Configuring new MacBook for live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lmoore98

Configuring new MacBook for live

Post by Lmoore98 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:35 am

Hi all, just upgraded my laptop to an Apple Macbook m1 with 16gb RAM. It runs Ableton way smoother in terms of no glitches, crashes and loads everything super fast, however the CPU usage (inside Ableton) is not the best, might even be slightly worse than my old laptop). It idles at 4% and once instance of serum, (basically stock just turned the filter on and turned the reverb on) and I added one echo effect for test purposes and it bounces between 25 and 30%.No voices of unison or anything. Is this normal? my old laptop rarely ever idled with any % usage.

Im running at 512 sample rate, Im using a thunderbolt 3 powered dock with my Komplete audio 2 usb sound card plugged into that. Im playing the audio via my Yamahas's. Im running live 10 suite.

I only really noticed it because a not so big project started to glitch as the cpu hit over 100%. It's not terrible but diffs not running as well as I thought it would, and feel like I've seen other people have much better results.

This is my first Mac so I'm not sure if I have set it up and configured it to run live optimally.