Gear Recommendations for Live Performances

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luckykat

Gear Recommendations for Live Performances

Post by luckykat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:44 pm

I've been working on my own sound & built up enough songs to form a set to play live shows (when COVID allows).

- Can anyone recommend gear and live setups that are more interesting than just Pioneer decks? I got a DDJ-400 for Christmas & got bored with it fast. I need something more hands on.

- How do I sync up the gear with Ableton Live?

- Any good FX units that you use?

Thanks for your help & suggestions!
:D

Tarekith

Re: Gear Recommendations for Live Performances

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 pm

Why not use Live for this, that's what it was created for :)

Otherwise if you have to have hardware, I think the MC707 or Octatrack are probably my favorite depending on if you prefer synthesis or sample based playing.

sinnersoid

Post by sinnersoid » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 am

I like as many knobs as possible on a MIDI controller. It wasn't inexpensive, but my favorite MIDI controller is my Faderfox PC12. One day, I'll pair it with an MX12.

I used to use an old Behringer BCR2000, but it went haywire - and it gave me wrist pain while performing live with it because the knobs required much friction to turn.

Also, Live can map parameters toggled between two points on most computer keyboard keys - ~ through +, q through \, A through ', Z through / - so your computer's keyboard is already a performance controller of many toggle switches. This is done through Key Map Mode (Ctrl+K for PC or Command+K for Mac)

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:47 am

Tarekith wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 pm
Why not use Live for this, that's what it was created for :)

Otherwise if you have to have hardware, I think the MC707 or Octatrack are probably my favorite depending on if you prefer synthesis or sample based playing.
I will use Live 11. But I don't just want to hit play :wink:
I want to take the stems and create a set that feels spontaneous as I mix in the tracks into my set. Thanks for the reccies for the hardware. The MC707 seems staggeringly high ($1000) for a basic mixer for a live set. And the Octactrack is $1500. Why are these products so expensive? Have you used the AKAI APC 40 mkII?

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 am

sinnersoid wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 am
I like as many knobs as possible on a MIDI controller. It wasn't inexpensive, but my favorite MIDI controller is my Faderfox PC12. One day, I'll pair it with an MX12.

I used to use an old Behringer BCR2000, but it went haywire - and it gave me wrist pain while performing live with it because the knobs required much friction to turn.

Also, Live can map parameters toggled between two points on most computer keyboard keys - ~ through +, q through \, A through ', Z through / - so your computer's keyboard is already a performance controller of many toggle switches. This is done through Key Map Mode (Ctrl+K for PC or Command+K for Mac)
Thanks for your great ideas. Is that the XTUGA MX12? It looks great value for $100. Can you give me an example of how you used FaderFox with your laptop/DAW for a live set?

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 am

luckykat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 am
sinnersoid wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 am

Thanks for your great ideas. Is that the XTUGA MX12? It looks great value for $100. Nice idea re: keyboard as MIDI device but I would be terrified of catching the spacebar or hitting something that would stop the music!
Can you give me an example of how you used FaderFox with your laptop/DAW for a live set?