Looper multi-function double tap problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dreadlobster

Looper multi-function double tap problem

Post by dreadlobster » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:34 pm

Hello, hopefully I'm just missing something...

In the manual it says that double tapping the multi purpose button on the looper stops the loop. It does stop the loop. But... in the flow chart in the manual, the double tap appears to "bypass" the overdub function. That would be ideal, I think that's the same way the single button Boss and Helix loopers work.

However, in practice, when I double tap it, it overdubs for that split second before the second tap. So it stops the loop, but if I don't undo before restarting it I'm stuck with one brief blast of whatever I was just playing overdubbed onto the track whenever I restart it.

This also makes using the undo feature to undo/redo something purposefully (such as for background vocals) impossible to do if there's any stopping of the track required.

I'm using a behringer fcb1010... I thought maybe it was an issue with the type of midi message I was sending but its not, because the same thing happens when I double click the button with my mouse.

I've read just about every other thread about the looper that I can find and I haven't seen anyone else complain about this so I feel like I must be just missing a setting or something... Anyone have any ideas?

If I could sort out this and the undo glitch where it jumps back to the previously recorded track after clearing, I would be basically all set.

dreadlobster

Re: Looper multi-function double tap problem

Post by dreadlobster » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:36 pm

Also, still trying to figure out the same thing as this guy in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=157074

It appears a moderator answered him incorrectly and then just locked the thread. All of the threads I can find about this subject were locked years ago and never answered. Is that to be expected around here?

Still can't figure out how to Redo using the multi-purpose transport button. The manual clearly states that it can do this, its in the flowchart. Doesn't work for me though. Same as in that other thread, I've tried it with my mouse clicking on the button just to make sure its not a midi issue.

I realize I can use the dedicated undo/redo button, and that works (aside from the glitch where it brings back previously cleared material, which is also referenced here in decade old locked threads with no solution). But that sort of defeats the purpose of this button, and if I do this for several loops I run out of foot switches pretty quickly.

I still feel like I'm missing something... has this feature really just been broken this whole time?

dreadlobster

Post by dreadlobster » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:08 pm

Well that was unexpected. At least I know we're not all dumb.

Support got back to me and said the looper indeed doesn't work as described in the manual. Never has, and probably never will.

Why not just update the manual?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 pm

It's not the threads that are locked, but the whole sub-forum actually.
So you're having 2 issues, right?
1) the burst of audio when stopping with double tap
2) hold the pedal doesn't undo
Is that right?
Ableton Forum Moderator

dreadlobster

Post by dreadlobster » Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Not sure if that makes it better or worse. Still seems like having a mod reply to one of those threads with something similar to what support told me would be quick and easy. Or say it in this thread. Or the manual could be updated, which would also be very easy. Seems crazy they would knowingly just have incorrect info in the manual for a decade, right? Support took weeks to get back to me and was sure to mention several times how swamped they are. Kinda seems self inflicted in this case though.

Anyway...

Yes. Those are the issues.

And the fact that redo doesn't work from the multi function button at all, in any way, as far as I can tell.