certain point, adding new instruments and effects stops hitting the CPU as hard (or at least that’s what Ableton is telling me). I notice that sometimes the CPU and/or disk overload indicators have gone off, yet I haven’t experienced any actual dropouts. I wonder if there might be something wrong with the load indicators.

the one performance-related thing that concerns me (and has me scratching my head) is that “Places” thing where it just looks like it’s constantly trying to find stuff. sometimes it goes away, and I think it’s all good, but then later I look, and it’s there again.