Unusually high cpu usage in Ableton 11

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Unusually high cpu usage in Ableton 11

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:47 pm

cskracer wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:30 am
Whilst I understand what the new CPU functionality does, the sheer number of reports by confused users should be a red flag to the team. Whilst the new approach is functioning as intending, it's only causing concern and confusion amongst a fair number of users.

Perhaps there is another way that can be used to communicate what the CPU meter is doing now? As you say the actual peaks don't matter that much unless there's audio drop outs, but it's fairly clear that's not how users are seeing it.
Agreed...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Guitarlos

Post by Guitarlos » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 am

I think I understand the change in the new Ableton functionality too. However, if it were only a matter of a difference in CPU meter readings I would just ignore the new higher CPU readings I am getting on my Mac PowerBook 2018 (6-core intel Core i9) running Catalina 10.15.7

However it is not just that. When running a set in Ableton 10 (i.e., 10 tracks with some reasonably intensive audio effects and instruments) my fan may run slowly for part of the set, and Task Manager shows that 3 of my cores are active at low levels. The same set (translated to Live 11) has my CPU overload meter in the red immediately, and the fan on my computer is running at high speed, with 6 cores showing heavy work. The computer is, of course, much hotter as well.

I deduce that this is a real difference, and not just a difference in how CPU usage is reported. If I am wrong about this I would appreciate being sent in the right direction. However, so far I have read through two threads on this problem and have yet to see a reasonable solution.

Given how may others have similar reports, I would hope that they file all a support report with Ableton (which I have done), and go back to using Live 10 in the meantime until this problem is addressed in an update.

baseliner

Post by baseliner » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:58 pm

same here...

Spitfire Brass Long Hollow-Brass Quartet > playing only a few notes up to 20%! only samples... :roll:

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 pm

baseliner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:58 pm
same here...

Spitfire Brass Long Hollow-Brass Quartet > playing only a few notes up to 20%! only samples... :roll:
ignore the numbers. the numbers are a lie. 😅 I say that only partially jokingly—the most important thing to worry about is whether you’re actually encountering playback issues (pops/clicks, etc.).
Last edited by slow.robot on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fraserm

Post by fraserm » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Just dropping by to say "Me Too". I`m gutted at the moment to not be able to use Ableton due to these issues.

I`m running a more than capable Microsoft Surfacebook 2 with the specs below, and I hear pops/crackles under the most basic of scenarios - creating a new live set, set the MIDI track up with one of the piano Instruments, and play a bunch of notes (not even recording them):

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2112 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16GM RAM
1TB SSD

I know not to compare the Ableton CPU monitor with the System CPU Monitor, but I`ve recorded this video where I`m idling in Ableton - literally doing nothing, and the Ableton "Current" CPU monitor is jumping up and down often over 100% (ie. pop and crackle territory) while my system CPU is sitting there doing not much at all. I`m literally doing nothing in ableton at this stage, I havent even recorded anything!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/b01a90 ... 322/5f3a80

I`m all up to date on OS/Firmware.

thanks
Fraser

maxweisel

Post by maxweisel » Wed May 19, 2021 6:18 pm

This is happening to me too. Live 10 works perfectly, Live 11 I can get maybe a few plug-ins going. Same OS, same machine (16-inch MBP max'd out), same session files even! I can squeeze about 20% as much out of Live 11 as I can out of Live 10.

At the moment I'm basically using the take lanes in Live 11, then grabbing the takes and making a new Live 10 set so I can do mixing... It's such a pain!!

Max

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu May 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Got those extra spikes when dragging things around (plugin mainly).
So far I got once an audio dropout when moving a plugin from one track to another (Valhalla Supermassive AU), something that with Live 10 didn't create any spike nor dropout. Live 11.02 here
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu May 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Once again, please send a proper bug report to support@ableton.com if you observe worth performances in L11 compared to L10.
thanks
Ableton Forum Moderator

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed May 26, 2021 12:47 pm

Sorry for being naive but since Live 6 I didn't need to open a bug.
Can you point me to the procedure?

Thanks
Cheers
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu May 27, 2021 8:30 am

Pasha wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:47 pm
Sorry for being naive but since Live 6 I didn't need to open a bug.
Lucky you!
Just try to detail the steps involved so support can try to reproduce. Don't forget to list your setup (os, Live/Max version and every gear that could be relevant).
Email this to support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu May 27, 2021 11:18 am

Thank you Jur.
I'll do that.

It might be that my workflow is simpler than average so that I have never hit showstoppers so far.
Maybe it's becuase I am a Guitar and Bass Player so MIDI and VST are a few and not used extensively.
For me Ableton Live has delivered inspiration, songs and constant output.
Developing a new release during the 'Apple Silicon' storm is hard.

Cheers
Pasha
Mac Studio M1

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon May 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Just emailed Ableton Support.
Mac Studio M1

djdonmecca

Post by djdonmecca » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Same Problem! I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9, 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, and 8TB SSD. I migrated my setting from a 2013 in which I calibrated. I haven't tweaked it yet to this model but out the box based on the previous settings, if anything it should be improved and in fact I should be able to crank up the settings to achieve the least amount of latency. I should not be having any CPU overload whatsoever because this iMac is a monster and shreds threw multiple other intensive programs at the same time. I will tweak the settings again but clearly this is a problem with the software that they need to address

I'll keep you guys posted

maxweisel

Post by maxweisel » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Has anyone found a workaround for this? I filed a support ticket last month, but after sending a system status report the thread went dead :(

Max

.marc.

Post by .marc. » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:34 am

I also opened a support-ticket and corresponding with them. I reinstalled my Mac, only installed Ableton and got more cpu-usage, artifacts and so on as before. I used the "demo song" from them and recorded a video... now I wait... hopefully I will read a bit faster from them :)

if the problem will not disappear, i think I will try to get all my money back (Version 10 + Upgrade to 11 + Push 2). after that I need to change the DAW. with THIS release I'm absolutely losing fun to make music... it is... what should I say... you all know