Why is MPE not working for me/ Why cant I pitchbend midi?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
surgeanthem

Why is MPE not working for me/ Why cant I pitchbend midi?

Post by surgeanthem » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:11 am

Hi all!
I was super excited to find that perhaps there was a way to pitchbend midi in Live 11 (something I almost quit ableton because they didnt have it) but for some reason when I make automation lines for the transposition/pitch bend on MPE view, the note stays the same. Thank you for your help!

pottering

Re: Why is MPE not working for me/ Why cant I pitchbend midi?

Post by pottering » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:38 am

Not every Live instrument or VST/AU plugin is MPE-enabled. Also Live may not auto-detect a MPE plugin, you may need to right-click it an enable MPE manually.
♥♥♥

surgeanthem

Post by surgeanthem » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 pm

So you're saying that when I click on MPE view on the note grid, that entire section may not work because some VSTs aren't MPE compatible? How will I know which ones are compatible? I mean, so far, pitchbending by clicking on the note and making a line to where you want the note to go isn't working on Serum, Analog Lab V, or Vital. I have a feeling there is a button I am not pressing or enabling or something. Do you think that might be the case?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm

Some VSTs need MPE to be enabled look in their settings.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

josefreak

Post by josefreak » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:18 pm

surgeanthem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 pm
So you're saying that when I click on MPE view on the note grid, that entire section may not work because some VSTs aren't MPE compatible? How will I know which ones are compatible? I mean, so far, pitchbending by clicking on the note and making a line to where you want the note to go isn't working on Serum, Analog Lab V, or Vital. I have a feeling there is a button I am not pressing or enabling or something. Do you think that might be the case?
Have you gotten it to work at all? One way to test is drag WaveTable into midi channel (because WaveTable has MPE on by default), add a long note, select Clip View tab, then create 3 points on the line that's on the node, drag the middle one down, then hit play. The single note should pitch bend. And just to be sure, add a second note and do the same thing to ensure that the bending is per note.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:41 pm

surgeanthem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 pm
How will I know which ones are compatible?
User guides / documentations / google....
Ableton Forum Moderator

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Not all plugins report to Ableton they are MPE capable, in that instance, right click on the Plugin, and enable MPE, ensure with the plugin MPE is also enabled if neccessary. Also do not forget for your MPE controller, you may need to turn MPE on within Ableton midi preferences.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P