200 GO de RAM

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dan06

200 GO de RAM

Post by dan06 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:48 am

Hello,

I just tested 11 I have the same problem as on 10

I want to prepare titles on 16 tracks, in order to have a range of variation without having to dig into the ableton browser, for faster access I want to have my 15 plugins for each track and that for each title. the problem is that the memory fills up immediately. Why ?

here is my procedure:
in a rack-group of instrument I left 15 plugins, from 1 to 15 on macro 1

TRACK 1 -----------------

Rack group 1
plugin1
plugin2
plugin3
plugin4
plugin5
plugin6
plugin7
plugin8
plugin9
plugin10

I group a second time to create a group by title

Title 1> Group Rack 1
plugin1
plugin2
plugin3
plugin4
plugin5
plugin6
plugin7
plugin8
plugin9
plugin10

Title 2> Group Rack 2
plugin1
plugin2
plugin3
plugin4
plugin5
plugin6
plugin7
plugin8
plugin9
plugin10
Title 3>
Same
title 30>

I have about 30 titles

then I duplicate the track 16 times in order to create 16 tracks for 30 titles

TRACK 1 ----------------- TRACK 2 ----------------- TRACK 3 ---------- -------> etc .. up to 16 tracks
Title 1> Title 1>
Title 2> Title 2> ...
Title 3> Title 3> ...
... etc up to 30 ... etc up to 30

And so the problem is

(10 plugins X 30 titles) X 16 Tracks = 4800 ??? loading plugins

i.e. about 200 Gigats of RAM only for plugins IMPOSSIBLE TO LOAD, LIVE REFUSED

---------------------

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO DO IT?
IF THERE IS A METHOD

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

pottering

Re: 200 GO de RAM

Post by pottering » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Plugins use RAM, your assumption "only plugins" won't use RAM is completely wrong.

200 GB divided by 4800 is about 41 MB, not even that much (a plugin with bitmap 4k GUI will use a lot more).

There is no method to remove RAM usage from software.

Just learn how to use the Browser.

For example you can save those Racks you built as .adg presets (with meaningful names, maybe in a folder you can add to Places for fast access) and load them as needed, instead of loading them all at once.
♥♥♥

dan06

Post by dan06 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks for this common sense answer, indeed it is better to load than "useful", by preparing the elements in the browser.
But I want to play live, and not compose, so I don't have to touch the mouse during a session. Loading a track or an instrument or a group of instruments from the browser is subject to "error" and also creates a micro cut in the audio driver, "audible" which is not ideal, with 1000 w in operation. I do not understand why live loads the entire plugin when we are not using it, it should load only the "address" and wait for the call to load the plugin into memory ?? weird that he doesn't proceed like some others do.
in any case thank you for your answer,
Live is a very good system,
but unless I'm mistaken, not designed for Live!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:27 am

If live didn’t load a plugin to memory when you add it, it would have to load it at some point so would still have the same issue when it loads magically as you suggest than loading when you add it.

Live has served people for over 20 years for live performance. Maybe you need to design your set more structured so you don’t have to load hundreds of plugins to improv with. Live has limits like everything else so you need to work within them. Not sure any DAW will do what you need.

silentio246

Post by silentio246 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am

You could try midi program change (PC). I use VST plugins in LIVE.
Most plugins support PC. It can be controlled by midiclips (PGM+BANK change) or midicontroller in LIVE.
Midi standard is max. 128 presets/bank. Loading time and audibility depends on the plugin (and the computer), but should be realistic for a live scenario. Also you can mute the channel of the plugin when noise occurs from selecting the preset.
Additionally you could use racks and select the plugin by the chain selector.

dan06

Post by dan06 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm

Hello and thank you for your answers,

buffoon> no he could load in memory only the use and keep the addresses waiting for a call ready in the racks, so there would only be the plugins in listening which would be in real memory, the rest ready just waiting for '' be requested by the audio signal, as vip3 does very well, which allows you to group together hundreds of sound addresses, banks, plugins, but only loads the sounds that sound useful at the time of the selections, it loads the last selection , and pushes the others up to the capacity of the ram, then frees the ram when no more room.

silentio246> I'm looking for info on the midiclips parameter, if you have addresses, I'm a taker,> for the cut, no it is a cut of the pilot directly, so impossible to mutate a track to import an instrument without agreement the "click or the clack".

silentio246

Post by silentio246 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:58 pm

Here i found s.th. about midiclip-program change.
It applies also for vst-plugins: STEP 8, POINT 3

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -with-Live

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Buffoon?

:D

Good luck chump. Don’t understand a word ur saying anyway.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:44 am

Everyone - Leave the name calling out of the forum or we'll lock the thread.
Ableton Forum Administrator

dan06

Post by dan06 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 pm

[erm] wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:44 am
Everyone - Leave the name calling out of the forum or we'll lock the thread.
OU FAUT IL APPUYER POUR REPONDRE A UN MESSAGE ???????

Tout en Bas il y a " poster une reponse" mais apparament ce n'est pas cela ??

je suis en France, j'utilise la traduction google

properLofi

Post by properLofi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:54 pm

It’s probably not what you want to hear but people who use Live for live performance build their set to work for live performance. Rather than expecting the software to behave how they want it to they utilise what it can and does do very well to build a set that works.

Freeze and flatten MIDi to audio with effects included, minimise the amount of “work” Live has to do to the minimum required, use hardware instruments, send multi-channel audio to the front of house engineer for additional processing and effects. Live is very powerful but you can’t expect it to be able to handle that amount of plugins in one set.

If other software can do that and provide all of the benefits of Live then I would suggest you use that software instead. Though I would guess that the other software will have its own limitations that Live works without.

dan06

Post by dan06 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:07 am

properLofi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:54 pm
It’s probably not what you want to hear but people who use Live for live performance build their set to work for live performance. Rather than expecting the software to behave how they want it to they utilise what it can and does do very well to build a set that works.

Freeze and flatten MIDi to audio with effects included, minimise the amount of “work” Live has to do to the minimum required, use hardware instruments, send multi-channel audio to the front of house engineer for additional processing and effects. Live is very powerful but you can’t expect it to be able to handle that amount of plugins in one set.

If other software can do that and provide all of the benefits of Live then I would suggest you use that software instead. Though I would guess that the other software will have its own limitations that Live works without.
Bonjour, j'ecris en French
Oui c'est vrai, ableton est un tres bon logiciel, tres complet, et stable, mais je regrette juste certain petites choses qui semblerai pourtant logique, au regard de la qualité de ce programme, il y a manifestement des choses qui ne vont pas, mais ce n'est pas grave. merci cordialement

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 pm

dan06 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:07 am
properLofi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:54 pm

Bonjour, j'ecris en French
But this is an english speaking forum, so please write in english. thanks.
Ableton Forum Moderator

dan06

Post by dan06 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Hello and thank you,
what poses me problem, it is difficult to listen to the sounds included in the navigator, the single note proposed, while clicking on the sound, does not allow to know how the sound reacts to the play of a keyboard, or of a midi clip, to know, it would be necessary to be able to use the sound during the course of the song, this is not possible, it is regrettable that Live does not know how to inject a midi stream into the browser, in order to be able to listen to each sound in playing conditions. This will include looking for plugins which, on the other hand, once loaded, allow you to change the sound without having to load the track, by benefiting from the playing of the keyboard or midi clip. may be in version 12. best regards from france