Is there a MIDI Controller that can Hot-Swap Presets?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pajhonka

Is there a MIDI Controller that can Hot-Swap Presets?

Post by pajhonka » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi,
I would love to use a MIDI Controller to be able to hot-swap Instrument presets.

I currently have the Novation LaunchKey 49 and was wondering if this is possible with it or possibly another MIDI Controller.

Thank you!

slow.robot

Re: Is there a MIDI Controller that can Hot-Swap Presets?

Post by slow.robot » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:46 pm

still new to Ableton, and not super familiar with the hot swap functionality, but you can set up something pretty similar with the new macro snapshots feature. you can map the different snapshots to a MIDI controller. the potential downside is the snapshots are limited to 16, and it doesn’t allow you to easily use existing presets.

here’s a Reddit post with a vid showing how to do that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MusicProductio ... ame=iossmf

pajhonka

Post by pajhonka » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Thanks for the reply and video. Hot swapping is when you click on this icon which opens the factory Instrument presets.

So if I wanted to create, say, an Analog Bass Instrument with presets, I could hot-swap the presets manually, create a macro snapshot for each, then link the snapshots to a MIDI Controller? It sounds like a lot of work, but maybe something I would only need to do once for my favorite instruments.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:27 pm

pajhonka wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:02 pm
Thanks for the reply and video. Hot swapping is when you click on this icon which opens the factory Instrument presets.

So if I wanted to create, say, an Analog Bass Instrument with presets, I could hot-swap the presets manually, create a macro snapshot for each, then link the snapshots to a MIDI Controller? It sounds like a lot of work, but maybe something I would only need to do once for my favorite instruments.
thanks!

yeah, I think that should work, depending on the setup. it doesn't seem to work with sample-based instruments though, unless your presets are all using the same sample--the parameters change the way you'd expect, when you switch snapshots, but the sample stays the same, even if you pull in a new one, and switch back to an earlier snapshot.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Yes, you would be able to use ClyphX Pro's Snap feature to capture the current settings of a device, then use this snap to recall them after making changes. One of the useful features for sounddesign is to bind this recall to a Macrobat encoder and then morph to the previous settings with a twist of a macro dial.

Cheers
D