Major Problems With Live 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chrisjones73uk

Re: Major Problems With Live 11

Post by chrisjones73uk » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm

I am new to Ableton Live and dived in with Live 11 Suite edition. Im not using for professional use but have it linked up to a Jupiter XM and Nord Stage 3. I also have a Push 2 all going through a latest Mackie 10 channel USB mixer. On top of this I have Native Instruments Komplete. I find Ableton can work ok with VST tracks but if I look to play physical instruments and record, CPU goes through the roof very quickly and Ableton is unuseable. Im using an i7 Surface Book 2 with 16Gb RAM, plenty of free disk space.

I havent seen anyone else mention the link with physical instruments which I am surprised at. I am holding my breath for the new Apple Macbook Pro to drop today and i will look to purchase one purely for the home studio knowing I can dive out to Logic Pro if I have to. Very disappointed with Ableton Live experience to date based purely on the CPU max out issue. Although my laptop isnt the most powerful, I am not using any effects and also only around 5 / 6 tracks so I would expect Ableton to be able to handle this. From what I can surmise, it looks to me like an overload of midi info. I have tried to adjust aftertouch etc on the instruments but never any joy. The fact that after research, the CPU issue appears to be widespread and for such a long time makes me think a fix and better optimisation unfortunately isnt around the corner. I wish I had started with the base version now rather than dropping such a large amount of cash. My mistake.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:12 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, but I think the problem isn't with Live here but with your setup, which is probably a good news since it means that it can be fixed, hopefully :wink:
Even a very old computer from the 00' can handle midi coming from your external gear.
Can you detail a bit more what's your setup with your external synths? Are you using them as midi controllers/keyboards? Are you sending them midi from Live and record back their audio? Are you using the "External Instrument" device? etc...
What's your current buffer setting?
Ableton Forum Moderator

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:44 pm

chrisjones73uk wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm
I am new to Ableton Live and dived in with Live 11 Suite edition. Im not using for professional use but have it linked up to a Jupiter XM and Nord Stage 3. I also have a Push 2 all going through a latest Mackie 10 channel USB mixer. On top of this I have Native Instruments Komplete. I find Ableton can work ok with VST tracks but if I look to play physical instruments and record, CPU goes through the roof very quickly and Ableton is unuseable. Im using an i7 Surface Book 2 with 16Gb RAM, plenty of free disk space.

I havent seen anyone else mention the link with physical instruments which I am surprised at. I am holding my breath for the new Apple Macbook Pro to drop today and i will look to purchase one purely for the home studio knowing I can dive out to Logic Pro if I have to. Very disappointed with Ableton Live experience to date based purely on the CPU max out issue. Although my laptop isnt the most powerful, I am not using any effects and also only around 5 / 6 tracks so I would expect Ableton to be able to handle this. From what I can surmise, it looks to me like an overload of midi info. I have tried to adjust aftertouch etc on the instruments but never any joy. The fact that after research, the CPU issue appears to be widespread and for such a long time makes me think a fix and better optimisation unfortunately isnt around the corner. I wish I had started with the base version now rather than dropping such a large amount of cash. My mistake.
How is everything going with the new laptop? Agreed re: Live 11. Also massively disappointed with all of the bugs.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:46 pm

BloodPremonitions wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 am
I have to say that I have had a fairly horrific time changing over to 11. I pre-ordered and have been wrestling with it since the release, I had issues with the plugin scans/library and still am today. Particularly with AU plugins, which it no longer seems to read at all when I boot a session it disables the plugins, and they are not able to be re-activated. Even if I open that same plugin again and it works. Sessions crashing and also a new problem with the interface that I have not seen anyone here writing about... I've encountered an issue where plugin interfaces, clip view, midi view, etc randomly close.

CPU usage is fine for me, I would even say improved (when I have actually been able to mix), but the interface issue has rendered this program completely unusable for me.
Have had same issues as you in particular with izotope plugins. Basically every single project uses about 50 of their plugins so I have to go in & manually delete , re-upload & then re-edit every single instance. Thanks Ableton! Oh, and this happens with every other external plugin. Good news re: CPU though

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:48 pm

oratowsky wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 pm
Hi,

After I disabled all 3rd party plugins and re-enabled them, forcing Live to do the full re-scan of all my plugins (takes a while), it's a lot more stable now.

FWIW
How did you get them to re-scan & reload with the the settings you had input? Ableton didn't do this automatically when opening projects so I have manually had to delete & then re-edit every single external plugin. So much time wasted.

KiraCura

Post by KiraCura » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Ableton 10 was king for me. but Ableton 11? it's going bonkers and it just isn't cuttin' it.
-Problem: I'm getting that same High CPU indicator reading that everyone else is. and its causing audio pops every once in awhile when it decides to spike for absolutely no reason. (really its no reason. task manager says everythings fine.)
-Reasoning: See I have an extremely versatile Gaming Desktop that I myself custom built a little while back and its still very capable.
-Important Specs: GPU RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 Corsair dominator RAM, i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 core with 16 threads).
-Unimportant Specs: ROG rampage VI omega black edition motherboard, 13 mag lev fans, liquid cooling to CPU, and a 1000w corsair PSU.
Do I need to be any more specific than this? My rig should be able to handle Ableton with flying colors... AND IT DID BEFORE 11.
My PC can currently run the latest games on high-ultra settings with ease, can even work with 3D animation related stuff pretty well, and other heavier computing programs like ableton quite darn well.. until 11. The thing that baffles me too is.. I know I don't have the most efficient CPU for gaming actually... but it is much more efficient for things like Ableton. So I just do not understand why this update is just blatantly lying about CPU usage. Especially if compared to the task manager. (though i read this: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... o%20buffer. and... it just confused me more lol)
I have no doubt in my mind Ableton 11 is very unstable performance wise... that or something really isn't playing nice with it..
I have also been reading various other comments where people have pretty decent rigs and they too are struggling so much to get Ableton 11 to work with them.. I really hope the Devs do something about this.. I just can't imagine a life without Ableton as I love this program so much and I'm highly sure so many others do too.
Hopefully with enough people posting about issues like this.. the devs may notice and come up with a plan to put everyone's minds at ease.
(this is a repost from another forum to help Devs notice many people have same issue)

KiraCura

Post by KiraCura » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 pm

So I don't exactly know what fixed the psycho CPU usage (on Ableton 11 at least) for now.. but I'll list what I did.
Forced VST's to only rescan. (did not uninstall them cuz reinstalling too much work) [but Ableton still wasn't being nice at this point]
Updated GPU drivers to latest (nvidia)
Uninstalled Overwolf program (since it was just taking up stuff while idle N i didnt need it) {basically close out idle background programs}
Ran Razer Cortex program and used the Boost function (to clear up anything taking extra ram away (though I have 32GB and only free'd up like 2GB))
Razer Cortex auto closed Google Chrome (cuz I know it's also a resource guzzler) {although as I am typing this and ON chrome once again.. and running ableton alongside it.. no issues.. so I don't know if closing chrome matters.)
Set Priority to Realtime - under Details in task manager for ableton 11

and... voila... suddenly ... Ableton 11 is being nice again. No idea why but whatever. Hope this helps.
(also ive been monitoring my CPU usage via task manager under the Performance section. Here I can view all 16 of my logical processors (8 core but 16 threads) and see how they react to ableton 11. really it only looks like 'CPU 4' goes insane on one of my songs but the rest of the threads stay kinda chill. It just makes me wonder how Ableton distributes workload amongst the threads... not sure if anyone else is curious on this too. )

Paul_A2412

Post by Paul_A2412 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Im having problems as well. Workstation uses a 2080Ti, 32cores AMD 2990wx, 64GB ram and all M2 drives. Live 11 performance is terrible even after format and reinstall win10. Takes forever to load a 22channel light project. Once i start playing a loop that has a recorded audio sample it will loop endlessly, sometimes i can stop it others it will continue until i end the abletone task. When i croo the audio sample the cursor won't release. Sometimes the software stops responding all together. It is impossible to finish a project or downgrade as files are not backwards compatible. Im using the 90days trial but won't ever pay a company for it with this amount of bugs considering that live 10 worked flawlessly. Most of my plugins are waves licensed and worked perfectly in live 10. Ableton has to fix this poor release as it cannot be used in a popfessional environment. Like i cant even imagine playing a loop for a customer and trying to justify why the loop plays forever and i cant stop it. If i've seen it in the first 3h using it how they could release this garbage? What a joke.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 am

Paul_A2412 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 pm
Im having problems as well. Workstation uses a 2080Ti, 32cores AMD 2990wx, 64GB ram and all M2 drives. Live 11 performance is terrible even after format and reinstall win10. Takes forever to load a 22channel light project. Once i start playing a loop that has a recorded audio sample it will loop endlessly, sometimes i can stop it others it will continue until i end the abletone task. When i croo the audio sample the cursor won't release. Sometimes the software stops responding all together. It is impossible to finish a project or downgrade as files are not backwards compatible. Im using the 90days trial but won't ever pay a company for it with this amount of bugs considering that live 10 worked flawlessly. Most of my plugins are waves licensed and worked perfectly in live 10. Ableton has to fix this poor release as it cannot be used in a popfessional environment. Like i cant even imagine playing a loop for a customer and trying to justify why the loop plays forever and i cant stop it. If i've seen it in the first 3h using it how they could release this garbage? What a joke.
Less moaning and more actual details would be better, especially when trying to pick through a solid brick of badly formatted text :roll:

Define your rants please:
- Live 11 performance is terrible = How? For those of us that have perfectly fine performance how can we compare?
- Takes forever to load a 22channel light project. = So takes 22 billion years or 30 seconds? What do you consider "light"?
- as it cannot be used in a popfessional environment = Loads of people use it in a popfessional environment, however these people are actual pop fessionals
- why the loop plays forever and i cant stop it. = What loop... in arrangement, a clip, using looper... ugh, what do you actually mean.

Also, what (if any) audio interface do you have and what are your settings.

Just go back to L10 if it works.

.marc.

Post by .marc. » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:14 am

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 am
how?!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:27 am

.marc. wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:14 am
jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 am
how?!
Install live 10.... use it!

If your issue is that you decided to use Live 11, saved existing projects you made with L10 without first making a backup or forking your work to a new version, ignoring the warning that would have displayed that saving would cause your project to not open in L10 then that's a different problem but I still have L10 installed and can still use it if needed, I always just install a new version alongside since it is possible to do so.

Not sure how people make things so hard for themselves but I guess we are now a world of beings not doings.

.marc.

Post by .marc. » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:45 am

i decided to upgrade to 11... thats the only version i can download. not possible to choose 10 to download. maybe i'm to stupid, but cant find the download for 10 anymore...

mng70

Post by mng70 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:28 am

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:55 am

KiraCura wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 pm
Set Priority to Realtime - under Details in task manager for ableton 11
Bad advice!
Realtime priority is really dangerous. It's a higher priority than nearly everything else. It's higher priority than mouse input, keyboard input, and the disk cache. Windows could entirely freeze or crash.

Also, setting the priority from realtime does notchange the CPU usage. Giving a process a higher priority won’t make it go faster. Your programs will never use more CPU time than they need (or more than 100% obviously). It just means that if you have two processes that both want CPU time, the one with a higher priority will get it.

.marc.

Post by .marc. » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:55 am

mng70 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:28 am
https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/
oh perfect! thanks! never needed to use it before