Delay on a audio clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itsmeasad

Delay on a audio clip

Post by itsmeasad » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:56 pm

I duplicated my vocal audio clip and applied 100% wet delay to second track. Now certain parts I don't want the delay, but even though I split and drag deleted those parts, the delay effect still plays those parts. I even tried consolidating the delay track bits but it still includes the removed part. What do I need to do to completely remove certain parts from an audio clip so they don't get picked up in the delay effect?

jestermgee

Re: Delay on a audio clip

Post by jestermgee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 pm

You would need to post a screenshot of what you are referring to.

If you have a second track and a delay just on that track and have sections you have cut (with no audio showing) then the image in my mind is there should be no delay when the playhead hits these parts. You seem to suggest that even though there is no actual audio in these sections, it is playing as if there is which I would need to see an image or video as either you have something setup wrong or a routing issue somewhere.

itsmeasad

Post by itsmeasad » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:44 pm

You got it just right. But I'll post the pic later tonight.

itsmeasad

Post by itsmeasad » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:05 am

You can see the image here

https://pasteboard.co/JSv7E6P.jpg

The highlighted delay vocal track is 100% wet and Ive split the clip and drag deleted the parts I don't want. Yet the delay clip plays the entire clip even the missing parts.

properLofi

Post by properLofi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:39 pm

And there’s definitely no delays on the other vocal track or the group? Otherwise this is definitely a fault. Without actually getting into the project in person this seems counter to how Ableton behaves for me. I’ve definitely set up exactly the same in the past and it has worked perfectly. Assuming no user error I think this might be a technical support issue.

itsmeasad

Post by itsmeasad » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 pm

Hmmm I ended up using automation to achieve it. Weird.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 pm

Those are some really long delay times. An entire bar for one of them.

I think maybe you’re trying to silence the delay effect from playing on top of certain vocal parts, but you can’t ‘remove’ a delay tail simply by muting the section of the source at the moments you want it to be quiet.

Your decision to go with automation is probably one of the more clear options. I’m assuming you automated the level of something that is controlled after the delay, like the channel volume.