E-RM Multiclock and Ableton Setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrfr0sty

Post by mrfr0sty » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:49 am

Hi,

I'm having an issue with setting up the E-RM Multiclock with Ableton. Just using one synth (Sub37) to start simple.

1. E-RM plugin is setup on a standard Midi Track sending an audio signal out from RME UCX output #6 to Multiclock audio in - OK
2. E-RM receives the audio signal and sets the clock - OK
3. Changing BPM in Ableton, changes the BPM on the Multiclock - OK
4. External Instrument is used to send Midi notes to the Multiclock via USB - OK
5. Multiclock forwards the Midi notes to Multiclock Midi Din Output #2 which is connected to the Sub 37 - OK
6. Audio from the Sub37 is routed from RME UCX Input #6 to Ableton Audio Track - OK
7. Recorded audio (Monitor Off) on the Audio Track is perfectly in sync with the metronome - OK

My problem is, that the physical controls on the Multiclock do not affect the Sub37 or the recorded audio.

I.e.
- If I turn the Multiclock Shift to -100ms, the recorded audio is still on the grid (sync with metronome)
- If I turn the Multiclock Shift to +100ms, the recorded audio is still on the grid (sync with metronome)
- If I turn Multiclock Shuffle to 99%, the recorded audio is still on the grid (sync with metronome)

I have tried this with a Sub37, Summit and Pulse 2. They all exhibit the same behaviour. The Multiclock physical controls have no effect on any Midi Din output channel.

Have any users of the Multiclock come across and resolved this issue? It's driving me crazy as the Multiclock just seems like it's routing, but not actually controlling.

E-RM have not been responding to emails, so looking here for help!

Last edited by mrfr0sty on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Williams

Re: E-RM Multiclock and Ableton Setup

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:15 am

I do not own the ERM, but have nearly bought one on many occasions, but why are you sending the audio from sub37 into it, pretty sure the erm plugin generates its own audio for the multiclock sync.

An interesting video to watch on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqNOML5nbEE&t=1022s around 11:30 he goes into way he has it setup.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

mrfr0sty

Post by mrfr0sty » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:48 am

Hi, the audio from the Sub37 is going into an RME UCX, not the E-RM Multiclock.

I've followed that video before, but it doesn't go into the issue I'm describing.

h:nez

Post by h:nez » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi,
the shift and shuffle controls influence a clock signal. So if you use an output from the ERM to clock an external sequencer, the clock signal of this sequencer is then shifted and shuffled. Thats the main use case for the ERM: to sync external sequencers to a DAW ( or whatever you use as input signal, can also be a lfo of a modular synthesizer f. e.).
Incoming Midi notes are just forwarded by the ERM to the output (i have not tested this, so maybe i‘m wrong, but your description makes me think so).
PC/Win10/RME FW802
APC40/Clavia Micromodular/Sherman FB2
Vermona DRM MK2/Dynacord VRS23/H9/BIM
Minimoog Voyager AE/Modular/Argon8/RD6/TD3
Live Suite/Reaktor/SomeFreePlugs/
____
draw a straight line and follow it
soundcloud
youtube
facebook

mrfr0sty

Post by mrfr0sty » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 am

Thanks h:nez,

I'm starting to think this Multiclock is pointless. Since all I want is my hardware devices to play notes in sync.

This device only sets the clock, which Ableton can do anyway.

So I don't really get what value this device has?

h:nez

Post by h:nez » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Hi,

as i said above: to sync external clocks (f.e. clock of a sequencer) sample accurate to the DAW. You could do that also with midi but midi clock from a computer is not always as precise. I use it to sync the Doepfer Darktime, the Beatstep Pro, the Octatrack and some clocks of my modular rack to the DAW (=Live). The ERM makes this procedure very easy and flexible (i can time shift sequencers, introduce shuffle, use midi, use analog clock).
To play notes in sync just send the notes out via a midi interface and use the external instrument rack to correct for hardware latency so, if you record audio, it is in line with Ableton timing.
PC/Win10/RME FW802
APC40/Clavia Micromodular/Sherman FB2
Vermona DRM MK2/Dynacord VRS23/H9/BIM
Minimoog Voyager AE/Modular/Argon8/RD6/TD3
Live Suite/Reaktor/SomeFreePlugs/
____
draw a straight line and follow it
soundcloud
youtube
facebook

mrfr0sty

Post by mrfr0sty » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Thanks h:nez, I've ditched the multiclock and am just using the negative 'Track Delay' in Ableton. My three external synths are in sync with Ableton for no extra cost.

Novation Summit: -1.90ms
Subsequent 37: -0.50ms
Pulse 2: -1.05ms

It should be a good post for people thinking about buying this expensive device. It does not have any benefit at all with syncing synths that are being sequenced by Ableton.

It has one benefit that you advise with syncing multiple external sequencers with Ableton., but I do not have sequencers.

Dunburu2

Post by Dunburu2 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:58 am

Respectfully disagree!!
the ERM Multiclock is the industry standard device for sync'ing out of the box instruments with in the box instruments.
Every person's midi requirements are different however. FOr example, some may have just one external device.. some may have whole room full.
The more devices the more sync problems you have.
If you have one or two devices, sure Ableton's sync solutions can help.

if you have multiple, you start running into problems and that's when a Multiclock comes to the rescue.
In my case I have various different drum machines and synths all with their own interpretations of the sync clock. Daisy chaining doesn't help. Neither does Live's various sync tricks. The only thing I've found that does, is the ERM Multiclock.
Unfortunately it can be a little tricky to understand if you're not familiar with problem solving these kinds of issues not helped by unhelpful support and an OKAY manual (there are worse out there to be fair) and that's usually the point where most people who've hit a brick wall, give up and sell it.

Persevere however and once you get to grips with it, the sound of all of your external devices perfectly in sync with your in the box instruments is potentially the most beautiful sound you'll ever hear!! ;)

NeonBlackCat

Post by NeonBlackCat » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:46 pm

Hej OP

Have you been able to sync Ableton TO the E-RM clock successfully?

As in: the clock gives the tempo and Ableton follows?
Stable, reliable, all the time and everything using the clock is also not wonky and weird?

It is a feature built into Ableton and I don’t get why they have it, it it’s unusable at all!